Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:36 PM

54 posts, read 165,495 times

Advertisements

Looking for first-hand referrals for a reliable, relatively affordable auto repair place. We've become discouraged with our current repair shop. Prefer someplace in south or central Tampa. I'm not sure if posting specific business names is prohibited here, so feel free to message me directly if you have any recommendations. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 04:29 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Recommendations are allowed if you have more than 10 posts and you are not recommending yourself, a family member or a real estate agent

Old 10-26-2011, 06:51 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
If you have a domestic brand car, call your dealer. Get a feel for them and ask some questions]You may be shocked and find they are very comparable in prices. The dealer is certainly the most qualified to work on their brand of car. Dealerships for years drove off a lot of business in their service depts. now are trying like mad to regain their customers.

Last edited by ghostrider7811; 10-26-2011 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-27-2011, 06:56 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
We have had several threads with recommendations over the year. You can do a 'search this forum' if you don't get enough recommendations. I know there is a guy who works on german cars right behind Woody car lot of Gandy that is very good.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
My family uses Cass automotive. There on fletcher by nebraska, they have done a lot of work for my parents and there really stand up honest people and do good work.

(813) 972-1090
1136 E Fletcher Ave Ste B
Tampa, FL 33612

Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM

54 posts, read 165,495 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check these out!

Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,404 times
Long time ago I learn that car repair people (many professions for that matter, two dentists gave us completley different quote for the same work) will get what ever they can from you! It doesn't matter if it is with referral. If their bottom line is $100, they will try to sale you the same service for $200, $175, $150, $125, depending on how much you know about the specific service.

The best you can do is know more or less how much it cost to fix the thing that you want to do from a few of them and then look for the referral. Referral doesn't do a thing about the cost most of the time.

I will tell you that the people that I trust their work keep quoting me different for the same service every time I ask for something that I don't need urgent, for example. When I say, "you know what? last time you quote me this much " and they would say "OK, let me get a coupon to get ya that price," is the answer. I know, for example, a clutch work would cost me somewhere $500 to $700, so it is a matter of if I can find the person that would do best and how much I am going to offer. Get the idea? And I always use "somebody quote me this last time" and it works .

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 PM

451 posts, read 933,697 times
Run, run, run, do not walk, to Bay Area Automotive. It's a few blocks north of Kennedy off of Rome. I think Fig and Rome? I have had amazing service there, truly honest and welcoming people. When I first visited, my car was stalling out. They ran a diagnosis, it showed that I needed to replace a valve that would come to $180 with labor. About 20 mins into the inspection where the mechanic (and owner) looked at the unit, he noticed a small rubber hose that was pierced. He had a similar gauge hose on hand, cut it to the proper length, fit it onto my engine and fired it up. The check engine light went off, the car stopped stalling, everything was perfect.

After 40 mins of work, I asked for a price. "Don't worry about it, it's on us." They ate the labor cost they would have charged me, but gained a customer for life. Awesome, honest mechanics and entirely skilled people. A+, in my book.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:14 AM

62 posts, read 194,599 times
I took my Acura to this mechanic. He was recommended to us by my workmates who all use him. He has customers that drive across the state to use him. He is super honest and will never over sell you.

Mike Young
Precision Automotive Ltd
206 E Robertson St, Brandon, FL
(813) 685-1353

Old 10-29-2011, 05:01 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,631,710 times
This is the DM I sent to the OP, guess I will copy it here.

Quote:
I use the shop at John's Auto, just south of Gandy on S. Westshore Blvd. I feel the prices are fair and they do good work. They get parts in quickly and keep me in the loop about what's going on with my repair. They tell me when things are wearing out and will soon need attention, but never try to pressure me into having the repairs right now.

The only part that sucks is that they are only open weekdays, but I do see them receiving cars during off-hours sometimes so you can probably make an appointment. I usually deal with Jeff - I think he is the manager, or John - I think the owner. Both very nice guys. The number is (813) 839-0358

For the record - I'm just a customer, and I am not affiliated with this business in any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: