Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lameduck51 View Post
Did what you said and went back. Before all hades broke loose on this thread, the specifics were anything west of US-19 and three miles east of 19 was bad territory.
Just wanted to be sure that the boundaries hadn't changed as a result of the subsequent open exchange of opinions.

Do you concur with his opinion? They say that two heads are better than one, so please feel free to be the 2nd head.....or the first. I'm not keeping track of the standings. It's only spring training and the games don't really count unless you're a rookie like me.

;-)
Within his everything west of U.S. 19 and 3 miles east of 19 there are many terrific neighborhoods as well as some to avoid.

Before I moved another county north I lived about 2 miles east of U.S. 19 in Pasco, had no crime in the neighborhood that I can think of, can't remember the sheriff coming in the subdivision for any reason and my kids would play outside, walk down the street to friends houses, etc. without worry.

Of course I am sure some crimes occurred but it was a very safe neighborhood and there were many others like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 04:57 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Mike thinks the same areas i'm talking about is all peaches and cream. He does not even live in the area. Just ride around and see for yourself.
I have lived in Pinelllas, Pasco and Hernando for the past 20 years and my jobs have taken me in the majority of the areas both good and bad in each county. I don't make judgments of an entire half of a county based on a bad buying decision like you do.

I was dealing with the bar owner at the front of your subdivision long before you even knew what West Port was, I knew about Emerald Pointe, the subdivision at the back of your neighborhood, long before O'Donnell bought those lots from the bank.

Just because I did not make the bad decision of buying in West Port does not mean I don't know the area.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 AM

30,137 posts, read 20,843,952 times
Emerald point is where i bought my home and two lots in 04.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:16 AM

30,137 posts, read 20,843,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Within his everything west of U.S. 19 and 3 miles east of 19 there are many terrific neighborhoods as well as some to avoid.

Before I moved another county north I lived about 2 miles east of U.S. 19 in Pasco, had no crime in the neighborhood that I can think of, can't remember the sheriff coming in the subdivision for any reason and my kids would play outside, walk down the street to friends houses, etc. without worry.

Of course I am sure some crimes occurred but it was a very safe neighborhood and there were many others like it.
What year was that?

Old 02-14-2011, 06:57 AM

142 posts, read 314,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post

There's quite a divergence of opinion here regarding Pasco County, and I'm not one to question anybody's motives.....so we'll be visiting 23 sub-divisions in NPR, another 11 in LOL and still another 4 in Trinity.
If your "worthy opponent" is correct, then we'll just move to Mayfield, where Wally and the Beaver called home back in the late 50's.
No crime there. No drugs either........unless somebody tells me THAT neighborhood has changed in the last 50 something years too. :-)

Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,479,373 times
Quote:
There's quite a divergence of opinion here regarding Pasco County, and I'm not one to question anybody's motives.....so we'll be visiting 23 sub-divisions in NPR, another 11 in LOL and still another 4 in Trinity.
If your "worthy opponent" is correct, then we'll just move to Mayfield, where Wally and the Beaver called home back in the late 50's.
No crime there. No drugs either........unless somebody tells me THAT neighborhood has changed in the last 50 something years too. :-)
A lot of it has to do with perspective and the demographics you are used to.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:12 AM

142 posts, read 314,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
A lot of it has to do with perspective and the demographics you are used to.
There is some crime and some drug problem in every community in the country, even the most affluent of them. It would be naive for me to think that Pasco County is the exception.

For me, there's a difference between 'fear for your life' crime and TP'ing the house next door or getting busted for smoking pot. Heck, husbands and wives even argue once in a while, so a periodic domestic disturbance isn't a show stopper, unless the argument gets very violent.

We're looking for peace and relative quiet. Nothing more. A good family neighborhood or a place where us slightly older folks reside are both satisfactory.

We don't want a community where everybody is unhappily "stuck" there, for whatever reason they have....
We also don't want a community of transients and flippers, a/k/a, renters and investors.

Race, ethnicity and/or age don't matter. A community which takes pride in itself is our preference, and I'm 99% sure that such a community exists in FL, whether it's in Lake Mary, Land O Lakes, Palm Harbor or Melbourne.

Despite everything that's been voiced here, we still plan to see Spring Hill, New Port Richey and Tarpon Springs.
We're not moving until after the school year ends and we sell our Long Island home, so we've got time to look.
We're probably not going to get a chance to thoroughly investigate all of these places in one trip, but we should be able to get a pretty good general idea of where to go and not go during our trip next week.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,007,758 times
It makes me wonder what the prior experiences of some posters here has been. If they ever took a ride through Flatbush, Bushwick, East New York, Morrissania, Jamaica, or some other areas they would dirty their jeans just driving through it.

You're not going to find that sort of thing anywhere that I know of in the Central FL area unless you really go looking for it. Any changes in Pasco County did not happen over night. There are some run down areas where rent is cheap and the area more densely populated than others, but I believe that certain posters seriously over-exaggerate a problem that as you say, exists everywhere.

Quote:
There is some crime and some drug problem in every community in the country, even the most affluent of them. It would be naive for me to think that Pasco County is the exception.

For me, there's a difference between 'fear for your life' crime and TP'ing the house next door or getting busted for smoking pot. Heck, husbands and wives even argue once in a while, so a periodic domestic disturbance isn't a show stopper, unless the argument gets very violent.

We're looking for peace and relative quiet. Nothing more. A good family neighborhood or a place where us slightly older folks reside are both satisfactory.

We don't want a community where everybody is unhappily "stuck" there, for whatever reason they have....
We also don't want a community of transients and flippers, a/k/a, renters and investors.

Race, ethnicity and/or age don't matter. A community which takes pride in itself is our preference, and I'm 99% sure that such a community exists in FL, whether it's in Lake Mary, Land O Lakes, Palm Harbor or Melbourne.

Despite everything that's been voiced here, we still plan to see Spring Hill, New Port Richey and Tarpon Springs.
We're not moving until after the school year ends and we sell our Long Island home, so we've got time to look.
We're probably not going to get a chance to thoroughly investigate all of these places in one trip, but we should be able to get a pretty good general idea of where to go and not go during our trip next week.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:24 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,841,666 times
Quote:

I am glad you are open to looking at areas even though some people make them seem like the worst areas to possibly live. I live with my back yard to 19 (I can see 19 if I am looking over my fence) in New Port Richey. While it isn't the prettiest area because most houses need all new landscaping and many need new paint, you can get affordable housing in safe areas. Crime will happen anywhere, and I am glad you are willing to overlook some of the tiny things as long as they aren't too bad.

One thing that surprised me about the area was the roads during a hard rain. Some roads in some areas flood pretty easily during these hard rains and make them impassable. The water usually recedes quickly after the rain stops (my street is clear in under 5 minutes), but if you choose a house that you think you like and you have a chance to check it out during a hard rain, I would suggest it. I know of one house that happened to be in a small dip in the road and every time we get a hard rain, their garage floods. It is a strange thing to think about, but it can be problematic if you are at the grocery store and one of our crazy afternoon storms roll in. Some streets are almost impossible to get to during these storms.

Of course I may be one of the few that experience this, but I think it is worth checking out any way.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:51 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,218,427 times
Quote:

Just a quick drive thru some areas can tell you a whole lot.Your eyes and ears will probablly convince you more than anything your'e going to read on this forum. I think some peoples idea of a "real nice area" probablly has a lot to do with where they lived before coming here. Not everyone moves here from a "nice" place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay