U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:04 PM

10 posts, read 25,206 times

Advertisements

We want to relocate to Tampa to be somewhat near family. But I have been reading your local news, Lithia teen gangs arrested, Valrico drug houses, and the school systems read underachieving. It scares me to pull my family from a known diverse and safe school system that is rated 10/10 (Temecula Ca) No bad area - all schools top rated to move to Florida where they might be thrown to the Wolves, just to be near extended family. What do middleclass families think of the Tampa area? Where are the families moving and what are the regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:46 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,603,289 times
A lot of the schools are alright, depending on where you are. The state has a massive budget shortfall (in the millions. or was it billions?), so naturally they're taking money from the schools to help try and balance it out. I don't know how much that will affect the schools for next year and for a few years after that.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:24 AM

151 posts, read 493,131 times
Florida has its problems, to be sure. However, just glance through any area here on CD....read through the posts, read the local news, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of the same thing....problems with drugs, problems with latchkey kids, problems with school districts. Look in Ohio, look in Texas, look in Illinois. No place is perfect.....and quiet, good news areas are rarely in the news.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:07 AM

1,730 posts, read 2,798,470 times
I think a lot of it is blown out of proportion. Far as I know, living in Valrico, the Lithia gangs are a bunch of upper middle class spoiled white kids who listen to rap music and spray paint walls because they think they are gangters from the hood. When caught they are the ones who cry like little babies and their parents come in to bail them out saying that my Junior would never do anything like that and if he did well kids will be kids. A lot of them belong to the same church which cracks me up.

As for the Valrico drug houses, from what I know it's basically houses who grow pot. Nothing more than that and quite frankly I don't see what the big deal is. If it were meth or something else I would feel different but for pot? Give me a break. This from a county where you can't pay the sheriffs dept to investigate possible child molestation.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:19 AM

10 posts, read 25,206 times
Default Thankyou

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I wanted the scoop from locals. Most research comes from reading due to being currently on the West Coast now and this feedback puts it in prespective for me. Feedback from honest hard working people that actually live in the communities.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 884,993 times
Here is a link I posted a while back on another thread that will show you the school ratings
Florida School Performance Maps

A lot of the "Gang" activity in the nicer schools is just like Kathleen said above. Its a lot of delinquents who have wealthy parents who never chose to "raise" their kids. Whenever trouble starts, mom and dad just come and bail them out. The kids feel they are better than society and are banking on the fact that their parents will always help. Typically these same kids are the ones who bring the drugs into the schools as well. This is not limited to only Valrico. Its prevalent in North Tampa, South Tampa and all over the bay area.

Nav

Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 AM

10,058 posts, read 9,974,258 times
I haven't lived in FLA for quite awhile, but I do remember every time I turned on the news, there'd be a convenience store murder somewhere in the Tampa/Brandon/Clearwater/St Pete area. Rarely a day went by without hearing that kind of news. Wonder if it is any better decades later. I hope so since I'm returning in a few months.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:29 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,397,947 times
There is not a convenience store murder every day - there are hold ups, and shootings, but murders are not so common, I would say. They tend to be in areas that most of us would not frequent at night anyway. BucFan you will be happy here I am sure, unless you are returning from one of those few places in the world that rank as 'the best place in the USA/world/other country' to live

Old 01-15-2009, 07:54 AM

161 posts, read 226,190 times
Great Question and wonderful replies ..this is very helpful to me right now...I think the point that many folks made that if you listen to the news or read about it in the Tampa Area ..yes you would think OMG We have WMUR news and that station loves to talk about Manchester NH constantly, drugs, murders, robberies etc...reality those of us in NH know well that is in certain areas...I live 1/2 hour away from Manchester and it doesn't affect my quality of life whatsoever as another forum member stated...there is crime in every state...it depends on the area...and so you stay away from those areas....those are my thoughts IMHO

Old 01-15-2009, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,100 times
i know there must be good areas but i dont know tampa that well i do know dunedin and palm harbor are very-very nice and safe they are 20min from tampa depends on where in tampa if you want to see where its located here is an address to map quest 670 sandy hook palm harbor i moved here from chicago 8 years ago you can rent a house here monthly and look at areas around here thats what we did good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay