Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:13 PM

35 posts, read 180,169 times

Advertisements

Hey all - we've lived in Atlanta (Roswell, specifically) for 12 years. But we've wanted to move to Florida almost as long. We like what we've seen and heard about the Tampa area. But the question is, where should we move in the Tampa area?

I'll mention that my wife and I are 35 with two new kids. I'm self employed and work from a laptop.

We've visited Tampa twice, and put close to 300 miles on the car just driving around the general Tampa Bay area. We like a little about everything, but couldn't seem to hone in on an area that we liked a lot.

In Atlanta, we know specifically areas considered desirable to live, and those that aren't. Sure, there are sweet new (and affordable) homes going up in certain areas of Atlanta - but they are in towns and areas outside of Atlanta known to be a little sketchy. By sketchy, I mean that they lack proximity to shopping, lack new stuff, highways, dining, and border poorer towns with high crime rates. Meanwhile, Roswell (where we live), is surrounded mostly by booming business. We can quickly get to any highway. We have two Home Depots, three WalMarts, malls, and wall-to-wall restarants and stores within 5 miles of our home. You get the idea. On top of this, there are tons of quality homes under $300,000. The Roswell/Alpharetta area and the stretch they are in is probably one of the most popular in the Atlanta area for folks like us. As such, by no coincidence, most of our friends and people like us live in this region as well.

If we moved to Atlanta blindly today, we might have been lured to live in some other area. That would be weak. We'd be missing so much without even knowing it. So we want to get a picture of Tampa Bay area in general to see if we can locate such an area.

So we don't recall seeing a "hot" area like this in Tampa. We could have been in it and didn't know it. We've found plenty of places online that look nice - but who the heck knows what surrounds them.

Sure - we'd love a place that was easy drive to the beach, easy drive to the airport, easy drive to the city, but in a newer subdivision packed with families like ours in a newer home for under $300,000. Whew!

But we could forgo the proximity to the beach/airport/city if the subdivision and town we choose had lots to do and lots of fun people and families.

SOOOO - might anyone suggest a town (and even a subdivision) that might work for us? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 06:09 AM

104 posts, read 366,553 times
I used to live in Roswell and Alpharetta for 5 years and enjoyed it but moved back to Tampa because I really LOVE IT. Like Atlanta, you have lots of choices.

A few areas that I would consider looking into:
1) If you like the feel of the private community with newer homes you will probably like the northern suburbs here... Lutz and New Tampa in particular are a good starting point.
2) Another area that is on the edge of Tampa but has some great new homes is the Fish Hawk ranch community out in the Riverview area.
3) If you are interested in getting closer to the beach and want the master planned community, Countryside area in Clearwater (Pinellas County
4) If you are looking to be close to town and want a nice community, I would recommend Westchase.
5) Finally, I always recommend South Tampa which is more similar to the Virginia Highlands area,,,price might be an issue here

Good luck with these!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:19 PM

10 posts, read 124,826 times
denemante: For all of the reasons you have described, I moved to New Tampa years ago. I live on Arbor Greene. It seems to fit everything you are looking for. I don't know Roswell Ga, but from what your post says, Roswell Ga = New Tampa, simply put. Check out Arbor Greene, and Hunters Green for very nice homes under $300,000. Both are safe and great neighborhoods, with schools, shopping, and every restaurant you could imagine within 10-15 mins. 30-45 mins to town, 1 hour to Clearwater, 1 hour to Disney. Good access to major highways (you definitely won't be alone on the road)..Enjoy your search !!

Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM

10 posts, read 30,212 times
Default Yes I can

We just moved to Riverview Florida. It is a brand new community and the neighborhood is beginning to be developed so the prices are great. Located in 301 A and Big Bend. The four corners which was just built in 08 has about five banks, two large supermarkets, New York pizza, NY chinese food, Pannera, Starbucks, gas stations at great prices, Bealls (store in the fashion of Macys) is just being finished. The road is beng widen to four lanes. Our community is just 50 houses which are still being built but selling like crazy. Walmart is just down the road. They are offering righ now no closing fees, an insurance that if you lose your job within two years they will pay mortgage, taxes and insurance for 6 months and many many more perks. There is so much construction going on it is hard to believe there is anything wrong with the economy.
Moderator cut: realtor name

Last edited by Keeper; 01-23-2009 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: sorry realtor recommendations are not allowed.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:39 AM

158 posts, read 503,965 times
There are a lot of great liveable subdivisions and neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay area but as you've probably figured out if you've only stayed along the typical tourist routes on your visits here, you've probably never seen them. Most of the tourist spots are located in the older(and in the case of Busch Gardens...decaying) areas.

From what you've posted, it sounds like you're looking for a newer somewhat-suburban young family oriented neighborhood with good amenities and convenient proximity to the beaches, airport and downtown Tampa and/or St.Pete and you'd probably want good schools as well. Finding something under or around $300,000 especially in this economic climate should be a problem here either.

The first area I'd recommend is the area where my gf and I(also in our 30's) live in North Pinellas County refered to as the "East Lake Area". It's an area located east of Lake Tarpon all along East Lake Rd. from Curlew Rd. all the way to Keystone Rd. emcompassing the zipcodes of Oldsmar, Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs. There are a lot of subdivisions and gated golf communities that were built post-1995. Home prices range from the mid-$200,000's to multi-$1,000,000's. The area is characterized by mostly college educated young families and some retirees. Lots of good schools in the area and lots of parks, athletic fields, 2 ice skating rinks(one in a shopping mall), a large lake, a nature preserve and the closest beaches are only about a 10 min. drive away(including Caladesi Island rated America's #1 beach, accessible by a short ferry from Honeymoon Island). Clearwater Beach is about 25-30 mins. away, Tampa International Airport 20mins., downtown Tampa ~30 mins(depending on traffic, but nothing like ATL)., downtown St.Pete ~40mins. Also very close to great little "towns" like Dunedin, Safety Harbor and the Greek fishing village of Tarpon Springs. Lots of shopping and restaurants close by on Tampa Road and also US-19. I would describe it as a typical middle to upper-middle class suburban area.

Other similar areas close by to checkout are the Countryside area of Clearwater(as mentioned previously) just to the south of East Lake. Great neighborhood of homes built in the late 1970's-early 1990's. And also the Trinity area to the north of East Lake in Southern Pasco County. These are newer subdivisions with lots of young families.

The Westchase area nearby is also a very nice neighborhood. Nice little "town square" and one of the communities there was built by the same developer who built Disney's Celebration Town in Kissimmee(very similar look too). Little futher from the beaches but little closer to downtown and airport. Close to Citrus Park Mall, one of the nicest malls in the Bay area.

There are some very nice areas to consider on the northern outskirts in Wesley Chapel, Lutz and North Tampa and east/south east of downtown Tampa in Brandon, Lithia Springs and Riverview. These areas are much futher out from the beaches but definitely worth checking out.

And again, traffic is NOTHING like Atlanta's.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:20 AM

156 posts, read 493,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
There are a lot of great liveable subdivisions and neighborhoods in the Tampa Bay area but as you've probably figured out if you've only stayed along the typical tourist routes on your visits here, you've probably never seen them. Most of the tourist spots are located in the older(and in the case of Busch Gardens...decaying) areas.

From what you've posted, it sounds like you're looking for a newer somewhat-suburban young family oriented neighborhood with good amenities and convenient proximity to the beaches, airport and downtown Tampa and/or St.Pete and you'd probably want good schools as well. Finding something under or around $300,000 especially in this economic climate should be a problem here either.

The first area I'd recommend is the area where my gf and I(also in our 30's) live in North Pinellas County refered to as the "East Lake Area". It's an area located east of Lake Tarpon all along East Lake Rd. from Curlew Rd. all the way to Keystone Rd. emcompassing the zipcodes of Oldsmar, Palm Harbor and Tarpon Springs. There are a lot of subdivisions and gated golf communities that were built post-1995. Home prices range from the mid-$200,000's to multi-$1,000,000's. The area is characterized by mostly college educated young families and some retirees. Lots of good schools in the area and lots of parks, athletic fields, 2 ice skating rinks(one in a shopping mall), a large lake, a nature preserve and the closest beaches are only about a 10 min. drive away(including Caladesi Island rated America's #1 beach, accessible by a short ferry from Honeymoon Island). Clearwater Beach is about 25-30 mins. away, Tampa International Airport 20mins., downtown Tampa ~30 mins(depending on traffic, but nothing like ATL)., downtown St.Pete ~40mins. Also very close to great little "towns" like Dunedin, Safety Harbor and the Greek fishing village of Tarpon Springs. Lots of shopping and restaurants close by on Tampa Road and also US-19. I would describe it as a typical middle to upper-middle class suburban area.

Other similar areas close by to checkout are the Countryside area of Clearwater(as mentioned previously) just to the south of East Lake. Great neighborhood of homes built in the late 1970's-early 1990's. And also the Trinity area to the north of East Lake in Southern Pasco County. These are newer subdivisions with lots of young families.

The Westchase area nearby is also a very nice neighborhood. Nice little "town square" and one of the communities there was built by the same developer who built Disney's Celebration Town in Kissimmee(very similar look too). Little futher from the beaches but little closer to downtown and airport. Close to Citrus Park Mall, one of the nicest malls in the Bay area.

There are some very nice areas to consider on the northern outskirts in Wesley Chapel, Lutz and North Tampa and east/south east of downtown Tampa in Brandon, Lithia Springs and Riverview. These areas are much futher out from the beaches but definitely worth checking out.

And again, traffic is NOTHING like Atlanta's.
I couldn't agree more. You hit all my favorite areas. Good post.

Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,692,145 times
Seven oaks may be the fit-it is in New Tampa-Wesley Chapel area. It is pasco-lower taxes, malls
and shops etc. maybe 60 mins to the beach, but that is great, for insurance! The Mall is Wiregrass which is the Best as of Today! and more coming!
The Mall is a hop and skip from 7 oaks! Also they are building a medical place, and to service your car, they did come to wesley chapel! The bad is
shop til you drop! Schools also rate high!

Last edited by maggiekate; 01-25-2009 at 09:20 PM..

Old 02-12-2009, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 22,664 times
Hi Tampa Joe!
I finally got up the nerve to post. We are moving from Bel Air, MD (a half hour north of Baltimore) to the Tampa area in about a year when my husband finishes nursing school. I will go back to teaching, so we probably won't have to drive downtown. We love the New Tampa area since we visited in August. We have three little girls and love the suburbs! I am concerned though about the crime rate. Do you feel safe in Arbor Green? We looked at homes there and loved the development. We are considering Hunter's Green, Grand Hampton, Arbor Green, Tampa Palms, Cory Lake Isles (but NOT Heritage Isles,)... also Cheval, Wilderness Lake Preserve, Connerton or Seven Oaks. We want every possilbe amenity (that is why we are moving to Florida!) but I saw some statistics that said the crime rate is 2.5 times the national average for 33647. I live north of BALTIMORE and feel safe where we live. But our crime rate based on zip code looked so much lower. Do you feel safe? Is there a big difference between Pasco county and Hillsbourough? I just could not forgive myself if we made a bad decision for our daughters and it is so difficult to get detailed information about the areas.
Thinking about Florida everyday..... and really appreciating your help!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,191,933 times
You might want to check the zip code here, it breaks down the crime plus national average
Relocation Essentials

Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 AM

5 posts, read 22,664 times
We are very interested in relocating to New Tampa/Wesley Chapel area. However, the news makes it seem as if the whole place is falling apart! Are you there right now, with the sunshine, where stores are still open, and schools are still good and some people still have jobs? Tell me anything at all that you can about the area! We have to wait another year and a half to move (when my husband finishes nursing school) and I dont want it all to fall apart down there because of the economy before we even get there!! Does the area feel safe to you? We are visiting again in August. Cant wait to get there! Thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay