U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 19,887 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 6 from Canada; kids ages range from 22 to 12 and this is our first vacation EVER. I have researched and decided on St.Pete/Clearwater area. Basically we are looking for a beautiful beach vacation....an area that is close to restaurants, grocery stores, entertainment...everything...yet still relaxing. We will not have a car, so we will be relying on walking and the trolley. Any and all suggestions will be so appreciated as we are totally inexperienced travellers and have wanted a Florida vacation for over 25 years and finally have a opportunity to get it...so I want to make it the best possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 PM

156 posts, read 403,024 times
Clearwater Beach seems to fit the bill for what you are looking for.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,795,287 times
I don't know what your budget is, but staying right on the beach is gonna be pricey. I'd probably try and find someone who rents a house or large apt right on Clearwater Beach by the month or 2 weeks. If not there are many motels on Gulf to Bay( RT60) with shopping close by and good bus service to the beaches. Clearwater is the best beach in the area but there may be good reasonable places to stay at another beach like Indian Rocks or Maderia and I believe the bus runs up and down Gulf Blvd,

Old 03-28-2009, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 39,690 times
I recommend St. Pete Beach or Clearwater Beach as the best places to stay for your first visit; especially if you do not have a car. St. Pete Beach probably has more restaurants, entertainment, grocery stores, and other retail stores. I'm not sure Clearwater Beach has a grocery store and it's a smaller island than St. Pete Beach. Clearwater Beach has a Marina, so if you want to go deep Sea Fishing or anything you could walk to the Marina. St. Pete Beach, does NOT have a Marina but you could take a shuttle/trolley to John's Pass Marina. All the beaches are beautiful with white sand. However, Clearwater is most famous in the Bay area.

Enjoy your stay! I'm sure you will have a great vacation!

Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 AM

214 posts, read 583,141 times
I've vacationed in Clearwater Beach, St Pete Beach, Treasure Island and Madeira Beach. They are all quite nice in my opinion and the trolley runs through all of them.

I agree with zevzen.

My personal preference is St Pete Beach. It can be a little less expensive than the others and you can walk the beach for a couple miles without having to cross any bridges, etc. There is a Publix grocery store within pretty easy walking distance of a lot of the hotels. Take the trolley up to John's Pass Village if you want to get off the beach for a bit, go deepsea fishing, etc.

Clearwater Beach is nice but the nearest Publix that I know of (just off the west end of the causeway) is not within walking distance.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 6,973,859 times
How will you get to either beach from the airport? There's no direct bus from Tampa Airport to the beaches, and I don't know how direct/fast the buses run from the St. Pete Airport. I'm sure cab fare would be pricey, especially if you're coming in from Tampa.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 AM

4,679 posts, read 8,250,294 times
Honestly, With the prices you'll pay for a beach front hotel.. You can rent an SUV from Budget at the airport and stay in the InTown Suites in Tampa or Clearwater for roughly $300 WITH tax for a whole week and come off alot better.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:14 AM

214 posts, read 583,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
How will you get to either beach from the airport? There's no direct bus from Tampa Airport ...
Some hotels have shuttle buses. The last time that I didn't rent a car (several years ago), I took a shared ride (Super Shuttle?) I think from TPA to StPB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
You can rent an SUV from Budget at the airport and stay in the InTown Suites in Tampa or Clearwater for roughly $300 WITH tax for a whole week and come off alot better.
Perhaps, but I thought OP wanted to be on the beach. Also, what if you don't want to drive to everything?

Old 03-30-2009, 12:03 PM

4,679 posts, read 8,250,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
Perhaps, but I thought OP wanted to be on the beach. Also, what if you don't want to drive to everything?
I thought they said they wanted to be close to beaches and grocery stores because they didn't have a car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay