Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 7,270 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

Anyhow I guess I will introduce myself and ask my question. I am going to be stationed at MacDill AFB, and am looking into buying a home when I get down there. I am looking mostly for good schools for my kids, and I have to be honest I come from a small town so I am not use to anything the size of Tampa. Any and all information on what are the better areas, and what to stay away from would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Billy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times
Nice golf courses on MacDill. Recommend you use the search and you'll find a ton of threads about where most people live - I'm guessing Riverview, Brandon.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:52 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
What is your price range?

What about commute time?

There are a lot of different areas it is a matter of finding the one that fits you and your family the best

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 AM

I love these threads where the OP asks questions and doesn't return.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
lol-You're so funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I love these threads where the OP asks questions and doesn't return.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM

Sorry For Not Getting Back in a timely manner. I guess this could go back to the post that I was reading about manners in Tampa. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, and I don't have but 15 minutes every now and than to check online. And some of that I am checking in on my family and replying to emails.

I can commute up to and hour, and I am looking in the 100,000 dollar range or there abouts. Anyhow again thanks to all for giving useful information, and I again apologize for not responding to the demanding answers about a good golf course! I tend to be a little busy sorry!

Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,697,912 times
It's all good. A lot of military tend to move around the Brandon/Riverview/Valrico. I think because it's like 30 mins or so from base so they feel like they are getting away from work. I live in Brandon and have 2 kids. I like the area because it's not on top of Tampa (not that I don't like to live directly in a city, just not Tampa) and there is everything you need here-mall, resturants, gorcery stores, and so much more. My fiance's parents settled here after his 20 yr. retirement from the Navy. They bought a gorgeous house in Riverview. Now for $100,000-or around that price, you should look into short sales, forclosures, and pre-forclosures. It's time consuming but worth it in the long run. I have been looking to purchase myself and before we decided on townhouses we looked into homes. I found some nice homes only a few years old, in nice areas with good schools in the zones for around $100,000-$140,000. Some of them were already bank approved. There are plenty of realtors on here that could help you before you get here as well as after you arrive. TampaKaren is one of them and she's really informative.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stWGR View Post
Sorry For Not Getting Back in a timely manner. I guess this could go back to the post that I was reading about manners in Tampa. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, and I don't have but 15 minutes every now and than to check online. And some of that I am checking in on my family and replying to emails.

I can commute up to and hour, and I am looking in the 100,000 dollar range or there abouts. Anyhow again thanks to all for giving useful information, and I again apologize for not responding to the demanding answers about a good golf course! I tend to be a little busy sorry!

Things must have gotten tougher in Afghanistan since I was there last year during my year deployment - Air Force still doing 3-4 months per deployment?

$100,000 won't get you very much - maybe a 2-bed condo unless you pick up a foreclosure needing a lot of work. I'd recommend Riverview or Brandon where I understand we military have access to a shuttle bus to MacDill.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
Lots of military living just south of the town of Riverview. Try the Panther Trace, Summerfield, South Fork sub-divisions, etc. Most are located just east of I-75 and around the Big Bend Rd./Rt. 301 area.
"Thank you for your service"!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Well BucFan, It all depends on where your at, I have been here 13 months now and 2 more to go. Some of the places are not bad some are out in the middle of nowhere, with little civilian internet. This site is blocked on the military network. And just because I am now being assigned to an Air Force Base doesn't mean I am Air Force. I am Army and have been for the last 11 years. 7 Years at Ft Campbell, 4 Years at Drum, and 4 deployments in the last 7 years. So I am just saying that your 12 months might have been easier if you where sitting on Bagram Air Field or a base like that.

Now back to being on track bnepler I will check out those areas. And again thanks for the information.

NEW QUESTION! What are the best middle schools in and around the Tampa Bay Area?

Thanks Again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay