Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 03:49 PM

27 posts, read 134,103 times

Advertisements

I know this thread will have all the questions that everyone always asks, but I do need to know.....Is it a nice place to live? Good schools? Are there things for kids to do there? How is the crime rate? Any info. would be great. I am thinking of moving there next year. Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 05:58 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
I just got back from soccer practice with my daughter, my son also played Dixie League baseball, there are bowling alleys that the kids go to, gymnastics, football etc.
There is always something for the kids to do but you will need to do some driving.

If you live within one of the newer subdivisions many of them also have pools, tennis, volleyball, basketball within the community so that is something the kids could ride bikes to.

There are certain areas that are not the best but overall there is not alot of crime here.

I have been very happy with the schools my children go to here but there are some schools in the county that I would not want then to go to. You just need to watch what schools you would be zoned for where ever you move.

Employment is a little sparse here and many people end up driving to Tampa for work.

Overall I think it is a very nice place to raise a family. A little too spread out for some but that is what I like.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:01 PM

27 posts, read 134,103 times
Thanks for replying to me. It sounds like one of the new subdivisions would be good for me. I'm a single mom with 4 children so it would be a great way for the kids to get to know the other children in the neighborhood if there is a community basketball court, tennis court, etc.

As for employment, I'm looking into working from home, so I wouldn't need to worry about any commute or a babysitter.

Are the taxes reasonable there? Are they more expensive for one of the new developments?

It sounds like Spring Hill is a large town if my children attend certain schools depending on what section I live in. I guess a realtor could help me with that.

Thanks again for the info. Any towns that you can recommend that have "great" schools (if there is such a thing - I know every school has issues). That is my main concern.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:32 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times
With the newer communities you will have CDD fees with some of them. This can add $1000-$1500 a year to your taxes.

Taxes will run between $15-$18 per $1000 of assessed value less homestead exemption.

A $200,000 home may be assessed for $200K (sometimes less, sometimes more) less $50K homestead exemption so you are taxed on $150K X .015-.018 = $2250 to $2700 plus CDD fee if the community has one.

Spring Hill is not that large, the whole county is only around 180,000 population with about 75,000 of them in Spring Hill but some areas are a little spread out so the need for a few more schools.

Most of the newer subdivisions are near newer schools and they rate pretty good.

You may have a little better schools down in Wesley Chapel and Land O Lakes and the area is a little closer to Tampa.
Trinity also has very good schools.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 41,047 times
I to am looking to re-locate from N.J. South.Been reading alot of positive/negatives issues.Best thing to do is alot of research and get first hand insights from people within the area.For me i need to look for an company that can employ me with commercial/financial printing,commute within the hour or less,with homes in the low 300's.Any info is appreciated,ty

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 AM

137 posts, read 545,734 times
Spring Hill is nice but different than up north. It has a Southern Feel to it. I moved here fr NY 3.5 years ago. It takes a bit of getting use to and I suggest visiting the area a few times before make any decision. I also suggest renting in the area for at least 1 year before buying a home to make sure that Spring Hill is the right fit for you. Homes are well under 300K. You can find a nice beautifult brand new home for 180, if you are interested in foreclosures they are even less. Jobs are hard to come by so that is something you may have to look into when visiting the area. There are a ton of people here fr NY/NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay