U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 PM

28 posts, read 62,447 times

Advertisements

Hello all - it is great to find an active city board like this to get info!

So I am considering a move to T. Heights, into the area near Plymouth Park/Graham Elementary. However, after reading some of the posts here, I am a bit concerned about the safety of the area. I talked to TPD about it and they said that in that specific area, the most commonly reported crime is auto burglary, which in my opinion, can really happen anywhere. This is something I expect in a city/down economy and realize that urban living has its occasional consequences. However, the breaking into houses/armed robbery is what scares me. I have a big dog, but to be honest that is something that I don't want to have to worry about.

Does anyone know anything regarding the activity still going on during this poor economy? Is the area OK to start a family in? I love the central location, the amazing houses, and the sense of community, but of course safety is a real concern. I've lived in high crime areas before, but I'm not as fearless (or perhaps stupid is a better description) as I used to be. I would like to think that the Riverwalk and heights redevelopment will add value to the land, but as the recession looks to be here through 2009, one wonders how long it might be before these projects kick off again. I would be in it for the long haul, I guess I am just trying to get some opinions of residents before making a 5-10+ year commitment.

Any thoughts or comments will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all and have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 AM

13,773 posts, read 32,443,027 times
I have a good friend who bought a house in Tampa Heights 4 or 5 years ago and they love living there. They have had no problems at all with crime. Car breakins happen even in the best gated communities. If you are really worried about home breakins get an alarm system for your house, $30 a month. My friends have a Pit Bull that looks bad but really is a sweetie.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:02 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,404,363 times
I too have several friends who bought in Tampa Heights, and they really like it there, once the Heights and Riverwalk development is fully developed, Tampa Heights will be a very sought after area of Tampa. It was actually one of the very first 'neighborhoods' built in Tampa. They walk there dogs in the neighborhood, and it is a transitional neighborhood(veyr nice streets, next to not so nice streets), but I dont think the crime is more rampant in the area.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:17 AM

28 posts, read 62,447 times
Hey great input guys. Thanks so much for the info. Do either of you know if they live north or south of Columbus?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM

515 posts, read 1,078,207 times
Tampa Heights is a lot better now than it was even five years ago. Still, there is more overall crime in that area than there is in other areas of the city like South Tampa or New Tampa. The real estate costs are quite a bit less too, and that's what makes the area appealing to many. I think that the area will do nothing but get better, but you still should take all possible precautions to avoid becoming a victim of crime. This includes things like getting an alarm, not leaving valuables in sight in your vehicle, not running/jogging alone in the wee hours of the morning, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or