U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 PM

3 posts, read 10,583 times

Advertisements

Wasn't Farrell's an old timey ice cream joint? Red and white motif? With a great big giant 20 or 30 scoop sundae that kids got for birthday parties? And penny candy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Wasn't it called White Sands Beach? I seem to recall doing my Girl Scout swim testing there when I went to Carrollwood Elementary in the 70's. I think I may have also gotten my first kiss in the water there.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Default 1973-77 Memories

Wow. Reading through here has been a blast. A few recaps from the board plus some more of my own. Please correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

Mullet Inn - I've not had smoked mullet since and now I'm hungry!

Mama Mia's - on Dale Mabry, made like a little Italian marketplace on the inside

Some kind of Tiki bar place on Dale Mabry, perhaps connected to a Holiday Inn? Frosty drinks in tiki cups

Lum's - great big beers and even bigger hot dogs

Roy Haines girls softball league

B&R Ranch - it's still there but way more PC now. We used to have a blast. They taught me to ride a baby brahma bull and we got to watch a cow be killed and skinned. Cowboy & Indian wars

Championship Wrestling from Florida at the Fort Hesterly Armory - watched it every week!

Dr Paul Bearer & Creature Feature

The Channel 44 signal (turn hands up each with four fingers)

The Swiss Inn (?) at Busch Gardens. Heck. Busch Gardens when the only rides were the flume, train, and monorail and it was still more of a zoo. Amazing!

Sorry I don't reply well, can't figure out how to do that thing that references the original post.

Every sixth grader went to Lockhart. All of them. They bused us from all over! And there was some kind of gifted program thing that was in a big brick building downtown. Much fun!

Nature's Classroom. Still there I saw online.

Sorry I don't reply well, can't figure out how to do that thing that references the original post.

Old 12-23-2010, 06:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,395 times
am looking for any old pictures of Gay Blades roller rink. Mr. Gould was my mothers first husband. Does anyone have any?

Old 12-26-2010, 12:27 PM

34,239 posts, read 41,261,292 times
Probably more St Pete than Tampa but
Web City
Central Plaza (34st' and Central)
The old Skyway and being able to just pull off to the side of the causeway and go fishing.
Terra Verde before the built all the houses= some people have some of the best fishing spots in their back yards and probably dont even know it..
Skips bar on Madeira beach.
Gulf Blvd where you could cruise down the beaches and actually see the gulf and stop at beach areas that are now replaced with expensive concrete bunkers.
Pass a grill before they erected the ugly seawall and parking meters .

Old 12-26-2010, 04:51 PM

906 posts, read 2,080,166 times
Default Seminole and Surroundings

Seminole area,
The reservoir, now part of Walsingham Park. It was the favorite place for teens to make out and during the day you could ride your horse or ATC( 3 wheeler)/dirt bike and never bother anyone.

Vonn Rd in the 70s and early 80s had large houses on big lots, now they all have been subdivided many times over. Also many of the streets branching off of Vonn Rd were dirt.

The Triangle at Bay Pines, Seminole Blvd, and Maderia Beach Causeway.

Seminole Mall had tenants and was busy.

No Pinellas trail, it was a working train track.

Split sessions at Seminole High.

JJ's Auto Sales @ East Bay and Missouri, they had some cool cars.

Indian Rocks long pier.

Trader Franks Tiki Gardens,

Charlie and Millie's Pizza on Seminole Blvd, wait it is the only thing that hasn't changed

Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,430,378 times
Fast Eddies in Tarpon - "Warm beer & Lousy Food". They had great fried ice cream. I have heard there is a Fast Eddie's in St Pete, but it is nothing like Tarpon was.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
Gay Blades Roller Rink in St. Pete and Gay Way Roller Rink in Clearwater.
Edward White Hospital is now where Gay Blades used to be on 9th Ave. No., and a Salvation Army store is in the old Gay Way on Missouri Ave.

Neither had air conditioning. Gay Blades always played traditional skating music, except for one pop song, "Build Me Up, Buttercup". Wow, really radical!
Does any body have any pictures on gay blades skating rick please let me know bjf4425@gmail.com

Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 5,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterK View Post
Gay Blades Roller Rink in St. Pete and Gay Way Roller Rink in Clearwater.
Edward White Hospital is now where Gay Blades used to be on 9th Ave. No., and a Salvation Army store is in the old Gay Way on Missouri Ave.

Neither had air conditioning. Gay Blades always played traditional skating music, except for one pop song, "Build Me Up, Buttercup". Wow, really radical!
My Great Grandfather "Robert Gould" owned Gay Blades I miss him terribly and I can still smell the rink, If I could relive on day, it would be at the rink with my grampa ! I believe the rink was closed in 1978 or 1979. What a dark day for me

Old 08-08-2011, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,955 times
Default Gay Blades Roller Rink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dassies View Post
Does any body have any pictures on gay blades skating rick please let me know bjf4425@gmail.com
I grew up there and my grandfather owned it, but I am not sure I could find a picture of it. I may have pics inside of people but not of the bldg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or