U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:37 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,601,942 times

Advertisements

Judi wasn't just talking about politics.

She was talking about people who blurt out anything in conversation.

I have had people who I do not even know use the word ***, the N word in a casual conversation.

Where do they get off talking like that, I don't give them any indication that I share their views?

There is still a large "redneck" mentality that exists here. Comes with a lack of education.

Judy wasn't talking about just whether you voted for Obama or McCain; she was talking about people who don't seem to know any better that you don't discuss certain issues with strangers and very casual acquaintances.

To be introduced to someone and within ten minutes they start using the N word and don't even have the forethought to think I might be offending someone.

From her posts and her reply that is what I understand the problem to be.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM

1,234 posts, read 1,061,745 times
Move to Greece. That is where Democracy was created. Spend a year there and then come home to U.S.!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:41 PM

540 posts, read 1,201,699 times
Judi, I think it is usually a safe bet to find more acceptance and tolerance in a community near a large university. Tampa has USF, which is a large diverse campus.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:59 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,834,780 times
WoW.. I never experienced anything in 30 years in Tampa like what Sean describes his experience in Tampa. I have friends from all walks of life from doctors, lawyers to construction workers so I think my circle is pretty diverse.

I do agree traffic is bad but it isn't just old ppl and teens. It surely is no different on the SE coast of FL in fact I would say it is worse but that is JMO.

Contrary to Sean's statement regarding uninsured drivers once they are stopped by police, I know is not true from personal experience I posted in another thread. You can have an insurance card but if the ins co. has reported your ins was canceled they do take your tags. If you have an ins card but have canceled it unless the ins co reports it they have no way of knowing it is invalid.

You might be happier on the SE coast of FL. There are more folks from the NE there.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:38 PM

414 posts, read 786,669 times
Moderator cut: comment Its not an insult, its an honest opinion based on what I have read from those posters here in this thread. IF they had negative reputation here, I would surely hand some out to them.

IM in the same boat as you Judipatooti. IM a native Washingtonian (D.C.) and I am looking into relocating in Florida. I am also a very happy person, and extremely liberal. I am also a gay white male, so for me the importance of your question, and many of the things raised by it in this thread is very relevent to me.

Some of the comments in the thread ( i referenced a couple posters already) are making me start to possibly rethink my decision as Tampa/St. Pete as the top candidate for my relocation. I come from a VERY VERY diverse, and international city, that also happens to be very liberal, so it is probably a bit different for me, and for others from similar cities such as NY, LA, Chicago, Boston, Toronto, SF, Seattle, Vancouver.

In MOST large cities I have visited in the US and Canada, I have found not to be too terribly different from the massive Washington D.C. Metropolitan area. Very open, accepting/ tolerant, diverse, and just generally more progressive than most places. I have only been to Tampa once, and that was many years ago (92) so I really do not have a great idea of what it is like now. Back then, it seemed OK, but back then it also seemed alot more ghetto and run down, than what I know it is now. I would not have called the Tampa area a "virbrant" place back then. I know it has grown ALOT, and has also cleaned up alot in the years since then, and has become a rather attractive place to live. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone!

I think for me, outside of D.C., LA, SF, NYC....etc Im going to be fairly hard pressed to find places that are as open, accepting/ tolerant, progressive, educated...etc. I know things like what has been described in this thread genearlly DO NOT HAPPEN in this area here. How go down south and west in VA... whole different state far as I am concerend. That kind of thing (throwing out racial slurs in mid conversation even with strangers) is not unheard of in those places, although Richmond VA is slowly getting better and going more progressive.

Basically for me, I just want to be left alone for the most part, and not bothered, harassed...etc. I do not wear the fact I am gay on my sleve, and no one would ever even come close to guessing that about me by just meeting me. I would have to tell them. So I dont go around waiving rainbow flags and all that, but I still do not want to live in an area where the human being I was born to be, is one that is hated/ reviled, at least not publicly. All races/ ethnicities ahve stereotypes, and each group has plenty of people that play into those stereoypes sure. The EASY and uneductated, backwards way of dealin g with that is to fear and / or hate it. I guess that is the environment I am trying to AVOID.

FYI, I played ice hockey for 25 years, made it to semipro (JuniorAA) then played on as an adult competitively until a few years ago. Im a DIEHARD fan of, and 18 year season ticket holder of the Washington Capitals, and one of the big draws of Tampa for me is that it has HOCKEY. I would be getting lightning season tickets if I do move there for sure. The main reason I wish to move, is that I can not stand winter. While the winters here in D.C. are not bad, I just am pretty much done with them all together. I want to live in a warm climate. I do not mind humidity and heat at all, lord knows for 3 months of the year its almost as bad here as it is in FLA. I also happen to LOVE thunderstorms. We get plenty of those here every summer as well, so that wont be a problem getting used to for me. Bottom line, its winter, im just over it. I LOVE my home town, and always will, but after 37 years here, I am ready to make the change I have wanted to make the past decade now, and that is to live in a warm climate, that is preferably a larger city, preferably with hockey and MLS, though I will settle for one or the other. Hockey is my first love, so Tampa has been tops on my list partially for that reason.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-24-2009 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Keep it about the topic. not about other poster's opinions

Old 03-24-2009, 01:52 PM

15,123 posts, read 31,016,405 times
Tampa is diverse and pretty much live-and-let-live kind of place. There are just soooooo many posters on this forum who exaggerate greatly, some of them have never even lived here. Tampa has a very large University (USF) and many ethnic groups, it always has. Now if one goes to the outskirts of town, it tends to become more conservative, but I find that to be the case almost anywhere.

As far as GLBT community, it is alive and well in Tampa, - look to Seminole Heights, Hyde Park, SoHo and Ybor (which is now GaYbor). I have many, many gay friends and even relatives living in Tampa/St. Pete and loving it.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 PM

414 posts, read 786,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Tampa is diverse and pretty much live-and-let-live kind of place. There are just soooooo many posters on this forum who exaggerate greatly, some of them have never even lived here. Tampa has a very large University (USF) and many ethnic groups, it always has. Now if one goes to the outskirts of town, it tends to become more conservative, but I find that to be the case almost anywhere.

As far as GLBT community, it is alive and well in Tampa, - look to Seminole Heights, Hyde Park, SoHo and Ybor (which is now GaYbor). I have many, many gay friends and even relatives living in Tampa/St. Pete and loving it.

Thanks so much!!!! I dont necessarily have to live in a gay neighborhood, in fact I almost prefer not to. Though I I would not mind being close by.

I have met a few people from Tampa here, and Seminole Heights is actually mentioned alot to me.

Here is a bit more about what I am specifically looking for:

What I am looking for is more city oriented. I am looking for nice areas, that are not that expensive. Good neighborhoods that are affordable as well. What are the good / nice areas of Tampa / St. Pete, that are also affordable. Im looking for a condo / apartment that is a 2BR, pref 2 bath, with balcony or patio, and I am willing to spend up to 1,300/ month. From what I am seeing on Craigslist, There are many places in decent areas that are what I am looking for, and many of them are well under 1000/ month, with a good number around the 700/ month range. Im not looking to be down town, but I would like to be still in or very close to the city. Comprable neighborhoods that I like here in DC that I would look for in other cities would be: Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle, U. st. Corridor, Adams Morgan. I live currently in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, VA, which is essentially part of north old town, and I LOVE this neighborhood.

Thanks for any feed back!

LET'S GO CAPS ! ! !

Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 PM

15,123 posts, read 31,016,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Thanks so much!!!! I dont necessarily have to live in a gay neighborhood, in fact I almost prefer not to. Though I I would not mind being close by.

I have met a few people from Tampa here, and Seminole Heights is actually mentioned alot to me.

Here is a bit more about what I am specifically looking for:

What I am looking for is more city oriented. I am looking for nice areas, that are not that expensive. Good neighborhoods that are affordable as well. What are the good / nice areas of Tampa / St. Pete, that are also affordable. Im looking for a condo / apartment that is a 2BR, pref 2 bath, with balcony or patio, and I am willing to spend up to 1,300/ month. From what I am seeing on Craigslist, There are many places in decent areas that are what I am looking for, and many of them are well under 1000/ month, with a good number around the 700/ month range. Im not looking to be down town, but I would like to be still in or very close to the city. Comprable neighborhoods that I like here in DC that I would look for in other cities would be: Capitol Hill, Dupont Circle, U. st. Corridor, Adams Morgan. I live currently in the Del Ray neighborhood of Alexandria, VA, which is essentially part of north old town, and I LOVE this neighborhood.

Thanks for any feed back!

LET'S GO CAPS ! ! !
I am thinking then you would probably like the Hyde Park/Soho areas of downtown. Kind of urban and walkable, not far from the water, lots of restaurants, etc. and near downtown and all the amenities.

Seminole Heights is a nice area, but it is mostly vintage single-family homes, not really walkable to anything, probably not what you are really looking for. Someone who lives in St. Pete would have to make recommendations about that city for you; although I will say that St. Pete has a more "Bohemian laid-back" vibe, and Tampa a more "urban" vibe, if that helps you any.

Tampaguy is our south Tampa resident expert who can direct you more specifically, but I feel certain you can find happiness with a place here.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,834,780 times
Please.. stay on topic and DO NOT turn this into a political discussion, Report posts that are rude or off topic.

Remember.

Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-24-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 06:17 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,185,161 times
We are all Americans. Who cares? BTW, it's almost 50-50 , so what possible difference does it make. People don't choose where they live based on their neighbors political party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or