Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:57 PM

11 posts, read 42,462 times

Advertisements

My husband has applied for a transfer to his company's Tampa location. The plant is on the northern half of Tampa.

When we initially did a home search on Realtor dot com we were very pleased to see that home prices were less than here. I did a "20 mile radious search" which included several towns (brandon, land o lakes, Gibsonton, odessa, among others).

A brief conversation with an old friend of DH who lives in FL (not sure which part) confirmed that yes, the housing market there has taken much more of a beating and there are indeed bargains to be had. We were very excited about the prospect of getting a larger home than we have now for less money.

Then we started hearing horror stories about the homeowners insurance and property taxes and now we're really worried. What good does it do to have a lower priced house if we have to pay so much more in escrow?

The price range is $150,000 to $200,000 and 2500 SQ FT.

My questions are:

Do rates (insurance and tax) vary if we go north of tampa versus south?

What companies are writing new policies in these areas?

What is a ballpark we might expect to pay?

If anyone here has lived or spent time in the Kansas City area (actually we are in a southern burb called lees summit) and can compare way of life, cost of living, etc for me, I'd appreciate it.

Also, regarding the schools, I hear really bad things about FL schools. We have 3 girls and that concerns me as well.

Unfortunately we don't have the funds to make a trip there to do much investigating. The transfer application is due to the kc plant closing and dh being without a job.

TIA for any info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Anyone?

Old 01-14-2009, 09:41 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Taxes will not vary too much between most areas around Tampa.
On a $150K home you will get the $50K homestead exemption so taxes would be based on approx. $100K, they are not based on the sale price but the assesment may be close to it.
Taxes on an assessed value of $100K would be in the $1600-$2000 range.
Homeowners Ins varies greatly on the age of the home and other factors.
I have a 2005 home and $335K in coverage is under $800 without sinkhole ins, with sinkhole it would be around $1400.
I am 4 miles from the water so it is a little higher than inland.
South Tampa will be closer to water so ins. will be higher.
I am not right in that area and the schools can vary greatly from school zone to school zone. You will just need to check each area out when you get here.
I have been very happy with the schools my children go to.

Just let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Thank you. How far from Tampa are you?

If your agent (or company) serves that area, would you mind sharing their number? I'd like to call and talk to someone that could let me know if the burb we were to choose would significantly affect the rate - that might narrow our search. I checked online with the companies that are big here and none of them write new policies in FL. I really don't know who to talk to.

What is a homestead exemption?

Thank you so much, it's scary to consider moving some place I've never been but in this economy you have to go where the jobs are. If my hubby stays with his company not only will he have a job, he'll get to keep his vacation time, his 401K and pension. Staying here and trying to find something will delay his retirement by about 11 years and cost us money in investment transfers, etc. He'll also be low seniority again someplace new and with all the layoffs going on, that's not a good place to be.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:20 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth0301 View Post
Thank you. How far from Tampa are you?

If your agent (or company) serves that area, would you mind sharing their number? I'd like to call and talk to someone that could let me know if the burb we were to choose would significantly affect the rate - that might narrow our search. I checked online with the companies that are big here and none of them write new policies in FL. I really don't know who to talk to.

What is a homestead exemption?

Thank you so much, it's scary to consider moving some place I've never been but in this economy you have to go where the jobs are. If my hubby stays with his company not only will he have a job, he'll get to keep his vacation time, his 401K and pension. Staying here and trying to find something will delay his retirement by about 11 years and cost us money in investment transfers, etc. He'll also be low seniority again someplace new and with all the layoffs going on, that's not a good place to be.
I am about 45 minutes north of the airport here.
I will pm you a number for an insurance agent in the area.
He has many comanies writing policies.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:05 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I suggest you find out where your DH job is located in Tampa and then folks can recommend places for you to look for a house. You also want to consider commute time as it can take an hour to go 12-15 miles depending on what roads you travel during rush hour.

If you have kids in school you can check out greatschools.net for good schools.

HOI is cheaper now and you have a better selection of insurers although few will be a name you recognize.

I have moved several times to cities where I had never been before including Tampa for my husband's job. My advise is this.. Look for the good in a place because the bad shows up soon enough. If you only focus on the bad you will be unhappy and that is not good for you or your family. I liked every place including a living in central america where the american TV didn't come on until 4 pm That took some getting use to but there were lots of good things about living there too.

We are here to help you.. so give us more info..

Old 01-15-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
My advise is this.. Look for the good in a place because the bad shows up soon enough. If you only focus on the bad you will be unhappy and that is not good for you or your family.
Thank you, I needed to hear that. I KNOW it's so true but in all the stress of this I'd kind of let it go by the way side.

We have very logical, well thought out strong reasons for wanting this transfer, none of which have anything to do with Florida or wanting to move to that area. I have to keep in mind the big picture, why a transfer would be so good for our family and what it means long term, not just the hassle of moving so far and what we're giving up.

His plant is in the northern half and a very kind person here has been in private contact with me to offer specific name/phone number info regarding insurance and real estate.

Once I find out for sure we're coming I will certainly come back and ask for advice on certain services that we'll need right away - a painter, tile setter, carpenter, physician, etc.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:29 PM

35 posts, read 268,538 times
HI Beth, I will be moving to Tampa also in about two weeks. I lived in the New Longview area of LS. I dont know much about tampa yet but I wish you luck from a fellow kansas citian.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
We have some really good realtors here, who provide excellent information about different areas to folks wanting to move here.

N. Tampa has a lot of good areas to chose from as far as housing. If you need some suggestions come back and ask away

Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieJean View Post
HI Beth, I will be moving to Tampa also in about two weeks. I lived in the New Longview area of LS. I dont know much about tampa yet but I wish you luck from a fellow kansas citian.
Wow, that's cool. I'm in Raintree, just south of town. I will p.m. you later with my email address if you don't mind. I'd love to visit with you next month and see how things are going!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay