U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM

142 posts, read 262,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It makes me wonder what the prior experiences of some posters here has been. If they ever took a ride through Flatbush, Bushwick, East New York, Morrissania, Jamaica, or some other areas they would dirty their jeans just driving through it.

You're not going to find that sort of thing anywhere that I know of in the Central FL area unless you really go looking for it. Any changes in Pasco County did not happen over night. There are some run down areas where rent is cheap and the area more densely populated than others, but I believe that certain posters seriously over-exaggerate a problem that as you say, exists everywhere.
I've lived in New York all of my life and I *still* need a change of underwear after passing through a few of those neighborhoods you mentioned, plus Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy and others.

You're 100% correct. Everything is relative. What is considered felonious and criminal to one person is considered relatively typical for another.

Before we moved to LI, we lived in an apartment complex in Queens which was right across the street from an Irish pub. Wasn't a Friday night that went by without having to listen to at least one out of control bar room brawl. I learned how to sleep through them after a while because they were so commonplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am glad you are open to looking at areas even though some people make them seem like the worst areas to possibly live. I live with my back yard to 19 (I can see 19 if I am looking over my fence) in New Port Richey. While it isn't the prettiest area because most houses need all new landscaping and many need new paint, you can get affordable housing in safe areas. Crime will happen anywhere, and I am glad you are willing to overlook some of the tiny things as long as they aren't too bad.

One thing that surprised me about the area was the roads during a hard rain. Some roads in some areas flood pretty easily during these hard rains and make them impassable. The water usually recedes quickly after the rain stops (my street is clear in under 5 minutes), but if you choose a house that you think you like and you have a chance to check it out during a hard rain, I would suggest it. I know of one house that happened to be in a small dip in the road and every time we get a hard rain, their garage floods. It is a strange thing to think about, but it can be problematic if you are at the grocery store and one of our crazy afternoon storms roll in. Some streets are almost impossible to get to during these storms.

Of course I may be one of the few that experience this, but I think it is worth checking out any way.
Great advice regarding looking for dips in the road. It was something that I hadn't really considered.

I'll add it to my list of questions which include:
1. Is this place built on a sinkhole?
2. Were the previous owners murdered or did they just choose to move out? lol

19 of the 23 properties we are looking at are 5 miles or more east of US-19.
The other 4 are just west or just east of 19.

If all I need to do is invest in the Scott's Deluxe Lawn Program to upgrade the greenness of my lawn, or buy a few gallons of Benjamin Moore's finest paint, I'll be a happy guy.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Just a quick drive thru some areas can tell you a whole lot.Your eyes and ears will probablly convince you more than anything your'e going to read on this forum. I think some peoples idea of a "real nice area" probablly has a lot to do with where they lived before coming here. Not everyone moves here from a "nice" place.
Nice people can come from some not so nice places......and nice people usually do the best they can.
I'd much prefer these types of folks to the uppity, nose in the air looking down at you people that also exist in some communities.
We now live in a middle class, "lunch pail" community.....and have for 31 years.

It's going to be a 2 box of Kleenex moment when it's our time to leave, but almost $12 thousand dollars a year in property taxes and $3.40 per gallon of home heating oil is criminal.
Working until the day I die just to keep up with a house doesn't seem like a worthwhile trade-off.

You're right. My eyes, ears and gut will tell me what's right and what's not. Every opinion has a bias, albeit unintentional....and while I trust and respect other's perspectives, the final call is mine.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 17,223,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Emerald point is where i bought my home and two lots in 04.
If my memory serves me correctly there weren't any houses in Emerald Point until 2006-2007.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
What year was that?
I sold at the end of 2004

Old 02-14-2011, 06:56 PM

12,135 posts, read 12,478,773 times
Yeah, but look at the rents in those neighborhoods! They aren't cheap.

Lots of gentrification going on in all of those areas.

Perhaps some of the posters here are from extremely white bread America and did live in Mayfield. A couple of kids hanging out on a street corner may signify to them extreme gang and drug activity in that whole neighborhood.

I await documentation on the 200 calls to the particular address in question. Amazing how the police either arrested the perps when they actually found criminal activity or the landlord requires the commission of criminal activity as a requirement for new tenants.

I have no problem passing through any neighborhood in NYC. Getting out for a stroll is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post
I've lived in New York all of my life and I *still* need a change of underwear after passing through a few of those neighborhoods you mentioned, plus Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy and others.

You're 100% correct. Everything is relative. What is considered felonious and criminal to one person is considered relatively typical for another.

Before we moved to LI, we lived in an apartment complex in Queens which was right across the street from an Irish pub. Wasn't a Friday night that went by without having to listen to at least one out of control bar room brawl. I learned how to sleep through them after a while because they were so commonplace.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but look at the rents in those neighborhoods! They aren't cheap.

Lots of gentrification going on in all of those areas.

Perhaps some of the posters here are from extremely white bread America and did live in Mayfield. A couple of kids hanging out on a street corner may signify to them extreme gang and drug activity in that whole neighborhood.

I await documentation on the 200 calls to the particular address in question. Amazing how the police either arrested the perps when they actually found criminal activity or the landlord requires the commission of criminal activity as a requirement for new tenants.

I have no problem passing through any neighborhood in NYC. Getting out for a stroll is another story.
In my time, a couple of kids hanging out on the street corner was the start of another Doo-Wop group.

The writers and producers of Leave It to Beaver never did define what state Mayfield was in. It could have been anywhere....or maybe it just existed in the minds of delusional people who think that such a place could even exist.

BTW.....there wouldn't be a Stepford anywhere in FL, would there? ;-)

Old 02-15-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I am interested in that as well as how he bought a house in 2004 in Emerald Pointe when the 1st one wasn't built there until at least 2006.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM

12,135 posts, read 12,478,773 times
Maybe some one expands on the facts a lot. I dont think there will be any answers to our queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I am interested in that as well as how he bought a house in 2004 in Emerald Pointe when the 1st one wasn't built there until at least 2006.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:09 AM

10,801 posts, read 7,746,638 times
If gave out the address of the duplex more than once, don't be lazy, do a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay