Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 03:00 PM

44 posts, read 145,637 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is looking to move to Florida this year. We are strongly considering either Dunedin or Sarasota. We are looking for a little more liberal/artsy community. We have a 5-year-old daughter so great schools are a must. My husband is in Sports TV production so driving into Tampa isn't a concern considering that he works off hours, and I am a Massage Therapist and am not worried about driving either considering there seems to be many Spas, everywhere.

I wanted to know any pros or cons to either Dunedin or Sarasota. Which has the better schools, neighborhoods, etc? I wanted to know any specific areas to avoid living in.

We like to be active outside a lot, hiking and just having a good time in the sunshine. Are these towns good for easy access to outdoor fun? We will be coming down this February to really check out the areas and schools so any thoughts would be great! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 02:07 PM

428 posts, read 1,237,424 times
I haven't lived in either place but I've visited both. If commutes aren't a concern I'd probably pick Sarasota.

The biggest negative to Sarasota (for me anyway) is that you'll be further away from Tampa and the things that a major city provides. However, Sarasota is still a good sized town and will probably have everything you'd need anyway.

It is hard to quantify why I like Sarasota more; it is just a totally subjective opinion after seeing both areas. Both areas have nice beaches but I definitely like Sarasota's Lido Key and Siesta Key better.

The positives for Dunnedin in my book are a charming downtown and proximity to the Pinellas Trail.

However, have you considered Safety Harbor? My wife and I (and 1 yr old) have considered both areas you mentioned as well, but decided on Safety Harbor as a primary place to focus. Great schools and neighborhoods... just a little pricey. But, you get what you pay for. Who wants to move their family to a bargain neighborhood full of foreclosures and questionable renters. I'm speaking in general here, not about any particular area- I think every town has some previously borderline neighborhoods that are now on the decline due to foreclosures and what not.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM

44 posts, read 145,637 times
Thanks for the help. We will defintely look into Safety Harbor also. Sounds like a nice place to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay