U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 11:59 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,254,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Actually it is 15.1% with a BA or higher for ages 25 and older and another 2.9% between the ages of 18-24 with a BA or higher, this according to U.S. Census figures.

The lowest age group is 65 years or older where it goes down to 13.3%. Now since you stated that there is a large elderly population here that is going to bring the overall numbers down a little. This just goes back to the days when the husband went out, got a degree and went to work while the wife stayed home. As the population shifts to a younger crowd the educational attainment will rise as it has been over the last 20 years or so.

The median household income is $42,206. This is about $8000 less than Hillborough County and $3000 less than Pinellas County. Of course your housing cost and subsequently your property tax and insurance cost will eat up that $3000-$8000 right away in those other counties.

I have had this discussion many times with others involving many cities and the decreased income is more than offset by the cost of living savings. Yes, there will be other areas that income/cost of living will beat out Hernando but it is not going to be by a big margin.

Now also keep in mind that large elderly population that lives here. The ones that may have a retirement account and social security to live off of. They are counted in the earnings estimates but may only show an income of $15,000 a year from their social security since their retirement account isn't counted as earnings.

Lots of variables to consider but it is certainly not a "very uneducated" populace as you stated earlier and while there are certainly people living in poverty here there are likewise many living very comfortably.
Both education and income are well below the national average.

Here is an article today about the schools which go along with what I said about them.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/educati...chools/1138711

Quote:
At Central, for example, 44 percent of students are scoring at or above grade level in reading. That figure is 43 percent at Hernando; 48 percent at Nature Coast; and 54 percent at Springstead.

The schools' math scores are much better. At Central, 82 percent of students scored at or above grade level. That number at Hernando, Nature Coast, and Springstead was 74 percent, 78 percent and 77 percent, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
I was not educated here. I earned a GED just after entering the Navy at age 17. No problem making a good living. Never had. Two careers in life, so far.

I enjoy a good quality of life. My "happiness level" is sky high. I thank the stars for being able to live here in Spring Hill. I choose it. It wasn't dictated to me to be here. Had the choice of anywhere in the U.S.A. after we sold our Orlando home in 2005. Spring Hill was the choice.

I look at it this way: You want great schools? Move to a place with high taxes. You want city life, move to a city.
As you say, you will find the highly educated there. Take a look at the school statistics for New York City. Huge city, lots of big time, the schools suck. How about L.A.?

Life depends on what you want out of it and how you want to live it. It its not based on the education level or the amount of money one earns.

I can't speak of Pasco, but Hernando County is growing and more and more businesses are coming here. Have you been from one end of Spring Hill Drive to the other recently?

Harping on a web site about a place you no longer live in is a bit silly though, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post

Here is an article today about the schools which go along with what I said about them.

State gives higher grades to three Hernando County high schools - St. Petersburg Times

Old 12-08-2010, 12:23 PM

8,488 posts, read 17,891,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post

State gives higher grades to three Hernando County high schools - St. Petersburg Times
Quote:
At Central, for example, 44 percent of students are scoring at or above grade level in reading. That figure is 43 percent at Hernando; 48 percent at Nature Coast; and 54 percent at Springstead.

The schools' math scores are much better. At Central, 82 percent of students scored at or above grade level. That number at Hernando, Nature Coast, and Springstead was 74 percent, 78 percent and 77 percent, respectively.
Well according to this report that would put Hernando above the national average.

Quote:
Reading proficiency among middle and high school students isn't much better. On the 2009 NAEP Reading Test, about 26 percent of eighth graders and 27 percent of twelfth graders scored below the "basic" level, and only 32 percent of eighth graders and 38 percent of twelfth graders are at or above grade level.
Statistics About Education in America | StudentsFirst.org

Regarding income I thought I addressed that pretty well in my other post. You can not just look at income you need to look at the cost of living in relation to the income.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,479,007 times
I'm not sure but i think Spring Hill started out at Rt 19 and moved east. It seems the older areas are on the RT 19 side of town. Some of those areas off Spring Hill DR and Northcliff are really starting to show their age. Its common to see a very well kept house and yard surrounded by places that are falling apart. The key is setting your expectations at a reasonable level. You could easily be dissapointed by setting them to high.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:41 PM

7 posts, read 9,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flsouthbound View Post
Am I right that I read that the schools there are very good? (I have two boys (elementary and middle school) with learning dissabilities)
Are property taxes equivalant to $1000 per $100,000 house?
Is there school taxes?
Is Spring Hills mainly retired folk or are there alot of families with elementary, middle and high school age children?
What fun things are there to do (restuarants, dancing, parks, lakes, camping, water parks)etc for both the kiddies and/or myself?
Is there "any" employment there? I am a CAD drafter, but would work in retail, other, etc.
Is ther any other places anyone would recommend?

Any advise sure would be appreciated
I found this demographics for the Spring Hill area , www.city-data.com/city/Spring-Hill-Florida which you "both" can read but much of the info is only up to 2008. The questions I asked were because they were not on the dempgraphics, ie fun things to do, any other town nearby that one would recommend for a family to live (surburban), etc. Thanks

Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 9,154 times
That web site is:
http://www.city-data.com/city/Spring-Hill-Florida.html

sorry about that...

Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 AM

130 posts, read 234,886 times
The only problem with Spring Hill are all of the rude New Yorkers!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,135 times
My family and I are planning a move from Kentucky to Spring Hill. Is this a bad decision to make? Should we consider a different area of the state?

Old 12-27-2010, 02:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 13,207,142 times
It depends on what you are looking for.

Spring Hill is a large housing development surrounded to the North by mostly rural area, to the East by rural area and going to the south things get more suburban to urban. There is a lot of "nature" activity here.
Fishing, boating, swimming, snorkeling, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, ATV riding, hunting (to a degree). There are all kinds of shops and stores.
Lots of chain stores, so you won't be missing out on availability of anything. Health care is good, several hospitals nearby.

Employment opportunities aren't great and are limited. If one is into health care there are a lot of jobs.

Housing is currently very cheap, compared to a few years ago.

Cost of living is lower than say Tampa or Orlando, but it's not "cheap" by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremytodd View Post
My family and I are planning a move from Kentucky to Spring Hill. Is this a bad decision to make? Should we consider a different area of the state?

Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It depends on what you are looking for.

Spring Hill is a large housing development surrounded to the North by mostly rural area, to the East by rural area and going to the south things get more suburban to urban. There is a lot of "nature" activity here.
Fishing, boating, swimming, snorkeling, canoeing, kayaking, hiking, ATV riding, hunting (to a degree). There are all kinds of shops and stores.
Lots of chain stores, so you won't be missing out on availability of anything. Health care is good, several hospitals nearby.

Employment opportunities aren't great and are limited. If one is into health care there are a lot of jobs.

Housing is currently very cheap, compared to a few years ago.

Cost of living is lower than say Tampa or Orlando, but it's not "cheap" by a long shot.
You actually just sold me <3 I just graduated high school, so I figured I'd just apply to a college down there or maybe go to the community college and then transfer over. I'm a nature lover for sure, you just listed three of my favorite things to do, so that's a plus.
As far as employment goes, well, my mother and one of my brothers are both RNs, so I think they'll find something pretty reasonable. My other brother is going to go to school as well, so he'll probably take the same path I do.
As far as money goes, I'm not so worried. I was just reading through this thread and was hoping the community isn't as horrible as some have stated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay