Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 07:21 AM

67 posts, read 86,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a person View Post
I'll weigh in since I live here.

Pros:
-It is still semi-rural, so you don't feel claustrophobic up here.
-Lower property taxes than Hillsborough which is a stone's throw away.
-Better bang for the buck, property-wise.
-Easy access to airport, beaches, city amenities provided that it's not rush hour.
-Lots of newer construction so you don't see a lot of run down ghettos like you do in Hillsborough and Pinellas.
-If you're a prospective home buyer looking to make a long term investment on a property, it may be a good time to look around since homes are appreciating fast (although this could be said about any part of the area).
-Other than a few notorious choke points (like 54/41 intersection), traffic isn't that bad up here although this is changing rapidly. In the 3+ years we've been here, we've seen traffic double along 54.
-Some good shopping nearby (Citrus Park mall, Tampa Premium Outlets, Wiregrass).

Cons:
-The Pros really depend on what part of 34638 you're referring to, IMO. Anything along 41, save for Connerton, is a dump, and Connerton feels like an isolated oasis in the middle of nowhere. Most of 41 in general is a dump. Really hate that part of town.
-Growing way too fast. Farms along 54 are being snapped up and developed seemingly overnight, with little regard for infrastructure. Traffic is going to be a nightmare in 5-10 years. The next "New Tampa" bottleneck.
-Sometimes feels like you're far away from civilization, both distance-wise and politically. It's still very much a working class part of the region and it shows. A few too many conservatives for my liking. Lots of Trump flags were flown in my neighborhood. Poor fools.
-If you work in or near Tampa (or, heaven forbid, MacDill AFB), your commute will make you want to kick a kitten and I pity you. This goes double for snowbird season when traffic backs up on the Vet almost all the way to the 54 on-ramp. Wife travels on 75 which isn't much better, even though she leaves pretty early in the morning. Research commute and traffic trends, and plan accordingly.
-Not much culture up here. Lots of tacky, generic strip malls with the same chains repeated every 5 miles or so.
-Everything is a drive. Can walkability scores be measured in the negatives? Because that's what I'd score Land O Lakes.
-All of your friends and family who live elsewhere will ask you if butter is made here.

Wanna buy a newer 5 bedroom house? We're planning to sell and move back up north some time.
What neighborhood is your house in? Do you have a nice pool?

I can't believe you'd move back to an income taxed state! We went from NY to Austin and financially I would never live in another income taxed state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 07:25 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsp101 View Post

I can't believe you'd move back to an income taxed state! We went from NY to Austin and financially I would never live in another income taxed state.
I so Agree with you...lol

we had to come back North after living in S Florida however we are so happy that we can now live anywhere and stay out NY/NJ for good

Old 02-28-2017, 07:30 AM

It amazes me how many homes 600k and up to 800k don't have hardwood floors or gas appliances! What's with the ELECTRIC cook tops? Don't y'all have gas??

Old 02-28-2017, 08:36 AM

686 posts, read 622,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
My friend is in Oakstead and that is a very desirable development and one of our favorites...We liked Connerton alot however we aren't interested in New Construction or paying those CDD fee's.we did feel like we were in BFE but being born and raised in Brooklyn NY and living in the North, We really do not mind that..We Can't wait to leave the North again and this time for Good...
I hate to break it to ya, but Connerton is far from the only community with CDD fees.

Quote:

I live in Concord Station; one of the newer parts. CS was originally started before the housing market crash. They started building parts of it then flat out stopped for a few years. We bought when they resumed, and snagged a great lot that backs up to a nature preserve. You can tell where the older parts vs. the newer parts by the size of the trees. Our back yard faces Cypress trees and when the sun dips into/below them, it is heavenly. Also cool when the winter fog rolls in. Looks like something out of a painting. I pity most of the neighborhood that has zero privacy.

We decided not to put a pool in because we're planning to leave eventually. No point. We use the community pool. Many of our neighbors are putting them in, though.

Living in an income tax state is the least of my concerns. It'll balance out with a dramatically lower auto insurance payment and lower sales/property taxes, anyway. I literally pay 4x what I paid up north for car insurance, and that is after shopping around for the best deal and switching away from the company I used up north. I also have a squeaky clean record, and my bill goes up 70-80 bucks every 6 months. Car insurance in Florida is a JOKE. An absolute RIPOFF.

Quote:
It amazes me how many homes 600k and up to 800k don't have hardwood floors or gas appliances! What's with the ELECTRIC cook tops? Don't y'all have gas??
Nope. All electric in the new developments.

You'll find tons of houses that cost several hundred thousand less than 600-800k, that DO have hardwoods.

Last edited by a person; 02-28-2017 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-28-2017, 08:43 AM

Also, one more plus is that it's a relatively safe and quiet community overall. Seems like most of the crime in Pasco happens in West Pasco, which I would advise avoiding at all costs. The only real crimes locally I can recall were car break-ins in which thieves targeted unlocked cars only.

Lots of young families here so if you're looking to raise some kids, this is one of the better areas around to do so IMO.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:49 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
oh I know about the CDD's person we went to every new construction that is why we are looking in Trinity as well..however we are looking for 4 bedrooms 3 full baths and lani/inground pool...we thought connerton was a nice development...Our car insurance will be the same in FL as in NJ but all of our other costs will be less...but for us its our happy place

DSP we found quite a few homes at least in our price range that have Gas...they are out there..

Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 AM

Are there any good area's neighborhoods we should look in that are good for walking the dog or riding bikes?

Is it possible to walk or ride bikes to any shops/restaurants/bars??

In Austin we pretty much have to take a highway everywhere. ;(

Old 03-01-2017, 06:46 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,805,690 times
Quote:
Are there any good area's neighborhoods we should look in that are good for walking the dog or riding bikes?

Check out Arbor Woods in Wesley Chapel - low HOA, no CDD, close to I-75 and I-275, natural gas, walking trails within community and since it's close to SR 56, you can access shared path that supposed to be connected to Zephyrhills - nice ride off road which is safe. I think existing trail starts at Bruce B Downs and SR 56 corner which is pretty close to community.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Bexley (just broke ground) and Ballantrae are close to the Suncoast Trail (for that matter, Suncoast Meadows and Concord Station are, too). Plus, I heard Bexley is going to have a ton of walking paths and trails when it's built out.

Suncoast Meadows looks kind of run down to me, though. Plus, a large portion of it was built on a reclaimed landfill and some of the yards have growing issues.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:58 AM

So, DW just got in from St. Pete's last night. Said she loved the area and they stayed at a condo only a few minutes from the beach.

I personally would like "more house for my money" but she mentions part of the beauty to being in FL is proximity to the beach.

Any suggestions? Apollo beach, cape coral, Bradenton, St. Petes, Tampa, Sarasota, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Osprey, Palmetto??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay