U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM

4 posts, read 15,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Used to go to the old Twin Bays movie theater behind Britton Plaza (where Lowes now stands) As a kid, also used to frequent a theater on Westshore where the Marriott is now located but I can't recall the name
Austin Cinemas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Sanchez Lounge on Henderson
I spent a lot of time in Sanchez Lounge. A Google search for "Sanchez Lounge Tampa" is what brought me here! And Malio's? And the Press Box across Dale Mabry from Malio's?
Of course I was just a kid...

When I was actually a kid, my father's favorite place for seafood was Mullet Inn. "The fish you eat today slept last night in Tampa Bay"

Old 05-17-2009, 07:49 AM

13,773 posts, read 32,689,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plant80 View Post
I spent a lot of time in Sanchez Lounge. A Google search for "Sanchez Lounge Tampa" is what brought me here! And Malio's? And the Press Box across Dale Mabry from Malio's?
Of course I was just a kid...

When I was actually a kid, my father's favorite place for seafood was Mullet Inn. "The fish you eat today slept last night in Tampa Bay"

I remember when I first moved to Tpa, if you asked someone for a good seafood restaurant in Tampa they would recommend the Mullet Inn. Smoked Mullet was their claim to fame.

Of course Malio's where you had to be a member to go to their club. Was the Sanchez Lounge near Dale Mabry and Henderson? We use to go to a lounge that was on the opposite side of the street but was close to the area where Outback is now located.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:14 PM

2,602 posts, read 6,901,067 times
We always went to Storch and Son (Storch's) for seafood. It was at the Henderson/Lois/San Rafael intersection across from Castellano's.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Was the Sanchez Lounge near Dale Mabry and Henderson? We use to go to a lounge that was on the opposite side of the street but was close to the area where Outback is now located.
Going West from Dale Mabry on Henderson, Sanchez Lounge was on the left.

And yes, Malio's was a club. I wasn't a member, I was an employee. An incredible place for a shy high school kid to get an education in real life.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM

20 posts, read 39,581 times
Default old

The beach at the end of Cypress St before it was an actual 'park' and restoration area (which cracks me up, they totally re-arranged the naturally occurring area and call it 'restored') where you could take dogs and beer and whatever else entertained you, and watch the planes take off or land...

Old 05-20-2009, 08:35 PM

97 posts, read 216,298 times
Default Where was the SuperTest Amusement Park?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The old SuperTest amusement park, Biff-Burger, Twentieth Century Drive-In, Falor's hamburgers (this is all real old stuff...
I remember going to the SuperTest Amusement Park as a child. My family moved away from Tampa before I was old enough to drive, so I don't remember where it was. Can someone tell me the location and what is there now, please. I'll be in Tampa next month and would like to drive by.

There used to be a great public swimming area on Lake Carol. No alligators back then.

Thanks

Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 PM

14,528 posts, read 29,244,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingz View Post
I remember going to the SuperTest Amusement Park as a child. My family moved away from Tampa before I was old enough to drive, so I don't remember where it was. Can someone tell me the location and what is there now, please. I'll be in Tampa next month and would like to drive by.

There used to be a great public swimming area on Lake Carol. No alligators back then.

Thanks
I am fairly certain it was on the southwest corner of Dale Mabry and Columbus Drive. Not sure what is there now.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:52 PM

13,773 posts, read 32,689,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am fairly certain it was on the southwest corner of Dale Mabry and Columbus Drive. Not sure what is there now.
You are right gypychic... It is now a Car dealership.

I found this online and thought some of you natives might get a kick out of it. I remember some of those places.. Was Bruce Morehead a TV personality back in the 70s

“What kinda ‘Plant’ are you

Old 05-21-2009, 04:21 PM

14,528 posts, read 29,244,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
You are right gypychic... It is now a Car dealership.

I found this online and thought some of you natives might get a kick out of it. I remember some of those places.. Was Bruce Morehead a TV personality back in the 70s

“What kinda ‘Plant’ are you
Aww, that was a nice link, Keeper - brought back some memories.

If anyone is really interested in more Tampa nostalgia, I just bought a terrific new book called "Vintage Tampa Signs and Scenes" by John V. Cinchett. This guy's dad had a neon sign business and made fabulous signs for most of the major businesses in Tampa, and for awhile this guy worked with him. His mom would take a picture after each one was up. I just got it yesterday (you can order online like from Amazon, etc.) and I literally burst into tears. It brought back soooo many memories of places I had forgotten, and OMG, Tampa was THE most fabulous place then. Honestly, if I could go back in time, but be the age I am now, I would love to be living there. It's a crime the sorry changes that have been made to destroy the area. Not everything, but a lot. Anyway, it is a fantastic read, great pictures, great trip down memory lane, I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or