U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:20 PM

102 posts, read 378,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
Yes, people often do wear their politics on their sleeve, but I don't. All I want to do is co-exist and be respectful of other folks right to their opinions. But, I don't want to have to hear about them all the time. Have you been to Naples (where we're now living) lately?!! Waaay too many conversations sooner or later reveal what I consider to be very old-time conservative (and politically incorrect) opinions with absolutely no regard to what my feelings or values might be. I'm tired of biting my tongue!!

Perhaps you have to have grown up in the Northeast to understand the difference in attitude towards various viewpoints. Of course, nowhere is 100% one way or another and we realize that. I'm encouraged to have read some of the answers here by people who obviously did understand what I meant. Thank you.
Way to brush off my suggestion. It's obvious you're set in your ways and want to isolate yourself amongst like-minded folks. People who obviously did understand what you mean? Perhaps I had to grow up in the Northeast? Your condescension is politically incorrect.
I'm sorry if I couldn't provide you with a neat little cookie cutter answer with a bow on top, but the world does not work like that anymore. I pray that the world for me and my children moves away from the political ghettos in which we currently live.
Come to Tampa, drive around, go to the coffee shops and talk to the people... Read the local press, attend an event... Live and learn. Fix the problem and don't contribute to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 05:40 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,126,483 times
I know exactly what the OP is talking about. I have family in Sun City Center - where a lot of NE transplant live, sometimes snowbird there. The variety of political views is amazing. I have family members who are ultra conservative - and they will stop socializing with folks who are ultra liberal (usually from the NE). I can't believe that oldtimers are so set in their ways over politics - especially since they've retired to a comfortable life, probably have 10-20 yrs to live, but they're so deep into the political B.S. You think they'd just relax, enjoy the good life, and forget the political issues of our country.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:26 PM

5,507 posts, read 9,258,540 times
Tampa is a diverse and educated enough are for this not to matter unlike many other places in FL.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 PM

592 posts, read 1,573,354 times
Perhaps I used the wrong words when I used "Democrat and Republican". For that I apologize. I am not even politically minded, but I am liberally minded and after this last election I somehow connected Democrat with liberally minded and Republican with being "conservative", shall we say. I apologize for not being clear. But, I surely didn't write a thread to be insulted and yelled at! Excuuuuusssseeeee me!

To a couple of you who posted: I don't want to live in a Democrat ghetto, and it does matter to me for the reasons below.....

I lived my entire life in the Northeast without EVER having personally been aware of political issues being part of everyday conversation so very often. And, although I have no doubt many Northeasterners are biased against gays, people of other races and religions, immigrants, etc., such biases are normally kept to oneself and just don't enter into everyday conversation with friends, neighbors or co-workers. There seems to be a mutual respect for each others right to differing opinions, and you keep your own to yourself as a matter of course--and yes, you carry on with daily life and do get along just fine.

After moving to Southwest Florida my husband and I were astounded at how often racist remarks, political dogma and anti-semetic comments are said in social situations as though everyone in the room agrees and with no regard for what other folk's values and beliefs may be on these subjects. These comments coming out of left field in a conversation makes us uncomfortable and I think it's downright weird. We happen NOT to agree with these things which puts us in the position of either being confrontational, which we don't choose to be, or of being quiet and looking as though we agree with the comment being made. I feel badly with both options. We're just not used to being faced with this so very often when being with some friends or aquaintances. We still like the people for other reasons and rather than be rude we try to steer conversation in another direction if possible or we let the comment slide. But, as I say, that doesn't feel too good, either. If anyone out there has suddenly been put in this situation on more occasion than feels comfortable to them perhaps they understand what I mean. Chatting over dinner or over the backyard fence, where it may be, with people and suddenly hearing something that to you is ugly about another human being just makes you feel like, "Okay wow, that came out of left field and now how do I handle that?"

All I meant to ask, really, was if the Tampa area, in general, is an open-minded, live and let live, kind of place. I thought it might be because it is a city and a multi-racial/ethnic one at that. THAT'S A GOOD THING TO ME--FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DON'T SEEM TO GET MY ORIGINAL QUESTION! All I want to do is to NOT care what my neighbor thinks or have him care what I think on the issues I've mentioned. And, when I'm going along and having a pleasant day I certainly don't want to hear his small minded comments when I least expect it! I want to live somewhere in Florida that is a melting pot where people live and let live. CALL ME A BIT WARY, BECAUSE SO FAR OUR 3 YEAR EXPERIENCE IN NAPLES, FLORIDA HAS BEEN A SOCIAL CULTURE SHOCK. We have to move out of Naples for a completely different reason--a specific medical need, but since we are leaving Naples, we'd like to move to a place where we feel less surrounded by small mindedness.

