Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,649 times

Advertisements

Hi -My husband is on the verge of accepting a relocation from DC to the Tampa area. He's been down for a scouting trip, but I haven't been yet. From his scouting, some co-worker opinions, this site and google searches....I THINK we may be looking at either Westchase or Lithia areas. I know...very different from each other from what I can tell. That's were local opinions are needed, here's our story.....

My husband will work on Kennedy Blvd, near Rt 60 (not sure if the area is called anything, Westshore??). I will telecommute from the home.

We have 2 children under the age of 4.

At first, we will be renting in the event I'm not a fan of the move. I'm a Pennsylvanian by heart and have been in the DC area for nearly 10 years, so FL is a big difference for me. We are currently the "working poor" in a wealthy suburb of DC. Our school district is one of the best in the country, not just the state. We pay a lot to live where we do because we wanted to have access to the items our county can provide. We make huge sacrifices financially because of it. I drive over an hour each way to work and my husband does 30mins - 2 hours depending on which site he's reporting to.

My thought process....I like the idea of Lithia (maybe Fishhawk Ranch specifically??) because of the feedback I've gotten about it being family friendly and it sounds like there are lots of neighborhood type of activities and places to explore and the schools are well rated. Plus, after struggling to survive financially where we are now, it might give us some more breathing room. Maybe?

I like the idea of Westchase because it sounds a bit more like where we are now. It is a pricier subburb, but it may possibly have better services, options, arts/educational access, and the schools seem well rated. But, we'd be living close to budget again.

I guess I prioritze a good school over anything. I'm frightened by the blogs talking about FL schools. I was dreaming of the day I'd get a "pay raise" aka no more daycare/school costs, so the idea of a good public school system is always on my mind. But, if there is a superior private school....I could just keep paying and paying and paying...I don't see the money now, so why should I ever

So...knowing where hubby will work, knowing that I prioritize schools over size of homes, knowing we've got 2 young kids in search of family areas.....are these good places and/or can you recommend anywhere else?

Also, if you have any suggestions on daycares and preschools in the areas you recommend....I'm collecting those too.

Thanks!
B.

Last edited by Bails822; 04-13-2011 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,319 times
Yeah, that's the Westshore area. Florida 60 is Kennedy Boulevard until it passes Westshore Mall, when it becomes Memorial Highway and then becomes the Courtney Campbell Causeway heading over to Clearwater.

I'd pick Westchase, simply because it's closer to where your husband will be working. Lithia is out in the middle of nowhere and on the complete opposite side of the county and traffic would be a pain, especially on the local roads.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
Fishhawk is a nice place to live, from what I have heard from friends who live there.
It is going to be a long drive for your husband, but I guess he is used to this now.
Westchase is more centric to everything in the area, but more expensive.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:33 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,317,453 times
Fishhawk = 1 road in and out, traffic is ****ing horrible to go anywhere. Westchase and it's not even close.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM

877 posts, read 1,912,000 times
Traffic to and from Fishhawk (really the only place in Lithia you want to consider) is not good but the schools are the some of the best we have (probably not as good as what you are used to). Westchase is a pretty easy commute (30 minutes) and the schools are very good but not quite as good as Fishhawk.

Definitely rent for a while and don't make your decision too quickly. Be prepared for private schools in Tampa. Our son is 6 months old, we live in New Tampa, and while the schools look fine to me friends in the know are preparing us for private school.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,301,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
Definitely rent for a while and don't make your decision too quickly. Be prepared for private schools in Tampa. Our son is 6 months old, we live in New Tampa, and while the schools look fine to me friends in the know are preparing us for private school.
A lot of Hillsborough's schools are fine. Unless you're living in Central Tampa, most private schools are a waste.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewabby View Post
Traffic to and from Fishhawk (really the only place in Lithia you want to consider) is not good but the schools are the some of the best we have (probably not as good as what you are used to). Westchase is a pretty easy commute (30 minutes) and the schools are very good but not quite as good as Fishhawk.

Unless you live in the ghetto, most of hillsborough county schools are fine. Exceptions being anywhere inside the city of tampa city limits except maybe Plant HS

Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 AM

27 posts, read 84,872 times
I don't know about Westchase, but my daughter moved to Fishhawk Ranch 2 years ago from Connecticut. They love it. Lot's of activities going on. Great place for kids, and schools are good....especially Bevas. That was the most important thing to them. They have 2 children 10 and 7. Traffic at rush hour especially when schools are starting or getting out can be bad, but they are widening Fishhawk Blvd. My daughter works in Tampa takes her half an hour when traffic isn't bad. Forty five minutes or a little more at 5:00 PM. Crosstown Pkwy has no traffic, but is a toll. Fishhawk is not far from Brandon which has all the shopping you would want. It's convenient to I75. Great place to live.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Westchase is in a much better location. Lithia/Fishhawk is great if you need to be out that way. I dislike East Hillsborough county very much. The Crosstown is a very ugly commute (visually). Everyone is different, but I would rather not drive by smoke stacks and dirty industrial areas if I didn't have to.

You need to check both places out when you visit. Do not pick an area based off of research alone. We had two areas that we were sure would be great fits, based on tons of research and posting here.

We drove around these two areas and quickly realized it was not what we were looking for. Ended up finding an area that we love and like it here very much.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 PM

I work downtown and live in the Westchase area, a buddy I work with lives in Valrico and takes the crosstown each way every day. Our commutes are about the same, but he pays about $70 a month in tolls.

Also, it's pretty disingenuous to say that Fishhawk is convenient to either the crosstown OR I-75, to GET to either of those roads is a chore, and to drive to say, Brandon Mall or SR60 from Fishhawk is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay