U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:49 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,851,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW25 View Post
I disagree - anyone who actually lives in South Tampa and commutes anywhere daily would hopefully avoid something as terrible as Dale Mabry.
That's the only North-South artery which is more than 1 lane in each direction. Bayshore sucks that time of day too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM

485 posts, read 801,998 times
I live in South Tampa and I drive all over the place and NEVER take Dale Mabry. I take any and all other roads except Dale Mabry, and I drive to St. Pete every day for my job and drive to Clearwater all the time for Costco, etc.

All you have to do is look at a map.

Most people who live in South Tampa know to avoid Dale Mabry.

I live in South Tampa and it takes me 25 minutes to get to downtown St. Pete. It also takes me 25 minutes to get to Clearwater. Same goes for Brandon. Or North Tampa. It's a breeze, because I have access to all the major freeways 5 minutes from my house. 275, 60, Veterans, Crosstown, etc. And most of the time there is zero traffic unless there is an accident.

It's the most convenient to everywhere, South Tampa is. And beautiful, to boot.

The reason the roads are mostly clear is b/c if you live in South Tampa and work almost anywhere else, you always have a reverse commute. Brilliant.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:27 PM

19 posts, read 42,521 times
I couldn't have said that ANY better, and obviously I didn't. Bayshore also does not suck that time of day, there are 2 whole traffic lights for 6 miles, I drive it to and from work everyday. Dale Mabry is the only 4 lane road north to south, but there are about 50 other ways to move more efficiently.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCW25 View Post
I couldn't have said that ANY better, and obviously I didn't. Bayshore also does not suck that time of day, there are 2 whole traffic lights for 6 miles, I drive it to and from work everyday. Dale Mabry is the only 4 lane road north to south, but there are about 50 other ways to move more efficiently.
Like what? if you live in palma ceia, and need to get North, you take what? 2 lane macdill? 2 lane Howard? go east to manhattan?

25 minutes to clearwater is a pipe dream too. I'd like to know how you do that. You have to go North to get to the interstate or your gonna hit traffic light after traffic light on kennedy, gandy, interbay or any other road.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 PM

I live in Westshore. My house is less than 1 mile from the entrances to 275, Veterans, etc. It takes me 5 minutes to get on the Veterans, another 5 minutes to get on 60, another 15-20 minutes to get to Costco in Clearwater. Zero traffic. Just a lovely drive. In South Tampa I take Westshore, Lois, Church, Himes, almost another road except Dale Mabry. Although I gotta tell you, Dale Mabry is quite nice early in the AM or after 8 PM. I also have easy access to the Crosstown by taking Lois down to Bay to Bay. 5-10 minutes. I HIGHLY recommend living in the Westshore area!

I am currently at work in downtown St. Pete. I left my house at 4:15 p.m. I arrived here at 4:41 p.m.

I routinely leave my house in Westshore and get on 275 and marvel at the parking lot going in the other direction.

Reverse commuting. Try it. You'll like it.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I live in Westshore. My house is less than 1 mile from the entrances to 275, Veterans, etc. It takes me 5 minutes to get on the Veterans, another 5 minutes to get on 60, another 15-20 minutes to get to Costco in Clearwater. Zero traffic. Just a lovely drive. In South Tampa I take Westshore, Lois, Church, Himes, almost another road except Dale Mabry. Although I gotta tell you, Dale Mabry is quite nice early in the AM or after 8 PM. I also have easy access to the Crosstown by taking Lois down to Bay to Bay. 5-10 minutes. I HIGHLY recommend living in the Westshore area!

I am currently at work in downtown St. Pete. I left my house at 4:15 p.m. I arrived here at 4:41 p.m.

I routinely leave my house in Westshore and get on 275 and marvel at the parking lot going in the other direction.

Reverse commuting. Try it. You'll like it.
You are in a very atypical situation with very good access to the interstate.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 PM

It's not atypical if you are one of the thousands who choose to live there! It's all about choices. You wanna live in XYZ place that has MORE people commuting TO Tampa than FROM Tampa, u are gonna get stuck in traffic.

You live in South Tampa, most of the time you will be reverse commuting.

You will also be 5-10 minutes from:

various waterways
major and minor retail
the airport
the stadium
the train station
bus depots
upscale arts, music and film venues
good NON-CHAIN restaurants
and most important: Wrights Gourmet House cupcakes!

Sometimes I think about all the people who work in Tampa and commute from the burbs/other cities. If they lived in Sotuh Tampa, they would increase their quality of life considerably. Imagine: going home for lunch!

Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 AM

6 posts, read 9,114 times
I live 3 miles away from the Gulf Beaches...takes me 20 minutes to get to my job in sw Tampa. Getting home with 5 o'clock rush hour is a challenge at times. I leave at 5 and get home around 5:40 now due to the rd. construction now. I dont mind the commute. Totally worth it to have the beaches just around the corner for me.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,628,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
I agree. What is there to be snobbish about? It's a nice area, but it ain't Nantucket or La Jolla!
Exactly, it pales in comparison to so many other places.

There is nothing to be snobby about, if you think S Tampa is the end all then you need to travel more.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:28 AM

19,237 posts, read 11,133,504 times
The city planners never took into consideration the growth of the traffic or peoples. Even a local newscast said the city will not support the traffic that will come in the future. but they continue to put bumps on the road and not expand roads... what does this spell to newcommers?.. NO room for you! Downtown is a maze, I dread going there unless I have to, again what does it say to folks who want to invest here? Downtown,,, it is much better looking than what it used to be, but still a maze. and access to the beach on 60 is a trip the whole entire causeway gets jacked up on any given holiday... open more lanes already...instead of spending money on speed bumps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or