And, yes, I do have friends here! And, of course, not everyone is small minded and we've made good friends here who we will continue our friendship with. I'm just saying in general......Oh.......I give up. If you don't know what my question is asking, please just don't answer it rather than yelling at me for being small minded. DUH That's exactly what I'm trying to get away from. I was hoping to hear what some people have said--that Tampa is a melting pot and people co-exist well. That's all I want is to co-exist, get past ignorance and have pleasant conversations with the people I meet.

And, now that I think about it, the reason I used the words "Republican and Democrat" rather than liberal and conservative is probably because in our experience it has been Republicans who have said these things, not Democrats.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,612,244 times
Judi, do you ever go on the TBO website and read the comments on there? There was a story this week on a city offical( not in Tampa) but somewhere else who had a sex change and became a woman.

The comments that were placed were just hateful. With the exception of a few most had no information or any knowledge of the subject of transgender. We have lived all over the country, so I feel I am a pretty good judge of demographics.

One of the first gatherings we attended( and these were fairly edcuated people) was a man talking about n****gers and how he had gone to N.O after Katrina to rebuild homes (for pay) and found jewelry in black neigborhoods and kept it.

I was dumbfounded to say the least, living here in this state is like the twilight zone.

I get what your saying, and I not a NY to FL transplant. We have lived in 5 states so as I said I have something to compare it to.

I find this area in general( I know there are exceptions) to be ignorant and very close minded.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 PM

And one other thing this man I mentioned, we had never met him before and within a few minutes of converation he bascially telling us he stole jewelry( I would call it stealing) while running a contracting company hired to rebuild homes.

This was his business, so he was not a low level worker. I just couldn't get over that someone would use the N word and then go on and share this type of information with people you don't even know.

Not very bright, they don't even get that not everyone thinks the way you do, and he is Florida born and bred. Not even smart enough to keep his unsavory actions to himself.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:19 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,126,483 times
OP, now I understand. Yes a liberal could comfortably live in Tampa as well as a conservative.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:08 PM

592 posts, read 1,573,354 times
Amen, Seain dublin!!!! Sometimes I think I'm going to fall over in shock at the things that I've heard people say since I got to FL. And, it just pops out of their mouths as though there's nothing wrong with it and as though, of course, you feel the same way. But, I don't!! And, I've never experienced being in the tiny minority of the "live and let live" way of thinking until we moved full-time to Florida 3 years ago. These experiences, that just come out of left field during normal conversation, boggle our minds!!!!!! It comes out of their mouths as easily as talking about the weather. That was all I wanted to know when I started this thread---am I going to find the same thing all over again in Tampa or is it that my husband and I just happened into it here in Naples? Thanks for "getting" my point. Guess I hadn't made it clear enough.

And, thanks BucFan for your assessment. We're heading to Tampa this week for our second "look around" but until you really experience a place by living there you just don't know these kinds of more subtle things about an area.

Thanks one and all. And again, does anyone know what specific parts of Tampa and it's surrounding areas a couple of 60 year old LIBERALS might enjoy living in?

Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM

Judi, I don't know your price range but have you considered the east coast of FL? As soon as we can we are leaving FL(came for family reasons), bought a home here, but still own one in CA.

JMO, but I don't find the people in the Tampa Bay area to be well rounded. The example I gave you before was just one that popped into my head.

One of my biggest shocks came with was the concealed weapons permit. Saw three men go into a convienance store and one got out of the car and had a gun strapped on his waist and pulled his shirt down.

I thought they were getting ready to rob the place, didn't know you could walk around FL( like it is the wild west) with guns, of course now people are allowed to bring guns to work. I am waiting for someone who is getting laid off to do a massacre here. "If only I had my gun"...."oh that's right it is in the car".

Like I said we have live all over the country and I have experiences here in the last two years that never even would have crossed my mind could happen in real life.

My theory is that the sun bakes their brains.

Driving here is a nightmare. Between the elderly(not all) and the teens, and many here drive with no car insurance. In CA if you have no car insurance you are going to have your car impounded and maybe get arrested. Here they get a ticket and keep driving.

You sound like your doing your research, but I can think of many nicer places then TB to look, you are aware of the awful lightning storms in the summer?

When people talk about great weather, sorry I will take San Diego anyday. FL is nice in the winter, but most of the year hot and muggy, and horrific storms in the summer.

In closing IMHO, I think you will be going from the frying pan into the fire moving into the Tampa area. Just like you I have had people make rasict, homophobic,etc. comments, and these are strangers(like the man I mentioned). People in other parts of the country seem to know better that you don't discuss topics like that with people you don't know. I guess they never heard about assuming and what happens when you do.

Good luck.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:46 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,981,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
Thanks one and all. And again, does anyone know what specific parts of Tampa and it's surrounding areas a couple of 60 year old LIBERALS might enjoy living in?
South Tampa is more liberal and almost all of pinellas county But like I said Before it doesent matter. People in Tampa don't really care. Politics isnt a big issue here. Thats why some many people on here are questioning why you ask. It not because we are all "ignorant and close minded" seain dublin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or