U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM

55 posts, read 116,396 times

Advertisements

Is Tampa just as bad as most places in the country for loud car stereos and such see Lower the Boom! , or are they cranking up the enforcement?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 03:18 PM

592 posts, read 1,570,215 times
We heard a couple of them on a main road when we were there a few weeks ago. But, all that did was make me smile, because it was a nice memory of the sounds of my home state (NY). So much of FL is made up of cranky old fuddie-duddies who, by the way, may not make noise on the roads, but sure will drive you insane in other ways, some of them dangerous. It's nice to see some liveliness and young people in Tampa! And, that's coming from an old lady.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,299,452 times
Certain Latino heavy areas such as Brandon and Town and Country are filled with the thumpers. And if its not the Stereo, its the 8 inch exhaust pipe that makes the noise.

Police really do nothing about it unless its REALLY loud. Most homeboys usually turn it down when they see the police. Its something you just get used to. Actually its more fun to just look at their pathetic pimped out cars and just laugh. At least they keep J.C.Whitney in business

Nav

Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,880,363 times
It's actually a lot better than it used to be. I still wind up sitting next to someone blasting the reggaeton a couple times a month, but about ten years ago it was more like a couple times a minute, lol. As far as enforcement goes, the cops here generally have better things to do than worry about people with loud stereos.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:46 AM

1,404 posts, read 5,131,655 times
I have to say that I resent how you always mention about the latino heavy areas. This isn't the first posting with your comments. It's quite offensive, even to me and I am not hispanic. I live in Brandon and I have not heard so much of the thump or boom. And do keep in mind, it is not just latinos that thump-it's white, black, asian, and other colors too. Discriminating isn't fair because it's not just one race. But I have been in this area since 2004 and haven't heard as much loud music as you claim is in this area. I realize we are on here to help one another, but I think your comments about certain areas with certain races we can all do without unless it was asked about (in which it wasn't). And one more thing, Brandon is not filled with latinos only. I would say the whole Tampa Bay area has latinos as well as other races.

Keep in mind, the main people who drive around with loud music are the young people-not just certain races. Young people think they are cool with loud music-period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
Certain Latino heavy areas such as Brandon and Town and Country are filled with the thumpers. And if its not the Stereo, its the 8 inch exhaust pipe that makes the noise.

Police really do nothing about it unless its REALLY loud. Most homeboys usually turn it down when they see the police. Its something you just get used to. Actually its more fun to just look at their pathetic pimped out cars and just laugh. At least they keep J.C.Whitney in business

Nav

Old 03-23-2009, 09:56 AM

1,730 posts, read 4,101,185 times
I hear loud bass coming from cars in Brandon/Valrico every day but when I look at the driver it sure as heck is not coming from Black or Hispanic drivers. It's the upper middle class white boys in their nice paid for by mom and dad vehicles that are making all that racket. Let's put the blame where it really lies mmkay?

And yes the noise is super annoying but I have to remind myself that back in the 80's the loud music was heavy metal and it was coming from my car and my friends cars, most of which were the stereo typical Camaro's and Firebirds lol. And just as we screwed up our hearing the kids of today will screw up theirs. It's like a rite of passage or something lol.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM

55 posts, read 116,396 times
Thanks for all the replies I think we will aim for Sarasota and pray that the new law is enforced. It's not a race thing, it's an addiction seriously Please see
"FEELING THE MUSIC CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH"©

A Comprehensive Review
by Bart P. Billings, Ph.D.

This military acoustic expert presents compelling evidence that digitally enhanced bass that creates very low frequency sound is not only dangerous but addictive. As if that weren't bad enough read what the Bass Pig says about himself! Not related but also here is Basspig.com and if someone is used to having this kind of pounding in their home of course they are going to have it in their car!
There is a National Alliance Against Loud Car Stereos
If anyone is interested in joining they have a Yahoo Groups

Thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM

154 posts, read 478,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwriter View Post
Thanks for all the replies I think we will aim for Sarasota and pray that the new law is enforced. It's not a race thing, it's an addiction seriously Please see
"FEELING THE MUSIC CAN BE DANGEROUS TO YOUR HEALTH"©

A Comprehensive Review
by Bart P. Billings, Ph.D.

This military acoustic expert presents compelling evidence that digitally enhanced bass that creates very low frequency sound is not only dangerous but addictive. As if that weren't bad enough read what the Bass Pig says about himself! Not related but also here is Basspig.com and if someone is used to having this kind of pounding in their home of course they are going to have it in their car!
There is a National Alliance Against Loud Car Stereos
If anyone is interested in joining they have a Yahoo Groups

Thanks
You are correct: it should not be a race thing. However, if you read the website you posted earlier in this thread: Lower the Boom!, the underlying idea in this website is undoubtedly racist. This is unfortunate.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,090 times
What's all the rage now is to mount a PA speaker such is this one: 100-Watt PA Indoor/Outdoor Powerhorn® Speaker - RadioShack.com
behind your grill, and run an amp to it. This way you can share your music with everyone around you and not have to hurt your own ears. Check this setup out:
YouTube - 6 PowerHorns From 1/2 mile away

Old 03-23-2009, 10:05 PM

13,879 posts, read 19,048,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I have to say that I resent how you always mention about the latino heavy areas. This isn't the first posting with your comments. It's quite offensive, even to me and I am not hispanic. I live in Brandon and I have not heard so much of the thump or boom. And do keep in mind, it is not just latinos that thump-it's white, black, asian, and other colors too. Discriminating isn't fair because it's not just one race. But I have been in this area since 2004 and haven't heard as much loud music as you claim is in this area. I realize we are on here to help one another, but I think your comments about certain areas with certain races we can all do without unless it was asked about (in which it wasn't). And one more thing, Brandon is not filled with latinos only. I would say the whole Tampa Bay area has latinos as well as other races.

Keep in mind, the main people who drive around with loud music are the young people-not just certain races. Young people think they are cool with loud music-period.
How is anything he said discriminatory? No offense, but you might want to look that up in the dictionary.

Also, I'd say his statements were factually accurate. Booming, bass heavy stereos are the most prevalent in hispanic parts of town. That is true not just in Tampa, but in several other cities I have visited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or