U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:38 PM

11,457 posts, read 12,308,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotabound View Post
Am thinking of buying a house in South Tampa because I love that everything's there, you don't really have to get on a freeway to dine, shop, etc. No sprawl, lots of independent businesses, etc. St. Pete and Clearwater are nice but too far out. South Tampa is very central to all points of interest in that SW/Central Fla area. But I am told that the people in South Tampa are snobs and jerks. Is this true????? I certainly don't want to live in an area full of "my butt doesn't stink" types. I have not encountered snobbery when I have visited but who knows....
I don't find it snobby at all, I love S. Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 02:37 AM

5,368 posts, read 4,834,954 times
South Tampa really is a nice area. The people are for the most part only snobbish when they are pounding martinis and long islands at the numerous night establishments in the neighborhood. The area is full of friendly people, and a vibrancy that really makes you feel alive. I couldn't live anywhere else in Tampa. I hardly ever meet snobbish types on my outings.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 AM

1,342 posts, read 1,635,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
South Tampa really is a nice area. The people are for the most part only snobbish when they are pounding martinis and long islands at the numerous night establishments in the neighborhood. The area is full of friendly people, and a vibrancy that really makes you feel alive. I couldn't live anywhere else in Tampa. I hardly ever meet snobbish types on my outings.

See I would think its mostly an area with young professionals and some older people. Some hippies perhaps too. It looks like a cool area and isnt too far from Ybor. It doesnt look too snobby when you see the older smaller more historic looking homes. it looks like a regular historic charm filled area to me.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 AM

4,089 posts, read 4,344,512 times
Go on TBO... I'm sure theirs another story about the people of South Tampa complaining that a business owner wants to put a cell phone tower on his property or another story just as ridiculous.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 PM

22 posts, read 77,727 times
Does anyone remember back in the early '60's when Plant High School was also referred to as, "snob high"? Most of the students in South Tampa went to Plant until Robinson was opened. Many others went to parochial schools. If you went to Plant, then you went to "snob high".
But, this didn't mean you were a snob.

Many of the kids a Plant were spoiled by their parents. A drive thru the student parking lot in '60-'62.....lots of expensive cars driven by 16 year olds. There were lots of Corvettes, MG's, Austin-Healy's, even the old T-Bird's. Kids grow up...... some rich... some poor ....and some really never get it.

Snobs in South Tampa is not something new.......They've been here forever and taught well. Bunch of jerks! Heck, I think they're funny

Old 10-21-2010, 07:32 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,270,681 times
They are snobs only in that the gulf waters are closer, warmer, clearer and prettier with softer sand than for the NorthTampa residents

Old 10-22-2010, 03:22 AM

286 posts, read 894,586 times
No I do not notice snobs in those neighborhoods. I am a student and hang out there a lot. All I see are friendly, outgoing people with a sense of community who enjoy their lives.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 1,635,317 times
I saw pictures of the "Typical STD" and to me, they looked like Jersey Shore types.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 9,088 times
South Tampa...hmmm. I work in Tampa and most of the people I've met in the age bracket of 28-45 are largely consumed with 'keeping up with the Jones'. The South Tampa mantra seems to be "whatever you've got- I've got better". It's all the about money, Louis Vuitton, going to the gym, sports cars, metro men, plastic women, tans and getting into the best VIP Club. This age group seems to largely be single and childless...and they look down on others for having children. This of course does not mean EVERY person in S. Tampa is this way and I couldn't even give you a guesstimate but it's def. pretty obvious. You can tell the self absorbed pretentious ones...they'll be the ones trying stand out because heaven forbid...you don't notice them. Just my observations on S. Tampa specifically. Clearwater, Indian Rocks Beach, Largo and Seminole are lovely. They are a bit more "suburban" but the people seem to be much more laid back and friendly- Maybe because the beach is just around the corner from them.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,846,168 times
Soooo.... just like every other hip, urban area of the country. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or