U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 03:51 PM

71 posts, read 204,503 times

Advertisements

Hi, if we were to move to FL how difficult would it be for me to secure a job as an RN? I have 16 years experience; school nursing, home health nursing, and cardiac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 PM

1,137 posts, read 2,430,594 times
Just moved here from MI 9 months ago. There is a RN shortage here but the pay is lower. Best advice is to not accept a lowball pay offer value yourself and hold out for what you are worth. They need more nurses! The recruiters say that the cost of living is lower here. Not true. Home owners insurance, if you can get coverage, is high. Auto insurance is expensive also, no coverage for under insured, just uninssured... There are a lot of toles to pay and getting anywhere here is a lot of trafic and distance. One big hospital system Tampa General the Nurses I know who work there say the pay is terrible there but they like the teaching atmosphere.

Another factor is that because Florida is a vacation/resort place, many snowbirds leave in the dog days of summer, nurses get cancelled a lot then and end up using all of their PTO to suppliment their incomes. I think they should offer unemployment for these periods so they can retain their staff. Oh and this is a "right to work state", you may want to read up on that before committing . Right to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation

Old 03-24-2009, 07:14 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,591,236 times
Depending on what state you are coming from you may be cutting your salary in half.

There are nursing jobs but the pay is much lower.

Florida also allows a much higher nurse/patient ratio in the hospitals.

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM

154 posts, read 478,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Florida also allows a much higher nurse/patient ratio in the hospitals.
That should be good for nurses, better to have fewer patients per nurse. Am I missing something?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:46 PM

219 posts, read 516,555 times
I think that this thread is giving nursing in florida a bad rap. I have to agree with the earlier post saying negotiate for higher pay. I have worked as a staff RN in NC, FL, CA and multiple other states as a traveler. And I can tell you that I have never seen a difference in nurse to patient ratios. Now mind you. I only work in ICU, Open Heart and Cath Lab so I cannot speak for Med/Surg and such. But I love nursing in FL, it has been quite good to me. I can also tell you that I ALWAYS negotiate my pay. And I do demand a high rate and either I get it or I don't...if a hospital and I are not able to come up with a agreeable rate of pay then I will find one that is. It truly is about marketing yourself. The fact is there is a nursing shortage everywhere...which means they need me...not the other way around. If we as nurses would realize that as a whole then we could all make more money.
I used to do a lot of public speaking for a hospital going to high schools and colleges trying to recruit future nurses and I was always asked...."how much money do you make". And my answer has always been the same... In nursing you can make as much as you want or as little, if you are willing to do the work and put in the hours and become highly skilled then the sky is the limit. I know...you aint gonna make a million a year...but there is no reason why you can't be in the six figure mark every year.

The money is out there folks...you just gotta sell yourself!

( oh..in another thread somebody commented why my screen name is docbest74 when I am a RN and didn't I think a little to much of myself...that has been my screen name since I was a Medic in the military...that's all...)

Old 03-24-2009, 09:18 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,591,236 times
I was trying to state that FL allows more patients to be cared for by one nurse.

For example CA has strict guidlines on how many patients one nurse can handle.

FL is way more lax. And that goes for hospitals and especially for nursing homes.

Do you want a nurse who is being run ragged and making less money then their peers in other states is the question.

That does effect the type of care you will receive.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 PM

154 posts, read 478,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I was trying to state that FL allows more patients to be cared for by one nurse.

For example CA has strict guidlines on how many patients one nurse can handle.

FL is way more lax. And that goes for hospitals and especially for nursing homes.

Do you want a nurse who is being run ragged and making less money then their peers in other states is the question.

That does effect the type of care you will receive.
I am only familiar with cancer care and the standard of care in Tampa (Moffitt) in terms of quality of nurses is superior to many other places I know in large metropolitan areas in the NE of the US.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Higher patient ratio is worse. As a registered nurse myself, that ratio is very important to me - I'd be willing to work for less salary to have a better ratio. It allows you to do a better job for your patients. Otherwise, you can be spread to thin, make errors, and all-in-all, be miserable at work.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM

71 posts, read 204,503 times
I appreciate all you all responding. I really do not want to go back to the hospitals; I haven't done that in over 10 years. I love community health nursing. I don't know how much lower nursing pay I can get! Here, with 16 years experience, I make a little over $28 an hour. It's lower than that down there??? Plus, this is also a right to work state. I haven't worked in any other states so I don't know the difference. Thanks to everyone!

Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,103,626 times
Watching the president on the tube - great words for the nursing profession - what a guy!

Anyway, any thoughts about going into community college nursing education in public health/community health. The nation is going to face a crisis very soon because of a shortage of nursing instructors. Time for experienced nurses to get into education of new nursing students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay