U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 PM

156 posts, read 412,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What stores in that area are really in walking distance? Sure, it's pretty safe as far as crime goes, but for walk-ability all you have is a sidewalk along a main road where lots of crashes happen. There's really nothing there to protect the pedestrians from any crashes. That is not really a place I'd be a fan of walking in.

I would not rely too much on the PSTA. They leave alot to be desired, especially once you are out of "peak" times.
Seminole is a reasonably safe area. The evidence can be found in the higher cost of housing and top schools. Seminole has long been touted for their excellent schools. Top schools usually raise the demand and standard of living to the immediate area. Seminole fits the bill.

I am not saying Seminole Blvd is completely safe. However, it is no more unsafe than any other major road in Pinellas County. You have to follow road rules and logic: use crosswalks instead of jaywalking, look both ways before crossing, walk against the traffic, etc. My guess is one's survival rate will increase expedientially with their williness to follow the rules of the road. My opinion.

There are plenty of shops and eateries within walking distance. Here are a few establishments within a mile radius:

Walgreens
CVS
SunTrust Bank
Publix
Sweetbay
Good Year
Hollywood Video
Subway
Wendy's
Taco Bell
Chick-fil-a
Panda Express
TJ Maxx
Burlington
Burger King
University General Hospital
Lifestyle Fitness
Bistro

This does not include the countless number of smaller establishments.

Last edited by a_fl_vol; 04-04-2009 at 06:43 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 03:39 AM

91 posts, read 474,420 times
Smile It sounds like the kind of area I'm looking for.....

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for the input.It sounds like a descent area and I am very careful when walking any place.
I did go to the walking website(thanks for the link) and it gives the area a 55 out of 100 for walking.So that's good.I'm happy with that.
I just wanted an area that had places nearby(thanks for the list of places within walking distance) so I don't have to drive everywhere I want to go.
I really appreciate everybody's comments/opinions.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:08 PM

26 posts, read 52,042 times
I lived in the Seminole/Largo area for over 30 years and never considered it a "walking" town. Seminole Blvd can be a very dangerous road. I've seen my share of fatalities along that road. Be safe!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 15,445 times
As a 'gay' man, I was discriminated against for being assumed to be gay. I was outed by the City of Seminole. I was reprimanded for 'acting' gay by my employer for words used away from work. There are many bigots in the Seminole area. If you are a bigot, it would be a good place for you. Go to Clearwater, or better, St. Petersburg, where people are less likely to discriminate due to a Human Rights ordinance. I lived there, but the bigots are everywhere, and aren't afraid to show you.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,053 times
Default Lived here 1 year.

My wife and I have lived in Seminole for about a year. We either ride our bicycles or take the bus everywhere we go. We love it here. No safety issues. The bus routes are fine. It is a great place to live.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:42 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,114,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiest50 View Post
Is this area walkable?Safe?A nice area to live.
Are there stores close by?
Thanks for any Info.
It's very safe/nice, but that part of Pinellas county was not designed to be walkable. It's get in your car and drive territory.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 PM

1,402 posts, read 2,499,897 times
I have lived here for 12 years.
Yes there are bigots, but they are everywhere, we have gay couples and mixed race couples living in our actual neighborhood and they are happy here.Or at least they have been here a long time so probably are.
The major route that is Seminole Blvd is crossable, but with caution at crossing points. There is public transport that is pretty decent.
Though most folks tend to use cars as it's so darned hot to walk in summer here, it is possible to live without one, so long as you are flexible about time to get to places.
A lot of folks use bikes to get around local places, it is becoming more common but again, caution on major roads like Sem Blvd - but you dont have to ride on the road.
There is handy local grocery shopping, just a few yards down (same side) of street is an Aldi supermarket. Seminole Mall is close by too, and there is a hub of bus stops there too.
It is not a dangerous place to live at all, very safe in my opinion and I am sure this opinion is shared by the many hundreds of residents in that immediate area.
It is certainly more commercial than other parts of our city but it's def. ok
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay