Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times

Advertisements

i was in tampa this weekend and picked up the sunday paper to look over the career seeker section. i was blown away at what was in there. basically no real career opportunities were advertised unless u were a nurse or other medical tech. no technology jobs, almost no business jobs, nothing. it was full of customer service, callcenter, trades and jobs for drivers. how does anyone make money over there?? or is there another place to look for jobs other than the tampa tribune or st pete times?? monster/career builder show the same dead end jobs, almost nothin over 30k. i have never seen so many call center jobs in my life, is tampa the customer service center of the world??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 06:02 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times
Look up the top 50-100 companies in the Bay area, and search their own websites. For anything over 80k salary, I would seek a Recruiter/Head Hunter...I do know the Medical/Health Care industry is big, as well as Financial Services(MetLife, HSBC, Raymond James, Bank of America, etc.) and all have very higher paying opportunities, there is a large presence of call centers and service industry jobs in the area as well . What field are you looking into?

Old 05-21-2007, 06:19 PM

i have about 4 years experience in IT as a Network Administrator but the market for that was so bad here in south florida that i became an insurance agent for the past few years. i am moving to tampa later this week and just looking to get involved in a good, professional, forward moving situation. the want ads were scary, i will try company websites and see whats on there, thanks

Old 05-21-2007, 06:28 PM

91 posts, read 363,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i was in tampa this weekend and picked up the sunday paper to look over the career seeker section. i was blown away at what was in there. basically no real career opportunities were advertised unless u were a nurse or other medical tech. no technology jobs, almost no business jobs, nothing. it was full of customer service, callcenter, trades and jobs for drivers. how does anyone make money over there?? or is there another place to look for jobs other than the tampa tribune or st pete times?? monster/career builder show the same dead end jobs, almost nothin over 30k. i have never seen so many call center jobs in my life, is tampa the customer service center of the world??
Hmm...I actually saw the opposite...but I was looking at sales manager/director positions for my husband. Tons of those...making $50k base + bonuses. I think that sales is a great job to land, if you are good at it...because it's pretty flexible and nearly every industry needs a good solid sales staff. I am being relocated to Tampa Bay...with a global broker...and the pay is excellent...by up north or down south standards. The jobs are out there...look at insurance and banking careers...

Do you have any sales experience?

Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM

121 posts, read 515,226 times
Also, unless you're looking for a quick (i.e. temporary fix) STAY AWAY FROM THE CALL CENTERS.

I've lived here 8 years now and can't tell you how many times these call centers move in, splash the newspaper with ads, hire 200 people, and in two years...close down. We joke about it at work, even when really...it's not that funny.

It's dispicable that they do it, but they do. There's one company that's done it...oh, three times, I'd say? First in one location, hiring this many people. Then a couple years later it's layoffs, layoffs, layoffs. A short time after that, here they come, setting up shop in a brand new location (even if it's 10 miles down the road), and hiring another 200 people.

It's not so bad. I currently work with a wonderful company, 5 years now, and I found it through a temp agency. THAT'S what I'd suggest. While you're dropping off resumes and searching the want ads, go seek out a reputable temp agency and have them look for you too. You've got both bases covered, and your chances for temp to hire are good.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Also, unless you're looking for a quick (i.e. temporary fix) STAY AWAY FROM THE CALL CENTERS.

I've lived here 8 years now and can't tell you how many times these call centers move in, splash the newspaper with ads, hire 200 people, and in two years...close down. We joke about it at work, even when really...it's not that funny.

It's dispicable that they do it, but they do. There's one company that's done it...oh, three times, I'd say? First in one location, hiring this many people. Then a couple years later it's layoffs, layoffs, layoffs. A short time after that, here they come, setting up shop in a brand new location (even if it's 10 miles down the road), and hiring another 200 people.

It's not so bad. I currently work with a wonderful company, 5 years now, and I found it through a temp agency. THAT'S what I'd suggest. While you're dropping off resumes and searching the want ads, go seek out a reputable temp agency and have them look for you too. You've got both bases covered, and your chances for temp to hire are good.
do u recall the name of the temp agency or any others? i'll search online, thnx...

Old 05-22-2007, 04:54 PM

5 posts, read 20,640 times
Default Tampa Area Employment

Quote:
My wife and I are 58 with retirement expected in 5 years; however, we would like to move from upstate NY to the Tampa area. I worked in a bank for 35 yrs. and kept getting down-sized.

Any ideas regarding what suburbs would be good in the Tampa area? I currently work as a sales/service rep with Time Warner.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2007, 10:30 PM

121 posts, read 515,226 times
Quote:
do u recall the name of the temp agency or any others? i'll search online, thnx...
Hmm...yes actually. The one I used was AJ O'Neal, and they were great.

Moderator cut: comment I should ask what temp agency our office is currently using, because we just landed two really good employees.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-29-2008 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: bad rec/ send them a DM

Old 01-28-2008, 01:28 PM

1 posts, read 10,964 times
Default Possibly Moving

Hi there,

I also seem to be having the same problem. I would like to move out to the Tampa/Clearwater region to be with family but can't seem to find any jobs in my field. I am currently in the social service/criminal justice field. Does any one know of a good site to visit or place to look? I am not interested in sales.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2008, 05:20 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,160 times
Quote:

Welcome to Florida!!

There are lots of places hiring if you want to do an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. There are plenty of places that need landscapers or yard workers. If you want to do retail, there's walmart or other big box stores, or you can wait tables at a restaurant(make some really good tips). Then there is always jobs at the local motels doing front desk work or housekeeping.
You don't have to do a call center job. There is lots of opportunity,
just don't have pie in the sky dreams about making a million dollars a year.
good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: