Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Love this quote!
Not too long ago one of "those" articles named Tampa as the Vainest city in the country.
Thoughts?
One thing I am DYING to get away from is the "Boca-hontus" attitude that seems to be epidemic in South Florida.
I get there will be people keeping plastic surgeons in business no matter where you go, but it can't be as bad in Tampa as it is down here?

what is "boca hontus"? LOL I was born and raised in Miami and have never heard that it made me laugh xD Im assuming it has something to do with boca raton and pocahontas?

as for the plastic surgery pandemic in south florida... I was born and raised in S.FL and back in the 90s and early 2000s it wasnt that bad you know? People were happy with what they looked like and plastic surgery was still considered risky and unnecessary... but it seems the american culture and the internet has made a lot of women and men insecure to the point where they feel they have to go under the knife to live up to some "ideal image" they have in their mind... but its bound to always be common in places like s.florida and s.california where hundreds of beautiful women walk around looking like models in bikinis and skimpy outfits in south beach and malibu it just comes with the territory... some women and men buckle under the pressure of image and go plastic surgery crazy like Heidi Montag

Having said that.... I know exactly which article youre talking about it was in mens health magazine I think...that said Tampa was the vainest city in america and it just made me laugh, Here is the way they did that "study": To determine the rankings, Men’s Health added up each city’s percentage of Botox users, folks who go for dye jobs, and people who will spend anything to look younger (Experian Marketing Services). Also tallied were sales of at-home hair dyes, teeth whiteners, and shapewear (SimplyMap), as well as per-capita rates of cosmetic procedures, cosmetic dentists, plastic surgeons, and tanning salons (American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, AMA, and SimplyMap)

Whats silly about the list is that Los Angeles wasnt even in the top 10 and on top of that its Mens Health magazine..not exactly a widely credited source of sturdy facts. The study has a huge hole which is that they didn't differentiate between tourists/visitors and people who actually live in Tampa. MOST of the people who get botox, visit salons, get procedures done in Tampa are people who are visiting from another state, they want to come and visit florida for a week or two, visit the beaches, bask in the sunshine and get a little work done and then go back to their friends in south carolina, texas, new york or wherever looking "naturally refreshed" if you know what I mean. So no, its not people who are living in Tampa that are vain, its the people visiting that are getting most of those procedures done.

So if you visit Tampa you will see a lot of dermatology/plastic surgery places driving around but rarely will you see a person who has clearly had work done strutting around the mall in a bikini top, leather miniskirt, chanel sunglasses, christian louboutin heels and a louis vuitton bag giving off huge waves of vanity its just not that kind of place, thats more Miami and South Beach.

As for most people in Tampa, they are not even half as vain as some of the people in S.Florida, LA, or Sanfran they could never come close. It's like two different worlds really; most people in Tampa are extremely down to earth, kind and NOT vain... if you ever visit Tampa or move to Tampa you will understand why its just so silly to call Tampa the vainest city in America, most people walk around in flipflops, shorts and tshirts -none of which are designer brands and a few years ago Tampa was actually named one of the worst dressed cities in america...how can a city be one of the worst dressed in the country and also the vainest? LOL dont believe anything mens health tells you

heres the link for anyone who wants a good laugh:

[url=http://www.menshealth.com/best-life/where-vanity-rules?cm_mmc=PR-_-Feature-_-Vanity%20Rules-_-July]Top Cities for Vanity | Men's Health[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 12:57 AM

4 posts, read 10,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
Love this quote!
Not too long ago one of "those" articles named Tampa as the Vainest city in the country.
Thoughts?
One thing I am DYING to get away from is the "Boca-hontus" attitude that seems to be epidemic in South Florida.
I get there will be people keeping plastic surgeons in business no matter where you go, but it can't be as bad in Tampa as it is down here?
The article youre talking about was completely bogus ... it was published in mens health and LA wasnt even in the top ten ...that should give you an idea on its credibility

Tampa is not even half as vain as places like south florida or LA...and it would never come close. most people in tampa wear shorts, flip flops and at shirt. Some guys just walk around with no shirt-hey its FL no one cares. People are extremely down to earth in tampa, most dont really care about wearing the latest fashions from vogue or spending thousands of dollars in plastic surgery procedures to look like barbie or megan fox. Theyre the farthest thing from vain... the list was made by counting how many people got botox, face lifts etc and how many people bought things like teeth whitening products and visited salons- most of the people doing that are people who VISIT tampa, not the ones who live in tampa. People from the north, midwest and northeast visit tampa all year round its really kind of annoying, and they are the ones getting all those procedures and getting "vain" things done so that after spending two or three weeks vacationing in FL they can go back to their friends looking "naturally refreshed"

So ...no tampa is not vain, compared to places like south beach and LA....tampa is the farthest thing from vain but if you want to get away from the bocahontas people down in soflo them seriously consider a move to tampa, its still FL so beautiful weather, nice beaches, friendly people but without the crime, strain and overly fast pace of Miami.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 AM

4 posts, read 10,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanbat View Post
I'm in the Tampa fanboy chorus. I like the heat and humidity, being wet does not bother me, I know I am not drying out and shriveling up.

I went to the Lowery Zoo $5 day with my family. Hot, humid, swampy smelling, and extremely crowded. I loved it. I found the people friendly and interesting. I struck up conversations with some nice people. Beautiful to watch families having fun together. The delight my granddaughters exhibited feeding the long-tongued giraffe made any discomfort well worth it; another great memory for grampa's treasury.

We went to Siesta Key beach last week. Depression Debbie had washed up a great deal of seaweed along the pristine beach and out in the water. The kids had a ball chasing the little fish that were hiding under the floaters. I almost caught a crab that was in the flotilla. Amazing how those tiny pincers could cause me to be overly cautious. A Deadly Catch man I am not.

Life is never going to be perfect down here, but there sure is a lot to enjoy if you look for it.
That is the sweetest thing I have read on here, with the economy being so bad and everyone struggling I think Tampa is still a very pleasant place to live in- and you hit the nail on the head, Tampa is great for families and its laid back and relaxed, people still enjoy the zoo and strolling along the beach, its the complete opposite of Miami and I love it

I think its as close to perfect as you can get in 2012

Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 PM

84 posts, read 225,945 times
Default yeah....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
In Depth: America's Most And Least Popular Cities - Forbes.com

Most Popular
No. 5: Tampa, Fla.

Also ranked No. 5 on Forbes.com's Best Cities For the Outdoors, Tampa's biggest draw is its weather. In 2007, 66% of its days were recorded as sunny. Beach culture and affordability are other positive attributes.

its popular because all of the tourists are old retirees and 40 years old+ grumpy midwest or north easterners who visit all year round UGH talk about annoying....ask any native floridian what they think about tourists, number one answer is annoying. atleast miami gets young hot tourists from california and NY coming down for spring break and stuff like that but tampa its just old grouchy people visiting all year especially in the winter and especially in clearwater

Tampa

*Lower cost of living than Miami
*Lots more places to rent than miami, there are many more apartments and homes to rent in tampa than miami and theyre definitely cheaper than miami
*Less crime than Miami
*If you are white you are not a minority in tampa unlike miami
*Quiet, slower paced lifestyle -this could be a con depending on what you like
*People are less aggressive and much friendlier than miami
*Most days in the summer the temperature doesn't get higher than 89 degrees
*Lots of "natural" beauty, pine trees, forests, cattle, horses, even some ranches
*possibly more jobs than miami depending on what you do
*Drivers aren't as bad as miami, but still not excellent, you'll see a lot of umm "crushed" cars driving around with dents and bumps in various spots but still not as angry and aggressive as miami drivers
*Lots of golf courses if you like that kind of thing
*Has a seminole hard rock just like the one in hollywood, fl8
*Has a colder and longer winter...depending on what you like this can be a con
*Peninsula next to clearwater is gorgeous especially when you see it for the first time, it has a hawaii island vibe that is very appealing, if you visit tampa definitely drive to clearwater beach, indian rocks beach and all the way down to treasure island and st. pete beach its a very pretty drive

Cons:
*Tampa is known as lightning city..wanna guess why? Lots of rain and lightning I personally love both so doesnt bother me but I think for most people this is a con
*The population from my observation consists more of older people than miami, lots of Q-tips
*Little to no nightlife compared to miami/south beach, a lot of people will tell you to go to hyde park http://www.thehydeparkcafe.com/ heres the link...they have a gallery where you can see pictures of the type of crowd that hangs out there, you might like it
*Quiet slower paced lifestyle I put this in pro and con because depending on how you feel it could be either one, and the slower paced lifestyle affects all things from how many bars there are to how many malls there are, just to give you an idea Tampa does not have a Costco you have to go all the way to clearwater just to get to a costco and imho tampa only has one mall that is worth going to its called the International plaza
*LOTS OF TOURISTS all year round and although most of the tourists visit and stay near clearwater, a lot of tourists stay in tampa and its just annoying, and tampa attracts a lot of older, retirees as a vacation spot so its not like miami where you get hot sexy 20 yr olds from san diego coming down for spring break its almost always 40yrs old+ people and families coming from states like North carolina, ohio, texas and virginia in their SUVs, it gets annoying after awhile -there are a lot of good opinions on this website as to why tampa attracts mostly older retirees as tourists and the main point that everyone agrees on is this "Miami is a little much for older people who want to bask in the nice weather and just golf or check out Spring Training, and also a bit much for underage kids who do want to go to Orlando. Miami is more for single 20-30 somethings, and better if you are well off financially than not. Tampa is cheaper and has less crime, and is a less socially and racially stratified place than Miami."
*Some people who move from miami to tampa complain all day that the city is dead and there is nothing to do
*No beach...well the only beach worth going to is in clearwater and imo its not as great as fort lauderdale beach, miami beach, palm beach etc but thats my opinion, clearwater beach is quite pretty when you're going over the bridge to get to it the view is fantastic it was breathtaking the first time I saw it
*Lots of people on here who moved to Tampa from more developed cities such as LA, NY or SD complain that some of the people in tampa are too "redneck" and hillbilly, and in some areas of tampa and clearwater it is true, think lots of bumper stickers on 1 out of every 10 cars, some cars even have 10 or more bumper stickers, I remember one that read "My other car is a broom" possible Harry potter joke? idk (a lot of people here make jokes about people in certain areas of pinellas and pasco county marrying their cousins and only going as high as the 7th grade etc theyre definitely exaggerating but there are more "rednecks" in tampa than miami, this isnt meant to offend anyone, just look at all of the threads on here Im not making it up)
*Lots of trailer parks, funny thing is some of them are gated communities
*SINKHOLES, miami has hurricanes well so does tampa but also SINKHOLES
*Tampa was voted one of the worst dressed cities not that long ago which only matters if you care about flashy or fashionable clothes, if not then you can walk out the door in the shirt you slept in, some shorts and flip flops, run all the errands you want and no one would bat an eye

Old 09-04-2012, 04:27 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,033,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Most Popular
No. 5: Tampa, Fla.

Also ranked No. 5 on Forbes.com's Best Cities For the Outdoors, Tampa's biggest draw is its weather. In 2007, 66% of its days were recorded as sunny. Beach culture and affordability are other positive attributes.
As usual Tampa uses St Pete area beaches to make itself appear more than it is..Tampa Bay area? OK theres a few small beaches on Tampa Bay but the real beaches are on the Gulf 25-30 miles west of Tampa and much closer to the St Pete area than Tampa...
http://www.floridabrasil.com/saint-p...ersburb-fl.gif

Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,559,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As usual Tampa uses St Pete area beaches to make itself appear more than it is..Tampa Bay area? OK theres a few small beaches on Tampa Bay but the real beaches are on the Gulf 25-30 miles west of Tampa and much closer to the St Pete area than Tampa...
http://www.floridabrasil.com/saint-p...ersburb-fl.gif
Saying a Tampa has beach culture would be accurate. You have beaches in close proximity and people from Tampa do go to them. 30-40 minutes to a beach is not a terrible drive. See the methodology below from the article.

Methodology
To determine which of the 40 largest cities were best for the outdoors, we used research from the nonprofit organization Trust for Public Land, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). We included the following data: spending per resident, park land as a percentage of city land, number of recreation facilities, precipitation, sunshine, temperature extremes and air quality.

For spending, park land and recreation, we used fiscal year 2006 data collected by the Trust for Public Land, which gathered information from city municipalities. To measure recreation opportunities, we looked at the number of ball diamonds, tennis courts and pools and created a Forbes.com recreation index.

For sunshine, precipitation and temperature extremes, we used annual averages from NOAA. For air quality, we used data from the EPA and averaged the number of days between 1999 and 2006 when the air quality index for all pollutants rose above 100. Index values between 100 and 500 are considered unhealthy and/or hazardous. We ranked the cities in each category and assigned them total scores.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,033,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Saying a Tampa has beach culture would be accurate. You have beaches in close proximity and people from Tampa do go to them. 30-40 minutes to a beach is not a terrible drive. See the methodology below from the article.
The methodology doesnt mention using other cities resources to bolster Tampa's standing, if we are going to use St Pete's Beaches as part of Tampa where do we draw the line? Could Sarasota beaches be included in Tampa's make up? how about Tarpon Springs Sponge docks, Webster flea market, Disneyland/Sea World, SpringHill. I think theres a difference between rating a city and rating the general area in which a city is located.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:37 AM

26,882 posts, read 43,382,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The methodology doesnt mention using other cities resources to bolster Tampa's standing, if we are going to use St Pete's Beaches as part of Tampa where do we draw the line? Could Sarasota beaches be included in Tampa's make up? how about Tarpon Springs Sponge docks, Webster flea market, Disneyland/Sea World, SpringHill. I think theres a difference between rating a city and rating the general area in which a city is located.
Exactly....and it's not like St Pete is a suburb of Tampa, since it (and it's immediate suburbs) comprises roughly 50% of the Tampa Bay metro area.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,861,361 times
YEAH for Tampa!!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:12 PM

35,370 posts, read 20,743,230 times
"""Tampa was actually named one of the worst dressed cities in america" that I can believe. Give me Miami anytime. Vanity is a attitude,,, doesnt matter if they dressed or not. Tampa has its attributes, natural is in- clean beaches, clean air, and good fishing spots. Tampa's thinking-- small town, is only complaint I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay