U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,117 times

Advertisements

Am thinking of buying a house in South Tampa because I love that everything's there, you don't really have to get on a freeway to dine, shop, etc. No sprawl, lots of independent businesses, etc. St. Pete and Clearwater are nice but too far out. South Tampa is very central to all points of interest in that SW/Central Fla area. But I am told that the people in South Tampa are snobs and jerks. Is this true????? I certainly don't want to live in an area full of "my butt doesn't stink" types. I have not encountered snobbery when I have visited but who knows....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 06:36 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,300,873 times
Its really a mix. The "old" elderly residents of South Tampa are generally really nice and friendly. The newer "lawyer" types are the epitome of pretentiousness. If you focus on streets that do not have new McMansions on them then you would probably be OK as the condescending factor should be lower. If you are looking for "good family atmosphere and a great place to raise your kids" then look elsewhere. If you are into yuppieville and wine & cheese parties then this is the place. A lot of the wives who live there are "Barbies" who don't work and spend all day at the spa and on Bayshore jogging. That being said, Its a pretty area and a great location if you you like that kind of stuff.

Nav

Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,615,243 times
I believe you can get that "my butt doesn't stink" types anywhere.....There are over 100,000 resident that call the little Peninsula south of Kennedy Blvd home(South Tampa), im sure there are a few in there. I haven't come across many, but I also dont associate with people like that as well....

Old 03-23-2009, 06:56 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,825,110 times
Maybe if you live on Bayshore Blvd in a 1M home or in Culbreath Isles but most of my friends and relatives who live in S. Tampa are not snobs. Of course it isn't just S. Tampa there are other areas in Tampa who feel they are better than the avg person.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,895,330 times
I would say that there is a greater concentration of snobs in South Tampa (and Hyde Park/Soho). It's the prime address to have for bragging rights, and that is all that sort of person really cares about. However, there are plenty of nice people who live in South Tampa, too. Ignore the jerks.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM

127 posts, read 386,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post
If you are looking for "good family atmosphere and a great place to raise your kids" then look elsewhere.
Could not be further from the truth. We are raising a family in S Tampa and would not live anywhere else. The public school district is one of the best if not the best in the region plus there are a number of excellent private schools in the area as well. We live in Virginia Park and have many neighbors with kids. All very nice and hardworking people. There are snobs everywhere - maybe there are a few more in S Tampa but I don't notice it on a day to day basis. There sure are a lot of generalizations being thrown around...

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM

515 posts, read 1,142,774 times
I used to work in the South Tampa area, and we would get several calls per day from residents who took it upon themselves to call the police because a black or hispanic person was walking down the street. Their only justification for the call was that the person "does not belong in the neighborhood." There is much more snobbery and elitism in many parts of South Tampa than anywhere else around. I'm referring specifically to the areas with very high home values here--such as Beach Park, Palma Ceia, etc. Other parts of South Tampa aren't bad at all.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:13 AM

353 posts, read 695,872 times
Are there other parts of the Tampa area that LOOK like South Tampa (as in, people maintain their properties) but are not as snobbish?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 PM

43 posts, read 167,407 times
I grew up and currently live in South Tampa and I am not a snob. However, I will say that the area has its fair share of snobs and always has. But there are certainly plenty of great people that live in the area. When I am out and about, I get the impression that a lot of people think they are cool b/c they live in South Tampa. These people are posers. Give me a break. This isn't Manhattan, Orange County or Beverly Hills. It's South Tampa.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:05 PM

353 posts, read 695,872 times
I agree. What is there to be snobbish about? It's a nice area, but it ain't Nantucket or La Jolla!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or