Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 14,367 times

Advertisements

I just received a job offer in Omaha, NE, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion or knowledge on its comparison to Tampa, FL? We just moved to Tampa this September and we love it for the most part....nice weather, beaches, amusement parks, no state income tax, etc. However, it does have its downfalls: high insurance, long commutes/traffic, tolls, and higher cost of living. My husband and I are both from Kansas City originally and our family is still there. We are wanting to start trying for a baby soon and are thinking that it would be nice to be closer to family. I have only been to Omaha as a child and my husband has never been. Any suggestions, insight, or personal experiences would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 02:07 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Seeing as how I left Omaha for the Tampa area (not voluntarily, mind you) I think I'm pretty qualified to comment on this issue.

Omaha and Tampa are pretty comparable cities. They are both fairly compact, have solid entertainment options and nightlife and good city government/services.

Pros for Omaha:

- Larger population
- Cost of living is around 30%-40% less than Tampa.
- World-class zoo, College World Series...etc.
- Rapidly improving downtown area.
- Friendly people for the most part.
- Supports local businesses.
- Strong sense of community.
- Better job opportunities
- Great schools

Cons for Omaha:

- Lack of amusement parks.
- Snow
- Tornadoes
- Not much in the way of watersports

Pros for Tampa:

- Very scenic with the water and beaches.
- Downtown area is pretty well established.
- Awesome nightlife with Ybor City, Channelside, downtown. Baywalk in St. Pete is close by.
- Lots of outdoor activities.
- Professional sports.

Cons for Tampa:

- Traffic. Enough said.
- Labor laws. Employers can pretty much do whatever the hell they want to you. Employees have very little protection.
- Job Market. The recession has hit Tampa pretty hard and jobs are harder to come by.
- Cost of living is pretty high.
- Schools. With a few exceptions, to say they suck here would be rather kind.
- Hurricanes.

Tie:

-
Lots to keep you busy in both cities.
- Crime is pretty comparable across the board and average for cities their size.
- Both cities are more family focused. Tampa is not a tourist town like Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.
- Both cities are relatively handicapped by the surrounding, more conservative governments. The Nebraska state government and the Hillsborough County Commission keep Omaha and Tampa, respectively, from reaching their full potential.
- Strong military presence. Omaha has Offutt AFB and Tampa has MacDill AFB. Both are very key installations for our military.

Again, overall both cities are pretty much alike and great places to live. The deciding factor for you will be the weather I presume. You won't get the year round beautiful weather and you'll have to deal with snow. Also, you'll lose some nightlife going to Omaha. Omaha does have plenty of nightlife itself, but Tampa's is certainly better. If you can tolerate the weather and nightlife change, I feel you can transition to Omaha with great ease.

Now I'm sure you're wondering about my story. I was born in Omaha back in 86 and lived there until 96 when we moved across the river into Council Bluffs. My parents were both scuba divers and wanted to move to Florida for years. They only stayed because I was born and they didn't want to move me from my grandparents. By the time 2002 came around all but one of my grandparents were deceased and my dad's health was getting bad, so we finally moved down to Belleair Bluffs over here in Pinellas County. Since then we bounced around to Largo and now Clearwater.

I'm moving back to Omaha ASAP, which will hopefully be next year. My dad passed away in June of 2006 and after that I decided to become a police officer. After 2 years of having no luck finding a job with a department here, I found myself getting increasingly home sick and my younger brother getting ready to graduate, so I'm not needed as much at home for stability...and that's when I decided to head back to Omaha, provided I get hired with Omaha Police.

Now, I really love Tampa. It's an awesome city. But I absolutely H-A-T-E the rest of this area, especially Pinellas County (minus some of St. Pete). It's all a sprawling, suburban wasteland here and that drives me nuts. Pinellas County Schools are bottom of the barrel. Honestly, had we moved to Tampa I probably would have been fine, but that's not how it happened.

Also, Florida is a horrible state for anyone wanting to be a police officer unless you have military experience. In this area, you have to spend several thousand dollars to put yourself through the police academy and THEN try to find someone to hire you. Most places will turn you away unless you have military, college, or previous experience. Tampa PD is a top notch agency, but their pay is very high and they offer great benefits so everyone in Florida wants to work for them. The competition is fierce and I just don't stand a chance at this point in my life.

Omaha PD is also a top notch agency, but being in the midwest the competition is not nearly as fierce, plus I would be trained by the department, earning a salary throughout the academy.

So that's my take on the two cities and a little backstory so you can understand why I'm choosing Omaha over Tampa now. If you need anything, feel free to get in touch with me.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:48 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,746,949 times
Now Ive never been the Omaha, but I imagine living in a square state in the midwest to be a bit depressing. While Florida seems a bit like paradise even with all its flaws. Just my opinion.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Also, Florida is a horrible state for anyone wanting to be a police officer unless you have military experience. In this area, you have to spend several thousand dollars to put yourself through the police academy and THEN try to find someone to hire you. Most places will turn you away unless you have military, college, or previous experience. Tampa PD is a top notch agency, but their pay is very high and they offer great benefits so everyone in Florida wants to work for them. The competition is fierce and I just don't stand a chance at this point in my life.
Im about to join the police academy here in Tampa. I heard from and instructor that Tampa PD only hires minorities. And Florida is the second hardest state the become a police officer behind CA. Im aiming for Hillsborough County sheriff office. I heard its harder than TPD.

Last edited by TB Fla; 04-16-2009 at 07:44 PM..

Old 04-16-2009, 07:36 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Now Ive never been the Omaha, but I imagine living in a square state in the midwest to be a bit depressing. While Florida seems a bit like paradise even with all its flaws. Just my opinion.
Some people like it, some don't. Personally I like being able to live in a city like Omaha and have some rural area close by. Not having the beaches and water sucks though.

Quote:
Im about to join the police academy here in Tampa. I heard from and instructor that Tampa PD only hires manorities. And Florida is the second hardest state the become a police officer behind CA. Im aiming for Hillsborough County sheriff office. I heard its harder than TPD.
Yeah, Florida is a tough state to get hired in. TPD has been hiring alot of minorities, but they've taken on plenty of normal white guys too. Before the economy really tanked, you had to have military or college to get hired there but now you can pretty much forget it unless you have prior police experience.

HCSO is a pretty good agency too and they will put you through the academy. I'd say it's a little easier to get hired there than at TPD. Lots of people go to HCSO for a few years then go to TPD.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:43 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
It's not for all people thats for sure. But, tons of people love it hear. Me personally, I would prefer Tampa if the economy was a bit more stable. Someday, I will probably choose to live somewhere in the South. Florida or San Diego, I would presume.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
It's not for all people thats for sure. But, tons of people love it hear. Me personally, I would prefer Tampa if the economy was a bit more stable. Someday, I will probably choose to live somewhere in the South. Florida or San Diego, I would presume.
I can't imagine living anywhere thats so far away from the ocean

Old 04-17-2009, 02:13 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,320 times
Omaha is a city I heard good things about for sure and I would say both Omaha and Tampa are similar from what it looks especially the downtowns.
I keep hearing how the middle country places have better economies like Ok City and Omaha? Kinda weird how that works but then again, not many move out there either so, might leave more jobs available.
I like Tampa but its not as good as Portland OR or Boston.
Tampa and St Pete are good cities but the outskirts suck for sure like all of Manatee Cty, some towns in Hillsborough and what not. I hate the urban sprawl and planned communities and Im moving back to MA later next month and cant wait. Tampa also seems like a hopeless economy as well as St Pete.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:34 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
Omaha is a city I heard good things about for sure and I would say both Omaha and Tampa are similar from what it looks especially the downtowns.
I keep hearing how the middle country places have better economies like Ok City and Omaha? Kinda weird how that works but then again, not many move out there either so, might leave more jobs available.
Omaha has done well because of conservative economics and diversity of sectors. Omaha is always growing, just steadily. There are no "boom" times like Tampa has previously experienced. In contrast, there are also no bust times, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay