Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 08:25 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
"Well, if the "southerners" would ever go up north an experience REAL service...... they might come back here and expect a little more than the "laid back/no hurry beach bum attitude" that we are so proud of."

That's just it. Native Floridians arent used to the hurry up, go go go lifestyle, and many dont want it. So coming down here and complaining how it aint like up there is rude. FL has already changed and become just like NYC/NJ, so what are the folks living down here complaining for? We are now aggressive, hurry up, always on the go, all about ourselves now (for the most part) and now you have the hot weather you've been craving, so why complain? The native Floridians are up in NC and TN now, enjoying what used to be enjoyable about FL.

? trust me the aggressive hurry up I'll flip you off, ride your bumper if you aren't doing 75, is alive and well in NC and SC both. I see it daily as I live in one state and travel to the other for my job.

Point is, it's everywhere, especially by a big city. NO part of the country can claim exclusive rights to aggressive or non-aggressive, fast paced or slow paced.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:28 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
? trust me the aggressive hurry up I'll flip you off, ride your bumper if you aren't doing 75, is alive and well in NC and SC both. I see it daily as I live in one state and travel to the other for my job.

Point is, it's everywhere, especially by a big city. NO part of the country can claim exclusive rights to aggressive or non-aggressive, fast paced or slow paced.
Exactly.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Because the North won and doesn't have an inferiority complex.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
NO, but there isn't many people up there compared to Pinellas and Hillsborough.

So giving your opinion on groups of people in the Tampa Bay area when you live in one of the most RURAL areas doesn't really make sense.

Not only that...... but this thread is about how many people in the south "go out of their way" to let people know that they are southern and "proud"- and how you don't see that up north.

If there is a place in the Tampa Bay area that can prove my point........ Hernando County DEFINATLY QUALIFIES. In addition to the other areas I mentioned.
Being I lived in Pinellas County for 10 years in addition to living in Pasco and Hernando County my opinion would be just as, if not more, relevant than yours even though you try and discount it.

Your claim that "ALL OF HERNANDO COUNTY" is "very "deep south"" shows that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

As far as what this thread is about. You seem to be showing that people from up north think they know everything when in fact they really don't.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:41 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I live in Hernando, I have also lived in Pasco and Pinellas. While we may have a good amount of southerners here there are also a very large presence of transplants.

You can go to some subdivisions that are almost all northerners here.

Besides that fact the southerners are also some of the nicest people I have met. Of course you may bump into some backwoods Bubba that isn't nice but you can get that with rude northerners also.

You probably need to get out more.
I grew up in Pasco and didn't realize the lack of diversity and education in the area until I moved away. After living in two college towns and Raleigh when I go back to NPR it's very obvious the lack of diversity. I counted five rebel flags in a Wal-Mart parking lot over Christmas and this was in Trinity! I can't recall the last time I saw one in Raleigh.

There is a big difference when compare how southern/redneck Pinellas is to Pasco/Hernando.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
I asked a freaking question........

Why is it that many people in the "south" go out of their way to let everyone know that they are "proud" of it..........

When nobody is questioning them in the first place.

Do you have an opinion on the QUESTION?

If not...........
Why do people have church bumper stickers, my child is... bumper stickers, NY Yankee bumpers stickers, Tampa Bay Rays bumpers stickers, I Love NY bumper stickers, Disneyland bumper stickers?

It is something they are proud of or want to show support to.

Does people being proud of their southern heritage bother you?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
I grew up in Pasco and didn't realize the lack of diversity and education in the area until I moved away. After living in two college towns and Raleigh when I go back to NPR it's very obvious the lack of diversity. I counted five rebel flags in a Wal-Mart parking lot over Christmas and this was in Trinity! I can't recall the last time I saw one in Raleigh.
College towns will always be more diverse just due to the influx of new students every year.

I never claimed that the counties were as diverse as other areas but the OP's claim that Hernando and Pasco are completely deep south is ridiculous.

5 rebel flags in a parking lot that has 200-300 cars is not a large percentage if you ask me.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:

Does people being proud of their southern heritage bother you?
Nope.........

Just wondering why you don't see "northern by the grace of god" and

"mid western pride" bumper/window stickers.

It's just the south.......

And I'm just wondering.......

Because I made an observation during my travels.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:

I never claimed that the counties were as diverse as other areas but the OP's claim that Hernando and Pasco are completely deep south is ridiculous.

5 rebel flags in a parking lot that has 200-300 cars is not a large percentage if you ask me.

Ok- maybe not COMPLETELY "deep south"- but certainly enough to use as an example.

If I see 5 rebel flags in 1 place.......... thta's a lot of rebel flags.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 AM

Here's an idea...........

Why don't you all that think what I'm saying isn't true, take a survey of people in the greater Tampa Bay area-

Just ask them this........

Of all the counties in the Tampa bay area, which ones could be considered "deep south" or "rural"

I'm POSITIVE that Hernando, Polk, Pasco, and Citrus would be the most popular answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay