U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:06 PM

226 posts, read 798,576 times

Advertisements

I lived there for 6 years, in the old section by the YMCA. I was back there today, what a change in that area. Where I used to see nicely kept housing, is now looking pretty unkept. garbage along the streets, grass not being cared for, overgrown weeds and trees. The area i was in just looks dull! Even thought I didnt like Spring Hill, its a shame to see the houses looking so run down. Is this happening other places too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,594,508 times
The plan in Spring Hill is now to get low income families into all the foreclosed homes.

For example a family of four who make no more then 28K will qualify for a loan.

That should pretty much do in Spring Hill.

While there are still many nice areas of SH, the push by the CC and the realtors is to get anyone in a house.

One in four houses in SH for sale are going into foreclosure, and HC has the 2nd highest unemployment rate in the state.

HC ranks 31st in the more then 3,000 plus counties in the US in regards to foreclosure.

I agree it is looking very run down.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:48 AM

137 posts, read 484,330 times
Oh God....here we go again.....

Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM

226 posts, read 798,576 times
Here we go where?? It was just something I noticed about the area. And its a shame to see it!

Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM

Well you see your not suppossed to have an opinion. HC just approved a plan to bring low income families into the many foreclosed homes in Spring Hill.

There is also a 160 low income apt complex being built.

Hernando County has the second highest unemployment in Florida.

There is no industry there so why they need another apt complex catering to low income is perplexing.

The area(Spring Hill) has gone downhill over the last few years.

One in four houses for sale is because of foreclosure, the realtors are so desperate they are happy about getting low income people into these homes.

Which will just create a second round of foreclosures, but as long as they get a commision.

What you said is true, the area is turning into a real dump.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:50 AM

425 posts, read 1,087,895 times
Yes, I too fear of another mini-bubble. I've already seen investors trying to flip foreclosures. And I don't doubt that there are many in government who think it is noble to "enable" low income families to buy into homes that I'm sure they really can't afford.

It absolutely nauseates me. It used to be that we forgot about what history taught us 200 years ago. Now, we apparently forget what it taught us just yesterday.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:03 AM

Very true.

By putting low income families into foreclosed homes, who is going to help them when repairs are needed to the homes?

How about property taxes, homeowners insurance?

The idea of putting people into homes that they couldn't afford is what started the mess we are now in.

But realtors and investors don't care about the damage they create by doing this.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:32 AM

154 posts, read 478,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Very true.

By putting low income families into foreclosed homes, who is going to help them when repairs are needed to the homes?

How about property taxes, homeowners insurance?

The idea of putting people into homes that they couldn't afford is what started the mess we are now in.

But realtors and investors don't care about the damage they create by doing this.
I kindly disagree with some of this. Low income families do not have the plague, just a low income. "Putting " them as you say, in foreclosed home is in my opinion, better than have them sleep in their cars in a parking lot or camp like displaced refugees. Having a low income does not have to strip you of human dignity.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:32 PM

Placing people in homes that they cannot afford is what caused the economic downturn we are currently in.

People making 30K and getting a loan on a 300K home.

Sorry I know the area pretty well, mainly retired people from the north. It has gone downhill in the last few years as the OP noted.

At that point in your life you don't want to have to worry about what goes along with low income. When you are in your 60's and 70's you don't want to worry about having neighbors with 6 cars parked on the lawn. Or worry about being safe in your own home.

While there are many decent people who are low income, what comes along with it is crime and drugs.

What they are currently seeing in SH in some parts is low income people who operate for example auto repair shops on their lawn and garage in a residential area.

Very disheartening to see an area go downhill. More and more rundown looking houses.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 AM

425 posts, read 1,087,895 times
Yes, not to mention that foreclosed houses will still have hefty property tax and insurance requirements. This is why the old rule of "2-2.5x income" is a good one. If your household income is 30K a year you can afford a 75K house, or if that isn't to your liking, you can always rent.

Dunno, I grew up "poor'" in a neighborhood in central FL that was a mix of old homes and mobile homes. But, my dad always had our place looking great. And my mom didn't work, so she was always there to help guide my development. We didn't have the fancy stuff... the nicest thing we had was a crap TV with rabbit ears and a 10 year old car. But, our house was always painted, the yard was always attended to, and the car was always in the carport and not in the front yard on blocks. Sadly, the same couldn't be said of most of our fellow low-income neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay