Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
Are there other parts of the Tampa area that LOOK like South Tampa (as in, people maintain their properties) but are not as snobbish?
Excuse me but I think this is kind of weird question....you will find 'snobbish' type people everywhere....Ive been in S Tampa for over 10 years, and Tampa in general for over 20 years...why put an entire area of a place you are looking to reside(that encompasses over a third of the total city of Tampa population) because a few people on a Forum run into "snobbish" people...its actually kind of funny...is that be 'snobbish' of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 01:57 PM

353 posts, read 802,538 times
It seems to me that the snob factor is less pronounced in St. Pete, but I may be wrong.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:04 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
It seems to me that the snob factor is less pronounced in St. Pete, but I may be wrong.
I am sure St. Pete has as many "snobs" in certain parts of town, as you will find in certain parts of Tampa, Sarasota, Boca Raton or any other city I could name. It is absolutely ridiculous to generalize about an area, and say it's "nothing but snobs", just like it's ridiculous to say an area is "nothing but rednecks" etc. There may be a higher percentage of wealthier people in south Tampa, but that doesn't automatically make them all snobs. There are snobs here in Sarasota where I live, but it's just a small segment of the population here, for goodness sake, there were snobs in tiny little Dade City (population 10,000 or so) for pete sake!

That being said, I do think it's rather funny that there are some people who think they are "all that" just because they live south of Kennedy! (my husband works with a few of those) lol

Old 03-24-2009, 02:53 PM

353 posts, read 802,538 times
I think you would probably find more snobs in Greenwich, Conn., than you would in Queens. I feel quite comfortable with that generalization.
Are there more snobs in South Tampa than in other parts of Tampa, is what I am wondering. My friends and relatives who live in South Tampa and other areas seem to think so.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
I think you would probably find more snobs in Greenwich, Conn., than you would in Queens. I feel quite comfortable with that generalization.
Are there more snobs in South Tampa than in other parts of Tampa, is what I am wondering. My friends and relatives who live in South Tampa and other areas seem to think so.
Not to be rude, but by all means listen to your friends and relatives who currently reside in South Tampa and consider there to be more snobs here than any other place, and look elsewhere in the area to reside. I cant stand snobs, but I find living in South Tampa very comfortable for me, and dont run into all that many snobs aorund these parts....but I guess maybe thats just me...

As far as areas where people 'maintain there lawns' and are not snobs...i'll let others comment on that for you...

Old 03-24-2009, 03:47 PM

43 posts, read 191,067 times
Snobs or no snobs, I grew up in ST and still live here. In my opinion, it is the best place to live in Tampa.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,424 times
I work in South Tampa, have family there, and looking for a house there myself (I really love the area), and don't think that they are snobs. Of course there will be some, but there will be some everywhere you go. My family lives in a community in South Tampa where a lot of athletes and a couple famous people reside and even the people there are incredibly nice and friendly.

I love the area, but it is very true that a lot of people who live in South Tampa, VERY rarely leave South Tampa. There is no reason to, you have everything there no matter what age you are. And like I said, there will be snobs everywhere, but South Tampa isn't full of them.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 33,849 times
to live in south Tampa you need a certain amount of money. When there are a large number of people who make a great deal of money in an area, then you can run the risk of having a few snobs. But I think to generalize a huge area and call everyoen a snob is just wrong. Conversely, does that make everyone who lives in the burbs the sweetest people in the world? Or are all poor people kind and wonderful? I just moved to Tampa 8 weeks ago and we are renting in Carrollwood but looking to buy in South Tampa because of the schools and lack of commute. I am also in LOVE with the older neighborhoods. I often work out of one of the Starbucks in Hyde Park and will take a break and walk around the neighborhoods and people will wave and be friendly. I do OK financially, but I am not "rich" by any stretch of the imagination. It will be a stretch for us to afford a home there, but it's only because we have no car payments and no credit card debt, perfect credit and we live frugally. I think you might be surprised by how many down-to-earth folks are living there by the same means and methods.
And as for the "barbies" who don't work - if you are referring to stay at home moms, let me tell you this: As a working mom who TRIED to stay home with the kids, Staying at Home is MUCH MUCH more work and so much harder!!! I work to stay sane and to make money - mostly b/c we need the money!

Old 10-14-2010, 11:05 PM

451 posts, read 933,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occifer View Post
I used to work in the South Tampa area, and we would get several calls per day from residents who took it upon themselves to call the police because a black or hispanic person was walking down the street. Their only justification for the call was that the person "does not belong in the neighborhood."
Since I expect my last comment to be moderated out, I figured I'd handle this a different way.

You're providing loose and unprovable anecdotal evidence to suggest deep-rooted and caricature-style racism in South Tampa. This is harmful on so many levels, and profoundly mis-representative of this area's culture. You could have received one call from one crazy, wherever it is you worked, but without qualifying your comment you are levying some ridiculously short-sighted, sweeping suggestions about racism in a very large metropolitan area. It's kind of irresponsible to say such things, don't you think?

My neighbors and I in South Tampa, of all races and creeds, would likely join together in a chorus of laughter at this suggestion. Even if what you experienced was true of a handful of bad apples, to bring this up in a wider forum like this is to grossly misrepresent myself and my neighbors. Think before you speak, man. There is no reality in what you say on the street level of what we see in South Tampa, every single day.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:03 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
I like south Tampa-nice area. Of course I've met a few snobs-but like others have said snobs are everywhere-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay