Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 8,635 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Tampa area and heard rumors on sinkhole activity in Brandon and Valrico. We would like to buy a home somewhere there but now are hesitant to do so. Would appreciate any advise or comments on this issue. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 11:58 PM

12 posts, read 62,596 times
Gosh. I'm scared of that too!

Old 04-19-2007, 09:40 PM

523 posts, read 2,822,642 times
I lived there for 10 yrs never heard of one. About a year ago a sink hole swallowed a lake , Lake Scott, drained it dry. They did some work on it and now the lake is filling up again nicely. I wouldnt avoid moving to Brandon Area due to sink holes. I personally love the area.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:11 PM

713 posts, read 2,661,076 times
I've never seen one. Long term residents we know there haven't either.

The Spring Hill house we are selling is on a bit of a hill and the ground beneath it has been sturdy for many, many years. I see no evidence of a sink hole there or anywhere in Hernando Co., FL.

Note: On lots that are wet and swampy in a drought, well, what will they be like in rainy weather. Check out the land carefully before you build or buy.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:48 AM

12 posts, read 52,327 times
We were looking at a house in Brandon and our insurance company (USAA) said they would take 45 days to have the property evaluated and inspected for any risk of sink holes so there are definitely issues out there as far as insurers are concerned. We ended up buying in South Tampa and love it.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 30,135 times
Sinkholes occur throughout Florida, although many people believe them to be primarily located only in the north Tampa counties. This isn't true - sinkholes and sinkhole activity can be found from Miami to Tallahassee, and everywhere in between. There have even been sinkholes found on Davis Island in the downtown Tampa area. No matter where you live, it is ESSENTIAL that you carry sinkhole coverage on your homeowners insurance policy!

Watch out for signs of sinkhole activity at your home or at possible homes you're looking to purchase. Signs of sinkhole activity include what is commonly mistaken as "normal settlement" - such as cracking on exterior walls, including cracks that look like "stair steps," abnormal water or electric bills, plumbing problems, sticking or jamming doors or windows, strange house noises, dead patches of grass or plants (sometimes in a circular pattern). If these signs are evident, BE CAUTIOUS!

For more information about signs of sinkhole activity, check out my law firm's website at SinkHole Law - Byrne Law Group

John Byrne
Byrne Law Group
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay