Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 10:15 PM

46 posts, read 173,071 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I have been asking around, using the net for all of this research (this forum is really helpful) it would be so much more convient to take time out and go down and actually physically find the best place, but theres that thing called work-life-etc they get in the way so this is how we have to plan our move. There are several different locations for his job in the Tampa area itself so im not worried about that really... i just dont want to be very far from his job itself that way he can make a simple commute. When i read about the dog parks/beaches etc I was SO excited. (Our dogs are a huge part of our family, Im a breeder) so that was very valuable info. Definitely want a dog/kid friendly enviornment. Other then that I guess really good schools, pre-k etc. Those are important. Thanks for the city locations though, Im gonna research those now!
Stefany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2007, 08:27 AM

89 posts, read 345,465 times
smb, have you looked in the Trinity area? We're also moving down this year from Long Island to Tampa. My husband will be working in Tarpon Springs and we've been looking in Odessa and Trinity with Trinity being our favorite. The beaches aren't far away and the area is up and coming as well as kid friendly. Good luck!

Old 04-01-2007, 02:52 PM

I havent checked that out but i definitely will be! Anything dog/kid friendly works for me. Its hard not knowing until we move physically. Thanks for all the tips!

Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 34,914 times
Default Land O Lakes has great schools! :)

Land O Lakes has great schools! Hudson Beach (on the canals) is great for walking, but the schools are not as good. Angela

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb_minipins View Post
Hello all!! I am new to this forum my names Stefany. We are planning on moving to Flordia in a few months coming from NY! Why would you think? The money honey. Its expensive to live here and really not worth much 'cept the city. Anywhos.. Looking for any information on the general state or location of Tampa and surrounding areas. We have talked about Valrico, Brandon, New Tampa etc. Wanting to know where the best locations are for schools, renting and just plain walkng your dogs in a friendly neighborhood. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:53 PM

4 posts, read 13,938 times
Default Best Area Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb_minipins View Post
Hello all!! I am new to this forum my names Stefany. We are planning on moving to Flordia in a few months coming from NY! Why would you think? The money honey. Its expensive to live here and really not worth much 'cept the city. Anywhos.. Looking for any information on the general state or location of Tampa and surrounding areas. We have talked about Valrico, Brandon, New Tampa etc. Wanting to know where the best locations are for schools, renting and just plain walkng your dogs in a friendly neighborhood. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Hello, I moved here from NY about 8 years ago. My suggestion to you is to rent for a while even tho it is a good time to buy and explore the area. Tampa Bay are is large with alot of suburbs including Pinellas County.

My opinion from your list?? I would not suggest New Tampa. Brandon is nice and I find very family oriented. Valrico? Don't know much about, but it's out there. I moved down to Tampa from NY and settled in NW Tampa out towards Oldsmar. It was great then, but now the traffic is horrible!..especially if you have to travel downtown Tampa to work, or anywhere due east. Know I am living in NE St Pete and absolutly love it and wouldn't consider moving anywhere else. There is alot of culture here, alot of great and different neighborhoods, downtown is great, it is really easy access to Tampa (2 bridges), never any slow traffic because of all of the north, south, east, west streets to travel by and 275 NEVER gets backed up here like Tampa and of course you are near all the great beaches! If you hit an accident jam there are many other ways to travel to get anywhere, not like Tampa you are pretty stuck on 275, the Veterans, or Dale Mabry.

South Tampa is definatly very nice to. Pinellas County?? Palm Harbor, Oldsmar and south is nice.

Old 04-12-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramsey View Post
Hello, I moved here from NY about 8 years ago. My suggestion to you is to rent for a while even tho it is a good time to buy and explore the area. Tampa Bay are is large with alot of suburbs including Pinellas County.

My opinion from your list?? I would not suggest New Tampa. Brandon is nice and I find very family oriented. Valrico? Don't know much about, but it's out there. I moved down to Tampa from NY and settled in NW Tampa out towards Oldsmar. It was great then, but now the traffic is horrible!..especially if you have to travel downtown Tampa to work, or anywhere due east. Know I am living in NE St Pete and absolutly love it and wouldn't consider moving anywhere else. There is alot of culture here, alot of great and different neighborhoods, downtown is great, it is really easy access to Tampa (2 bridges), never any slow traffic because of all of the north, south, east, west streets to travel by and 275 NEVER gets backed up here like Tampa and of course you are near all the great beaches! If you hit an accident jam there are many other ways to travel to get anywhere, not like Tampa you are pretty stuck on 275, the Veterans, or Dale Mabry.

South Tampa is definatly very nice to. Pinellas County?? Palm Harbor, Oldsmar and south is nice.

Thanks for all your explanation and help. Every single little bit helps esp. when im here, and i need to know about down there, im sure you have been there done that though..

Anyway, yea well my husbands job will end him up in one of the two locations, one is in Tampa itself and the other is in Pinellas Park. Pinellas i hear is nice i didnt do much research on the area.... im just looking for somewhere where we dont have to watch our backs constantly and decent people as neighbors. we will be renting at first as well so we can possibly move around if we dont like the spot we pick. Thanks again

Old 04-24-2007, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 9,091 times
Let me start by telling you a little bit about myself.

I came from NY also, I lived in Manhattan (Washington Heights) so you know you cannot get more congested or crowded than that.

Having said that, I will tell you that Yes Valrico does have a lot of traffic, Yes we do have high taxes (compared to other areas in Tampa) and yes the housing maybe overpriced. BUT I still think it is a good place to live as opposed to other places in Tampa.

The thing I like about Valrico is that you can still get the best of both worlds there are still a lot of rural areas, there are still a lot of Strawberry farms as well as Orange groves, although they are all dissapearing fast to build new homes. If you want to have dinner or go to the mall they are all there as their is a big shopping district on state rd. 60 (Brandon Blvd.) and also on Lumsen Blvd. (Causeway). The whole area is geared towards families, all the restaurants and even bars are called family bars where they have play rooms for the kids to enjoy arcade type games while you can sit at the bar.

I happen to love the area, if you have to commute to work in Tampa it takes about 40 minutes to an hour depending at what time of the day, if you leave early (as I do) I get to Tampa (by the Airport) in a half hour.

I would really consider moving to this area, everyone has their own opinion and you gotta respect it but do not make a commitment until you see all the areas for yourself and decide which is better suited for you and your family.

In case you need a Realtor, let me know as I can assist you and any buys or sells or Mortgage assistance you need.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:23 AM
JDT

8 posts, read 36,010 times
any other advice? This has been great. Husband and I may be moving from NJ/NY area. He'll be working in St Petersburg and I'll be working in Tampa, West Tampa I believe. He wants a commute no more than 30 mins (as opposed to his 1-2 hour commute now). No kids right now, but we have a furry one (a cat).

Old 09-08-2007, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,113 times
Smile Welcome to FL

hello, everyone here is a transplant and we all have different priorities. I am from WI originally and value safe, pedestrian friendly areas with good schools and my idea of safe is where women run alone at night, and don't mind older smaller houses if I can live close to my work.

That said.... check out Seminole. This burb is known for having the best school system in Pinellas, safe, and very family friendly, and you will pay more for houses in this area. Other areas that are great, North East St. Petersburg is awesome, there are great pockets with safe neighborhoods, dogparks, and lots of great Private schools close by. That is by far the hardest thing here is the school system. I never planned on raising my kids in this school system, I am biased and from WI. But here I am with kids in FL. We are looking at moving back to Seminole from a gorgeous home in Manatee county, which is a 55 minute commute to Largo for us to get to work. we have determined that we could use the combined 4 hours total of our life back each day, and have a smaller house.

There are a lot of great new communities, but you have to do the trade off of your life and the time for commuting to these outskirts areas. Many people end up fat and unhealthy becuase they don't have any personal time after giving up so much time on the road.

Best of luck to you. If you are a dog person, definitely check out Northeast ST. Pete!

Cheers,
Anne

Old 09-09-2007, 01:25 PM

8 posts, read 48,710 times
First off..I've got a Min Pin too! lol (always glad to see min pin owners)

Im moving to FL too!

From what I've seen and researched..I'd pick Clearwater and surrounding area (Dunedin etc). Very nice houses and not overly expensive. The beaches are priceless and theres so much to do everywhere.

Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay