U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Would you have a problem if they designated a SECTION of Ft Desoto to clothing optional sunbathing?
Male - No Problem at all, and I would visit! 107 43.15%
Male - No Problem at all, I would not visit 31 12.50%
Male - there should be no nudity on Pinellas Beaches 25 10.08%
Male - Other 1 0.40%
Female - No Problem at all, and I would visit! 31 12.50%
Female - No Problem at all, I would not visit 27 10.89%
Female - there should be no nudity on Pinellas Beaches 22 8.87%
Female - Other 4 1.61%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,340,104 times
Reputation: 2141

Advertisements

I am really trying VERY HARD to watch what I'm writing here....however I will answer this:
"do you stare at the genital area of fat unattractive people in bathing suits? i assume not" Your assumption is correct...I don't, I also go to the beach very early in the am before everyone starts pouring in.....and I don't think you can "see" their genitals anymore being that there are several layers hanging over them! sorry if you had a visual.........I am laughing at loud tho! I am sorry......really, you're not making this thread easy to reply too.....

My point is this: if you MUST have one of these beaches reserved for nudists, fine, just don't spend my tax dollars for it.....find a private investor who wants to buy that piece of beach and go for it.....I look forward in reading the front page of St Pete Times: "Nudist attacked by sex offender"! LOLOL I think you know that sex offenders don't really care if someone is 90lbs or 400lbs...they usually have one thing in mind and that really has no fat boundaries! LOLOLOL

 
Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
 
25 posts, read 132,825 times
Reputation: 35
btw, the characterization of nude beaches in europe is way off the mark. in france and spain for example, they are everywhere, all kinds of people -young old fat skinny ugly and beautiful- go to them, and nobody blinks an eye. in germany people sunbathe nude in city parks, and it's the same in the netherlands. there are nude beaches on lakes and rivers in czech repulic and hungary as well, and rumania and bulgaria have nude beaches on the black sea. i'm sure have mud baths and the lioke, but that's not by any means the majority.

it appears you guys just can't conceive of people being naked in public without it being some sort of sex-related strip show. all i can is that experience-in Miami, in Europe, in California, proves you wrong, over and over, without a doubt.

and finally (i am not going to post anymore, at least for a few days), with respect to the issue of why people want to be nude at a beach, i'll say what bikers say about riding harleys, and others say about other things: if you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer. meaning, if it's not intuitively obvious why it's nice to be naked in the sun on the beach or swimming in the gulf, then all the rational argument and explanation in the world -about the feeling of freedom, the feeling of the sun on your whole body, the comfort of not wearing wet sandy swimsuits, etc etc - isn't going to explain it to you or change your mind. you either getb it or you don't. which is not to say that people who initially are against don't change their minds over time. many have and do. but, not as a result of someone convincing them. they have to come to it on their own, perhaps in part due to seeing a good example. but basically, i don't expect to be able to change anyone's mind about wanting to do it. on the other hand, as a question of public policy, even someone who's against it should understand that it can exist without infringing on your life in any way, and should be willing to let others do things that person doesn't approve of.
 
Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,340,104 times
Reputation: 2141
the difference is that you will be spending TAX DOLLARS on a sand in hidden places fetish! seriously.....what would poses anyone to go to the beach nude is beyond me...when schools get their budgets cut, teachers get their pay cut and Publix is raising the price for bread! OK! this is a useless waste of money. Period.
 
Old 04-23-2010, 10:53 AM
 
14,449 posts, read 29,007,495 times
Reputation: 16698
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I don't agree, I don't see the purpose at all.....and @ Ft De Soto even less.

You know, in Europe we do have designated beaches for nudists, however, most of them are for therapeutic purposes, there is this mud they rub all over themselves and it supposed to really help with rheumatism. That I can understand, they are very isolated and ppl are covered with that mud stuff.
However I think HERE this will be HIGHLY ABUSED, especially in Florida/Tampa with all the sex-offenders around. I also think unless this is privately funded by some pervert who wants to assume responsibility for the "peep hole" ppl who WILL be present.......I don't think any gov budget/city money should go into this. It would be a WASTE.
I am in agreement with algia here - in this area nude beaches would be abused.

Back in the 1980's the north end of Lido Beach in Sarasota was a topless beach. There were a lot of problems, and it attracted a LOT of creeps! People started complaining, and the topless beach was no more. I sure don't want MY tax $$$ spent on that. As others have suggested, anyone wanting such a beach should make it a privately funded venture. And by the way, for those who don't know, there are plenty of articles on the web about how nudist camps are filled with perverts. I am not saying every nudist is a pervert, but pervs are attracted to places like that.
 
Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Hmmm, let me think.
3,366 posts, read 7,476,788 times
Reputation: 2896
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am in agreement with algia here - in this area nude beaches would be abused.

Back in the 1980's the north end of Lido Beach in Sarasota was a topless beach. There were a lot of problems, and it attracted a LOT of creeps! People started complaining, and the topless beach was no more. I sure don't want MY tax $$$ spent on that. As others have suggested, anyone wanting such a beach should make it a privately funded venture. And by the way, for those who don't know, there are plenty of articles on the web about how nudist camps are filled with perverts. I am not saying every nudist is a pervert, but pervs are attracted to places like that.

K, here we go..... I'm telling ya.... I am going to become a politician.

Nudists can have the least used public beach and you can access the nude beach for $10 + $3 parking.

The funds created from this beach will go into a fund which has two purposes.

1. 2 Officers/Park Ranger at the beach to keep the creeps out and hopefully keep Tampa from having bad publicity in the news (I have a feeling cops will be scrambling to get this detail).

2. The extra monies after paying for the cops will be used to maintain and keep the other beaches cleaned up.

This provides a safe and controlled area for nudists on a beach that wasn't being utilized too much anyhow and generates an income for the county and helps make the other beaches better.

Also, you never know....it could become a huge hit and Pinellas may attract lots of tourists which would be a boon to the economy. This could end up being a sustainable income for the region.


Now, for the record. I am not a fan of nude beaches. I have little desire to visit one and would never become a regular. However, I do see potential to create a product that can help make other beaches better and boost the local economy with no cost to the taxpayers.
 
Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Lincoln County Road or Armageddon
4,163 posts, read 5,356,078 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
K, here we go..... I'm telling ya.... I am going to become a politician.

Nudists can have the least used public beach and you can access the nude beach for $10 + $3 parking.

The funds created from this beach will go into a fund which has two purposes.

1. 2 Officers/Park Ranger at the beach to keep the creeps out and hopefully keep Tampa from having bad publicity in the news (I have a feeling cops will be scrambling to get this detail).

2. The extra monies after paying for the cops will be used to maintain and keep the other beaches cleaned up.

This provides a safe and controlled area for nudists on a beach that wasn't being utilized too much anyhow and generates an income for the county and helps make the other beaches better.

Also, you never know....it could become a huge hit and Pinellas may attract lots of tourists which would be a boon to the economy. This could end up being a sustainable income for the region.


Now, for the record. I am not a fan of nude beaches. I have little desire to visit one and would never become a regular. However, I do see potential to create a product that can help make other beaches better and boost the local economy with no cost to the taxpayers.
If they want a nice, safe, underutilized spot for public nudity, set up something at the county dump. And I don't care how much potential money could be involved-I'm fed up with the area I call home selling it's soul just to bring more tourists and avoiding making tough economic decisions. Believe it or not, Pinellas County (and Florida) isn't only a playground for tourists-some of us have to actually raise families here and get along as best as we can. Your right about one thing, though-this IS something Florida's idiot politicians would come up with.
 
Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,340,104 times
Reputation: 2141
First it is ROMANIA, I am from there, so I had to correct you.....yes I know, in Sweden is the same thing, Swedish ppl used to come to Romania for DECADES because of that....we are more than familiar with that, however most of them in Romania were for therapeutic purposes check out Eforie Nord (http://www.spa-romania.com/ana-aslan-spa/eforie-nord.htm - broken link) the ONLY difference is that over there, there aren't that many sex offenders! ppl are used to that and it is not a big deal, here however with as many perverts as we have IT WILL be almost dangerous for the nudists. Security alone will cost more than that. Of course news casts will be THRILLED to add to their repertoire or crimes! since it is the ONLY thing they care about.
.........and some beaches back there ARE privately owned.

I cannot walk in shorts with my husband and my 3 kids without being starred at by some creeps........everyone under 130lbs is a subject to be starred at here in Florida apparently!
 
Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
 
10,489 posts, read 7,563,228 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
First it is ROMANIA, I am from there, so I had to correct you.....yes I know, in Sweden is the same thing, Swedish ppl used to come to Romania for DECADES because of that....we are more than familiar with that, however most of them in Romania were for therapeutic purposes check out Eforie Nord (http://www.spa-romania.com/ana-aslan-spa/eforie-nord.htm - broken link) the ONLY difference is that over there, there aren't that many sex offenders! ppl are used to that and it is not a big deal, here however with as many perverts as we have IT WILL be almost dangerous for the nudists. Security alone will cost more than that. Of course news casts will be THRILLED to add to their repertoire or crimes! since it is the ONLY thing they care about.
.........and some beaches back there ARE privately owned.

I cannot walk in shorts with my husband and my 3 kids without being starred at by some creeps........everyone under 130lbs is a subject to be starred at here in Florida apparently!
Well i'm not gonna stare at any fatties.
 
Old 04-24-2010, 03:02 PM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,340,104 times
Reputation: 2141
If you go to Romania, you'll be starring at all the Swedish naked women!!! no Swedish women here for sure! You don't think that PETA ad was because of all the Swedish girls here!!!!!! LOLOL
 
Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 AM
 
25 posts, read 132,825 times
Reputation: 35
hey-i don't think there's anything for me to add, except on the "i don't want my tax dolalrs spent on a nude beach" argument. of course, the beach is already there. making a 200-400 yard strip of it clothing optional won't cost anything more. to the contrary, the basic proposals, as i outlined above, are to charge for access to the CO beach, probably by setting up a paid parking area. that would generate money not only for the CO beach but for the park as a whole.

the other point you guys are making is,if I may summarize, that a nude beach would attract a bad element-perverts, in a word. to some extent that has to be true, but there are perverts all around us anyway, trust me. the issue is whether it would be a place for perverts to do perverted things, and there, again, the answer is clearly no. the experience of Haulover (south Florida certainly doesn't have fewer perverts than Tampa Bay), not to mention nude beaches in other places in the US and Europe, proves that. the way it works in Haulover is that you have a group of volunteers who keep an eye on things, make sure everyone understands the rules, and reports people to the cops who engage in inappropriate behavior. my understanding is that haulover works fine, with few if any problems.

otherwise, i don't know how to respond to all the other comments. it seems to me just a dozen different variations on "uuuh gross". the response, which completely addresses this line of argument, is, (a) if you don't like it don't go; and (b) the way it would be set-up, there's no way anyone could go there by accident, so no chance anyone would be exposed to naked people unless that was their intention.

live and let live, is all i'm saying. if it's no skin off of your nose, what do you care?

and, as for women not being able to wear shorts without being stared at, i'll just say i'm confident that Tampa Bay is no different in terms of public staring at women, number of perverts, etc etc, than any other comparable urban area.

yes, i stand corrected on "Romania". But, isn't it true that was a change made by Ceaucescu, in the 70's or so? Before WWII the standard spelling in English was Rumania, right? In order to strengthen the historical connection to the Roman Empire, of which most of present-day Romania was a province, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top