Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from Michigan three months ago. Just in time for really cold weather!

Everyone seems to really enjoy telling me how horrible the heat in the summer is. I can see how this might be for many people, but I am SO cold all the time. I am very happy around 85* and humidity doesn't bother me. I imagine I will be hot when it hangs out around 90*, but I'm hoping it isn't unbearable, and I can always hang out in the AC.

Is there anyone who doesn't mind heat like that? I'm hopeful that it's possible! (Or am I kidding myself?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:47 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,379,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
We just moved here from Michigan three months ago. Just in time for really cold weather!

Everyone seems to really enjoy telling me how horrible the heat in the summer is. I can see how this might be for many people, but I am SO cold all the time. I am very happy around 85* and humidity doesn't bother me. I imagine I will be hot when it hangs out around 90*, but I'm hoping it isn't unbearable, and I can always hang out in the AC.

Is there anyone who doesn't mind heat like that? I'm hopeful that it's possible! (Or am I kidding myself?)
This is a personal preference...I LOVE the HEAT, and am freezing right now, this has been the COLDEST winter I have ever witnessed in my over 20+ years in Florida.
I play alot of sports, bike, Kayak, love the pool and beach, and warm nights outside..I cant WAIT for spring and summer....its been to frigid to do anything outdoors lately

But again, this really is a personal preference. One of my brothers who lives in Colorado HATES the summers here, he is a Golf Pro and moved back to Colorado because he felt it was too hot/humid in the summers.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:52 PM

329 posts, read 775,149 times
ahhh, grew up in michigan the land of shorts and parkas.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,607,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
This is a personal preference...I LOVE the HEAT, and am freezing right now, this has been the COLDEST winter I have ever witnessed in my over 20+ years in Florida.
I play alot of sports, bike, Kayak, love the pool and beach, and warm nights outside..I cant WAIT for spring and summer....its been to frigid to do anything outdoors lately
Good! This gives me hope. The way people talk, I was thinking maybe it was just so unbearable that I was crazy to think maybe I wouldn't mind it.

I am FREEZING right now, too! I can't wait for things to warm up. My poor kids keep wanting me to go outside with them, and I can't stand being out there very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy101 View Post
ahhh, grew up in michigan the land of shorts and parkas.
This is truly not inaccurate. LOL

Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Humid as heck here. Pretty unbearable. Most people that say they don't mind it spend most of their days in air conditioned buildings/cars. I usually golf every day and the heat/humidity/sun just exhausts/drains me. But I knew that when I moved here. I've been equally miserable in other southern states as well (Texas/Georgia). The only reason I bear with it is that the winter months up north are even worse to live in - and dangerous to drive in.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
The first two years are the toughest to get through. I have heard it takes two years for your blood to thin. It took me 3 years. The worst months are July and August. If you plan things right, you can do outside things in the summer. Do your outdoor activities in the morning or early evening, must wear bug spray or you will be eaten alive! Thunderstorms usually happen around 4ish.

Like several of the others have said, depends on your tolerance for heat. My husband hates the heat, I can tolerate it better.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:58 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Living in a hot climate is pretty much the same as living in a cold one. In a cold climate you start your car with remote start and let the heater run until it gets warm. Of course on really really cold days your ar does not get warm idling. In a hot climate use that same remote start system to turn on the A/C a few minutes before you get in your car (I plan on doing this since i have a remote start already). In a cold climate you keep your activities outside to a minimum unless the activity is recreational and requires you to be outside. In a hot climate your outdoor activity involves water. In a cold climate you have to push a snowblower in unbearable temps. In a hot climate you have to push your lawnmower in unbearable temps. See it's the same. The question is which do you prefer, HOT or COLD?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:07 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Living in a hot climate is pretty much the same as living in a cold one. In a cold climate you start your car with remote start and let the heater run until it gets warm. Of course on really really cold days your ar does not get warm idling. In a hot climate use that same remote start system to turn on the A/C a few minutes before you get in your car (I plan on doing this since i have a remote start already). In a cold climate you keep your activities outside to a minimum unless the activity is recreational and requires you to be outside. In a hot climate your outdoor activity involves water. In a cold climate you have to push a snowblower in unbearable temps. In a hot climate you have to push your lawnmower in unbearable temps. See it's the same. The question is which do you prefer, HOT or COLD?
That's it - everyone is different. I much prefer the heat, I can always go outside and do what I have to do, even if I am a little uncomfortable. It's usually not that bad, only when we get one of those weird "heat waves" and then it's actually hotter in other parts of the south or midwest than here. We live pretty close to the coast, and it's usually pretty tolerable for me. Only a handful of days that are what I call bad. I still rather have that than cold any day,. I HATE being even a little bit cold!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:12 PM

357 posts, read 799,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magijasakymaro View Post
Don't worry, there's plenty of frail seniors here with thin skin who will be wearing wool sweaters when the June comes around. You'll fit right in!
The thing with the humidity you'll learn is that it sticks around long after the sun goes down. There are some days/nights you'll go out and you will feel a thickness in the air and may feel like you can't fully breathe. Some days you'll go out to get the mail, and you will already have drops of sweat forming on your skin before you get back into the house!
You can stay in the AC most of the time, as long as you can afford it. Progress Energy and Tampa Electric keep raising the rates or attempting to every quarter.
The good thing we have here is that on most days we get at least a light breeze, which helps you feel cooler if you're out and about.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:26 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,750,239 times
If Florida's heat was really that unbearable, no one would live here. I personally love it... Well compared the cold I do.

Don't get me wrong though. It gets HOTTT in Florida, but there are always way to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay