U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 11:54 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,991,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethetruth View Post
Well I was impressed with the Saint Augustine area, it seemed to be different than the rest of Florida, even different than Daytona just a short stretch up the road. I don't know of any safe areas in Tampa, but around the Brandon mall did seem OK as far as I remember. The safe areas will be within one mile of the beach in Pinellas county, and even then it is a gamble. In Florida, rural doesnt necessarily mean safer, while the population in Tampa is 3 times larger than Lakeland, Lakeland seemed even worse.

Another area that felt relatively safe to me was Key West, but that is way down there and more dangerous due to the Hurricanes.
We used to live in Palm Harbor and felt very safe. The areas along the beach are actually the most unsafe in Clearwater due to delinquents. Trust me, if you visit Pinellas county, you'll KNOW the unsafe areas. The schools are not good in FL, and always rank very low nationally. However, genius kids have come out of slum schools in far worse areas. It will be pertinent that you truly parent them, and that they apply themselves. Hopefully as the economy improves, money will go back into improving the FL school systems. The teachers are also not treated great down here in comparison to other states. They are also extremely underpaid. That never helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:38 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,707,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawang View Post
We want to relocate to Tampa to be somewhat near family. But I have been reading your local news, Lithia teen gangs arrested, Valrico drug houses, and the school systems read underachieving. It scares me to pull my family from a known diverse and safe school system that is rated 10/10 (Temecula Ca) No bad area - all schools top rated to move to Florida where they might be thrown to the Wolves, just to be near extended family. What do middleclass families think of the Tampa area? Where are the families moving and what are the regrets?
Blown way out of proportion. Brandon? Valrico? C'mon....

Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM

161 posts, read 305,346 times
Wow Please!!! In every state there are areas to avoid in metro areas and Hello no matter which state or metro area you live in being out at night...Can we talk here ..you have to know the area is safe..I think the criticism of areas of "dangerous areas" is way overblown here in certain remarks...remember it is everywhere...Key West Hello ...its not safe at certain times of the seasons or time of night to walk there.... I have spent time recently in Riverview Valrico South Lakeland Clearwater Beach...you have to look at, talk to neighbors, do your research, go to the area...anyone and everyone has to do that ...Hey even if your moving 2 hours away in your home state...Yea got to research go there and talk to the people............Currently I live 1/2 hour away..yea only 30 minutes to an area that has Murders, Robberies and Assaults every day...Yep if you go to or live in those areas...Mmm might be risky...but we are 30 mintues away no problems, we have a huge police force, but I still wouldn't go walking at night... good luck

Old 01-24-2009, 02:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 7,763,705 times
we moved here a year ago and could not be happier! I wouldn't trade Tampa unless someone offers me a mansion in Miami Beach! (which will never happen of course) we also don't go out at night in Ybor City...or surrounding Seminole Heights etc. areas!....and I personally stopped watching the darn news! it is so "dramatized" it makes me sick to watch, and also biased! read between my lines! when we used to live in Orlando they were showing every day schools who were held at gun point!...absolutely ridiculous!
As far as schools go: 2+2=4 NO MATTER WHAT SCHOOL YOU GO TO! if you parent and teach your kids manners AT HOME, you will be sure they will turn out just fine be it in California, Florida or Mexico City!
Alex

Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 PM

161 posts, read 305,346 times
Excellent Post !! You are the voice of Wisdom . Anyone know of computer business/systems analyst jobs in Tampa ore can recommend a head hunter (hate that reference ) you can direct message me anyone thanks Kelty

Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,041,495 times
I have lived here for 4 years now. We moved from NJ. My kids went to an "A" rated school, and I still saw that the schooling is about one year lagging behind NJ. I find the kids are much nastier and downright mean than in NJ. I know other people who moved from NJ/NY and they all say the same thing.

I have switched them into a charter school. While it is better than the "A" rated school, it still is behind the schools in NJ. I live in Tampa Palms are (New Tampa) and the high school did have problems with big fights breaking out and the kids gathering around and chearing them on. Now they have a new principal and things are much better. I have not heard good things about a high school further up from me. Fights are a daily occurance.

I have supplement their education with all kinds of after school activities like french lessons, acting, saxaphone, dance, voice. The elementary school in NJ gave them a 2nd language (french or spanish), music, instrument, dance, art. Schools down here don't offer any of that. They don't have daily recess. They have recess twice a week, only if the teacher feels like it for 15 minutes.

We are stuck down here, otherwise I would move back in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay