U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2009, 03:18 AM

32 posts, read 96,840 times

Advertisements

I will be getting a Master's degree either Dec. '09 or May '10 in Creative Writing and will be moving out of Michigan after that. I am sick of the weather and want to move somewhere warmer. I was thinking of moving to Portland or Seattle before (and it is still in my mind as the weather is mild and they have forests and mountains, which I love), but now I am thinking of moving to Florida or California.

I have been to Florida a couple times and liked the beaches and warm weather. The flatness of the state was a bit depressing though, and I do worry about that aspect. I really love being around trees, hills, and hiking trails. I just have to get out of this cold weather.

I want to go to a place where I can get outdoor exercise year round. Hopefully I would be able to get into a safe neighborhood that I can walk to some local shops, etc.

I thought Tampa looked like just about the right sized city for me, but I don't know much about it.

For outdoor activities, I enjoy swimming, going to the beach, hiking, biking, and walking.

For city life stuff, I like to go to clubs, go to the movies, go to the bookstore, and go windowshopping (especially at malls).

I am a straight white male. I am 25yo, and I am a liberal atheist. I don't speak Spanish.

So is Tampa for me? Or is there another Florida city that would be a good match?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 06:37 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,632,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specficer View Post
I will be getting a Master's degree either Dec. '09 or May '10 in Creative Writing and will be moving out of Michigan after that. I am sick of the weather and want to move somewhere warmer. I was thinking of moving to Portland or Seattle before (and it is still in my mind as the weather is mild and they have forests and mountains, which I love), but now I am thinking of moving to Florida or California.

I have been to Florida a couple times and liked the beaches and warm weather. The flatness of the state was a bit depressing though, and I do worry about that aspect. I really love being around trees, hills, and hiking trails. I just have to get out of this cold weather.

I want to go to a place where I can get outdoor exercise year round. Hopefully I would be able to get into a safe neighborhood that I can walk to some local shops, etc.

I thought Tampa looked like just about the right sized city for me, but I don't know much about it.

For outdoor activities, I enjoy swimming, going to the beach, hiking, biking, and walking.

For city life stuff, I like to go to clubs, go to the movies, go to the bookstore, and go windowshopping (especially at malls).

I am a straight white male. I am 25yo, and I am a liberal atheist. I don't speak Spanish.

So is Tampa for me? Or is there another Florida city that would be a good match?
Sounds like Tampa could be for you, as it is a small city that encompasses everything you desire in your post. As far as missing mountains or hills, you will not find any of that here, but it does get hilly about an hour north of here, there are numerous wildlife preserves for your woods, hiking, off road biking(as a matter of fact, im going kayaking down the Hillsborough River today-very scenic, lots of wildlife)... when i want to get a taste of the northeast a bit, i head over to Alafaya State Park with my bike(about 45 min east of Tampa)...HUGE hills, lots of hiking and biking trails, you would never thinnk it was Florida..used to be an old phos[pahte mine way back when, now its all over grown thick woods and brush, river..very interesting place....

Some people will say its too hot late June through September to excersize, but im out there everyday...and there are recreational activities everywhere around the city

As far as movies, clubs, shopping, you wont be dissapointed as long as you are not expecting a NYC, Chicago, LA type city...but any type of store that is out there is in the Bay area..

Here is my take on Tampa:
Tampa is a Great City..for me!

Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,889 times
Hi people!!

I am frm england and im thinking about moving the the US i want to live in florida i think???.....
i heard it is really nice but just not to sure where to go some family told me kissammee but i just dont know?...,

I want to live in a area where i can work im a beauty therapist and my partner is an electrician we want somwhere so start a family that is safe lively not to boring as we are a young couple.

i just want a few ideas and facts maybe from younger people in mid 20s

Old 03-04-2009, 03:15 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,148,382 times
I am in my mid 20's and I am not sure what you mean by a beauty therapist...??

Personally-as a younger, single, and childless 20 some-odd year old I would say Orlando is better. Since I am a 26 yr. old, ebgaged with 2 kids, I don't mind this area. I would still move to Orlando if I had the chance because of all the tourist attractions and outlet malls and so forth. This is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaw View Post
Hi people!!

I am frm england and im thinking about moving the the US i want to live in florida i think???.....
i heard it is really nice but just not to sure where to go some family told me kissammee but i just dont know?...,

I want to live in a area where i can work im a beauty therapist and my partner is an electrician we want somwhere so start a family that is safe lively not to boring as we are a young couple.

i just want a few ideas and facts maybe from younger people in mid 20s

Old 03-04-2009, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 8,953 times
so... funny thing.. i'm moving to florida from portland in june. i've never been to florida before... but from the sounds of you, it seems that you would probably dig portland. there's definitely a lot of outdoors stuff close in (good hiking, skiing/snowboarding, rivers, lakes, etc..).. and its a super liberal city.. i live in SE portland (the 20-somethings place to be!) and its a artsy, earthfriendly, health-contious, young and hip area (yeah.. that sounded lame.. but.. you get the gist...
if you can stand rain rain and more rain... portland just might be the place for you, my friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or