Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2011, 07:56 PM

14 posts, read 36,080 times

Advertisements

Family of 5, likes walking places...your suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM

272 posts, read 607,047 times
I love Davis Islands myself. It's a cool little community and has such a laid back feel to it. Hyde Park would probably be closer to and have more restaurants etc, although DI is just a quick ride over that bridge and voila. Some would probably argue that Hyde Park is better suited for those who like to "walk places." Both have easy access to Bayshore.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:40 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
If you like to walk places definitely hyde park. Davis island has a few small shops but thats it. Hyde park has much more to do

Old 09-13-2011, 11:47 AM

15,844 posts, read 14,479,382 times
My take was Davis Island = older population, Hyde Park/SoHo = younger (and partying)

Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks all for your thoughts, moving after being in one place for 19 years is tough!

Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,927 times
Davis is older people generally but there is NOTHING to do on the island. Unless your a pilot or have a boat (theres an airport and marina on the island) then there isnt much there but houses.

I personally think hyde park is cool but its not for me to live there. Its just like any area im sure, once you go to the restraunts so many times, your just ready for a change.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:10 PM

26 posts, read 65,031 times
With kids I would say Davis Islands. The sidewalks are huge, the streets are wide and fairly well lit at night. There is a little league ball field and playground over by the Marina. They just finished a great walking/bike path around the airfield with a Park area for kids to run around. There is also a dog beach and separate park area both fenced in, if you have dogs. There are more than half a dozen restaurants, some new (Baileys is awesome) some old (220 East), a couple bars, a gas station, and a small convienence store and pharmacy. Davis Islands is a quiet and relaxed area right downtown. I'm not sure if some of the posters in this thread have been here recently.

I love Hyde park but the sidewalks are narrow and really crappy and nonexistant in some areas, also the streets are very dark at night due to most of the trees. There are many more bars and restaurants in Hyde Park but lots more traffic as well. Most everything is off of Howard, Armenia, Platt and Swann. The only real livable areas would be South on Howard or on Swann towards Hyde Park Village to stay within walking distance.

Hyde Park village is great for a movie and dinner, such an underrated area. Cinebistro is awesome! No kids permitted though.

On Howard from Platt to Swann is usually very busy with college kids and the bar scene, which can get pretty loud. I had friends that lived in that specific area and it can get pretty lively at times. Futher south on Howard it tones down a bit and you'll see a lot less of the college crowd. Hyde park has a Greenwise and a Sweetbay there is also a Publix near the Davis Island bridges. These stores are all within about 2-4 miles of each other. I believe there is small park next to the Sweetbay.

I live on Harbour Island and I ride my bicycle everywhere. I highly recommend it. Coming off Davis Island you have a great starting point, to the left is Bayshore and Hyde Park, to the right is Downtown, Channelside, and Harbour Island.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:50 PM

Default thanks!

Wow, griff609, what valuable info! Thanks for the thoughts! It seems like the neighborhood we're in now, which we love. Now, to find a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay