U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,762,524 times

Advertisements

I know this has been all over the news, but I really havent paid to much attention, until I saw something on the Internet about orlando's light rail. It seems their light rail proposal is coming along, while Tampa, a substantially larger city with more population density is hitting one road block after another . What is wrong with this picture ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,407,992 times
This was almost a go back in the 90's, but it was scrapped due to other items taking precedent at the time...Tampa Mayor Iorio dusted off the plans a few years ago..TBARTA was formed...here is the latest on Light Rail in Tampa(just yesterday article)...Tampa wants it to be a 'regional' effort, but its diffilcult getting the 'region' to buy in..so right now, Tampa is going forward...

Is light rail finally coming to Tampa? | Tampa | News | News Feature

Old 04-10-2009, 07:12 AM

14,411 posts, read 28,919,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I know this has been all over the news, but I really havent paid to much attention, until I saw something on the Internet about orlando's light rail. It seems their light rail proposal is coming along, while Tampa, a substantially larger city with more population density is hitting one road block after another . What is wrong with this picture ?
You would have to go back a couple years and read everything to know why Orlando is getting this, they are not more "forward" than Tampa, it is tied into CSX freight building a huge new distribution hub in Winter Haven and using some of their tracks for rail - a complicated deal, which is still meeting resistance. There are numerous articles online about it, you can do a google search of CSX Winter Haven, etc.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the article Tampaguy, very informative. I think my biggest frustration was the Hillsborough county commission. When ever Tampa has tried to do something to make itself a bigger, better, more vibrant city, there biggest obstacle has always been the county. Which I find hard to understand. I remember a county commissioner (I think Ronda Storms)saying in the Newspaper a couple of years ago that they want to preserve Hillsborough county's rural carm !?!?!? That pretty much explains why Tampa has not lived up to its potential. The county has treated it as a small town.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:43 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,407,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Thanks for the article Tampaguy, very informative. I think my biggest frustration was the Hillsborough county commission. When ever Tampa has tried to do something to make itself a bigger, better, more vibrant city, there biggest obstacle has always been the county. Which I find hard to understand. I remember a county commissioner (I think Ronda Storms)saying in the Newspaper a couple of years ago that they want to preserve Hillsborough county's rural carm !?!?!? That pretty much explains why Tampa has not lived up to its potential. The county has treated it as a small town.
I cannot speak about what I think about ex-commisioner Rhonda Storms, I would be banned from this Forum(its too vulger)..and yes, that is why thier is discussion around a "county mayor".

Old 04-10-2009, 12:12 PM

425 posts, read 1,043,034 times
I'm curious what the model is here. I assume you'll drive to your local metro station and hop on a train. But then what? Where do you get off? This place is suburban sprawl to the extreme and most places aren't pedestrian friendly. When I drive around Tampa/St. Pete, I don't really see one huge collection of high rises where a person would get off and work. Rather, for miles and miles, I see 1 to 4 story office buildings, scattered basically all over the place.

If the model is that you get off the train and then take another form of transportation, it will fail. By the time you drive to the train, ride to somewhere, get off, get on a bus, ride some more, get off, and still potentially have to walk a half mile.... umm, yeah. People will just sit in traffic.

Also, what is the goal? Is the goal to alleviate traffic on the roads? Or is the goal to provide a benefit to the people who use the rail system? To ease the traffic burden, you're going to have to get A LOT of people out of the cars and riding this thing.

I think if this thing could actually work, then the private sector would be itching to get involved. If tens of thousands of people are going to ride this thing every day, a private company should be itching to build it and start collecting the daily fares, right? Or, at the very least, the taxpayers should be promised a refund on the extra tax they will pay, once the thing is built and windfall profits start rolling in. Otherwise, the thing isn't worth building. We don't need light rail with a bunch of empty cars, just so we can brag that we are a first class city.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:29 PM

13,657 posts, read 17,929,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I cannot speak about what I think about ex-commisioner Rhonda Storms, I would be banned from this Forum(its too vulger)..and yes, that is why thier is discussion around a "county mayor".
I'd love to hear what you think about Storms. Any chance you could clean it up enough to post?

Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM

821 posts, read 2,422,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I'm curious what the model is here. I assume you'll drive to your local metro station and hop on a train. But then what? Where do you get off? This place is suburban sprawl to the extreme and most places aren't pedestrian friendly. When I drive around Tampa/St. Pete, I don't really see one huge collection of high rises where a person would get off and work. Rather, for miles and miles, I see 1 to 4 story office buildings, scattered basically all over the place.

If the model is that you get off the train and then take another form of transportation, it will fail. By the time you drive to the train, ride to somewhere, get off, get on a bus, ride some more, get off, and still potentially have to walk a half mile.... umm, yeah. People will just sit in traffic.

Also, what is the goal? Is the goal to alleviate traffic on the roads? Or is the goal to provide a benefit to the people who use the rail system? To ease the traffic burden, you're going to have to get A LOT of people out of the cars and riding this thing.

I think if this thing could actually work, then the private sector would be itching to get involved. If tens of thousands of people are going to ride this thing every day, a private company should be itching to build it and start collecting the daily fares, right? Or, at the very least, the taxpayers should be promised a refund on the extra tax they will pay, once the thing is built and windfall profits start rolling in. Otherwise, the thing isn't worth building. We don't need light rail with a bunch of empty cars, just so we can brag that we are a first class city.
Amen, brother. Ditto. Light rail worked well in larger cities such as San Fran, and to a lesser degree in Los Angeles (Angelinos love their cars), but I cannot see that in Tampa. First of all, a good portion of commuters to Tampa live as far as Pasco and Hernando, even Pinellas. The sheer logistics of providing rail services to those areas to the point that it would be a convenient factor just doesn't add up, in my opinion. And honestly, the traffic isn't all that bad in the morning here...if you think it is, try commuting to LAX from the valley in rush hour traffic on the 405. Or on the 101 when gawker's block from a stalled car is backed up for an hour in either direction. I have yet to see traffic issues like those out here in Tampa. It's a dream to commute here (with the exception of US19 in Pasco, that is!)

Old 04-10-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post

This isnt about building something to make Tampa look good. You say we dont need it because we are to spread out. Well doing nothing isnt helping prevent urban sprawl. And yes the goal is to get people off the roads. If you have driven around Downtown Tampa or along major roadways in the area, you can see there is a problem. But I assume you havent saying you've not seen "a huge collection of high rises", If you drive to where I-4 and I-275 meet, look south, Its hard to miss . I see this working in Tampa. Maybe not for you, but I well definetly use this whenever I have chance. And Im sure Im not alone.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Ronda Storms . Thats all I can say about her. Hopefully the article Tampaguy gave us is right. Hopefully we are seenig a new maturity in Tampa Bay politics, and less closemindedness
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or