Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:22 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furkidmom View Post
Love this thread! I was going to ask the same thing and people on this subject have been so informative! Now, how about termites???
Termites are common. Subterranean termites are very destructive. With proper treatment and inspections keep them at bay. There are rules. Keep mulch away from the exterior walls, get rid of rotting leaves, keep the roof clean of debris, look for mud tunnels on walls and some other common sense tips keep them from becoming a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 06:47 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan28 View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to the Tampa area from Ohio and I am a bit concerned about the snake and alligator population. I have 3 dogs and a small child and I dont want to have to always be afraid they will be bitten or worse by a snake in the yard. Is it common for dogs and or unsuspecting children to be bitten or killed by snakes around there (water moccasins, rattlesnakes). Also how safe is it really to be near or in bodies of water that may have alligators in them. Being up here you always hear when somebody is attacked by a gator. Sorry if this sounds silly, but living up here, we do not have to deal with things like that and I want to be sure it is not a huge problem. Thanks!
1. Don't swim in ponds
2. Don't leave children or pets unattended
3. Have a fence
4. Know that pretty much every pond has an alligator in it

BTW We don't see alligators on daily basis either. I haven't seen one in two years. The only alligators I've seen during this period were in Animal Kingdom at Disney! LOL

Generally, the closer you are to civilization/human congestion, the less wild life you'll see.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,326 times
Definitely don't get used to having dogs around the water in Florida. Our neighbors dog was eaten last year in our neighborhood lake by a small gator, it happened very quickly. They are attracted to dogs. Just use common sense with people, but they mainly leave you alone and you rarely see them unless you go to the everglades or seeking them out.

Since we have a lake by our neighborhood and fields, I unfortunately do see snakes around here, but almost all small. Hate the things personally, they give me the creeps, but haven't had any bad experiences except one close call when I was walking by one that was hidden in the grass, and didn't notice him until I saw him in his 'ready to strike' position. He was ready but I didn't mess with him and was thankfully not that close, it was more of a caution stance for him apparently.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 AM

176 posts, read 217,149 times
Remember, You are far more likely to be killed or injured from an neighbors dog than you are from a snake or gator. If you are into better safe than sorry when it comes to animal dangers, don't live near any dogs.

There were more fatal dog attacks in 2014 than there were fatal alligator attacks in the last 40 years. (Nation wide)
In Florida there were 5 Fatal dog attacks in 2014 vs zero for gators. If you look at longer time frames, it still holds true. You are far more likely to get killed by a dog in Florida than you are from Alligators and snakebites combined.

Last edited by stumble; 04-14-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 AM

229 posts, read 244,621 times
I wish gators and snakes were more active when it came to snowbirds!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:48 AM

85 posts, read 101,276 times
Well I wouldn't be to concerned about that. The rattlesnakes are usually concentrated around wooded areas, people activity kind of scares them off the residential properties. Alligators are few and far also. You need to just keep and eye on were you are at. You have more in central and eastern Florida it seems in the news. This is what you need to really watch out for the Giant Bufo Toad, it is a very venomous and dogs especially will try to play with them. So do your research on them. I haven't seen one yet but they are around.

Old 04-14-2015, 11:49 AM

343 posts, read 615,156 times
is there an area in tampa that doesnt have snakes, coyotes and alligators? maybe in south tampa /davis island where the downtown area is?

i cant even begin to imagine how to deal with those problems or coming home and seeing a snake in my backyard.

Old 04-14-2015, 02:58 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,695,348 times
The truth is Snake and Gators are in all areas, you just can not see them most of the time. It is wise to learn the habits of poisonous snakes and the gators and walk wisely.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:31 PM

290 posts, read 339,484 times
They're more afraid of you than you are of them... As a rule of thumb, assume every fresh body of water to have alligators in it. The odds are you won't see them in residential lakes, but just play it safe and assume they're they. Alligators aren't something to be afraid of, you've just got to be smart and keep a safe distance. Snakes aren't an issue, I've never seen a poisonous one. Really, reptiles aren't something you've got to worry about.

Go a little further south and all sorts of things live there. South Florida has got crocodiles, burmese python, nile monitors, anaconda, etc etc. Even there they aren't too big of deal, but I'm sure residents aren't too happy when 12ft long snakes slither out of the everglades into their backyards.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:58 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,903,640 times
Black snakes are very common; they are GOOD in that they eat vermin and won't bother people. They are part of FL's eco-system, accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay