Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 AM

84 posts, read 171,563 times

Advertisements

Check out this story about noise ordinance in Tampa.

Specifically the details on a second noise offense.

This is a tough one. An issue where there are ordinances, but typically the enforcement is difficult, not to mention animosity it can create between neighbors.

There are a number of options on how to address the problem, just have to figure which one or ones will work for you.

1: Just how loud is this music? You might be able to get by with a white noise source to drown out the sound. Something like a fan could do the trick. If it's really loud, meaning it's like you have a radio playing in your house then I'd suggest purchasing a db meter from radio shack and taking a reading of loudness outside of your house. This would tie into #2.

2: Get the details on the noise ordinance laws for your area. There's probably a law governing what is determined to be "loud" or breaking the law. Find out the particulars and take measurements of the loudness for yourself. This is where the db meter comes into play. Once you've established the music is legally loud, I'd e-mail the police station via their official website and provide details of the noise compliant. (You might also share your findings with your neighbor, who knows maybe he'd be willing to adjust the volume down to the legal limit.)

Indicate how loud in db, how often, and indicate you've approached the home owner and have politely asked them to turn down the music.
I'd also ask them for suggestions on what you can do to address this problem, you could also consider copying your landlord. If they don't respond, follow up with a call and a second e-mail, . Having a paper trail should help document the problem.

If the police are unwilling to or effectively can't help. Try to get them to provide this response in the form of an e-mail to your original e-mail. I'd forward the e-mail with their response to the Mayors office, maybe the district attorney.

If the music is really crazy loud, you might even consider contacting the news if contacting the police and local government doesn't work. I'm sure if you show them documentation related to the governments inability to enforce the law they'd be happy to do a story on your situation.

3: Go to the other affected neighbors. This would be helpful to learn how they feel about the loud music, and they can also provide you with info. on the neighborhood situation. If you're the only one with an issue, it's going to be harder to deal with this problem. If there are a number of you it will help the cause. I'd e-mail copy the neighbors that are on your side...Similar to a petition.

4: Move away. If it's really ridiculous and no one supports you, law, neighbors ect... You might need to move. I'd go as far as using the loud music as a reason to break the rental contract.

Mike

Last edited by panamamike; 07-28-2011 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
Here is the law for Tampa.

a. 60 dBA or 65 dBC between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.

b. 55 dBA or 65 dBC between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m.

60 dBa = Noisy lawn mower at 10 m (30ft) distance

55 dBa =
Low volume of radio or TV at 1 m (3ft) distance, noisy vacuum cleaner at
10 m (30ft) distance.

This is good to know! I can be as loud as vacuum cleaner after 10pm and my neighbors can't complain!

Looks to me like people can be much louder at night than others think and be within the law.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM

451 posts, read 933,314 times
Reminds me of a story. A few people have suggested the "you want a sound fight? you got a sound fight!" scenario with ABBA, for example. While you might be inviting a bit of trouble in this scenario, either from the law or the neighbor, it can be effective. I did this once and got the silence I had asked for, although my sonic weaponry was above consumer-grade...

When living in Chicago, a "neighbor" was holding a weekend "yard" sale. By "neighbor" I mean a group of three transitioning transsexuals living across the street, and by "yard" I mean the small patch of grass in front of their midrise apartment building. I'm not bringing up gender politics here to knock them, but because it is important to describe the nature of their yard sale. They were selling used big-and-tall dresses and lingerie that would have fit a woman if she were clearly over six-feet-tall. All the while, they were BLASTING show tunes at top volume from a pair of speakers pointed upward, directly at my apartment in the building across the street. To make it even better, they would occasionally supplement the show tunes with solo parts played on the organ they carried down from their apartment and placed on the sidewalk. They sat outside all day and night, drinking cocktails and joining the tune with off-key accompaniment. It was a scene of magnificent strangeness.

I approached the proprietors of said yard sale and asked if they would 1) turn down the music they started blasting at 8:00a.m. and ended at 10.m., and 2) if they would move the speakers so they weren't pointed directly at my apartment. "It's a free country, honey, your best bet is to just sing along," went the response.

Momentarily defeated, I returned to my apartment before leaving for the day. I was out late that Friday night, hoping for peaceful sleep the next day. The following morning, 8:00 a.m. on a Saturday, the top volume show tunes returned from the group across the street. This was war.

At the time, I operated a full-service recording studio from two converted rooms in my apartment, centered around a pair of expensive, professional-strength studio monitor speakers. These things were big, and they were loud. I opened my windows, moved the speakers out onto the ledge and aimed them at the group. I turned the volume knob on my amp toward the peak, and played the most sonically painful music I could find... namely a song called Chin Hippy by the British artist Squarepusher.

I walked across the street to talk to the yard sale group, my music still blasting above, hopelessly drowning theirs out of existence. It was horrifying. I pointed to my apartment, and explained "either you turn your music down, or I will own you all day long," then I turned and walked away. Before I even crossed the street, West Side Story or Hair or Whatever had been turned down to a whisper. I felt like the guy walking away from an explosion at the end of an action movie, sunglasses on, slight smirk on his face, bruised, bloodied and victorious.

Sound wars can be won if you've got the right tools and the willingness to use them. However, beware that you yourself may fracture the legality you originally called the police for, and second-- beware that your neighbor could escalate the hostilities. But if you're going to do it, do it right... and do it loud.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:31 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinktank View Post
I turned the volume knob on my amp toward the peak, and played the most sonically painful music I could find... namely a song called Chin Hippy by the British artist Squarepusher.
Had to look this song up on Rhapsody and listen to it. Yes, indeed, this song is painful.... sounds more like someone banging on various pots and bans with a gnome running around the kitchen making noises once in awhile. I can't blame your neighbors for turning down their music. lol

Great story!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,010,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
The next time you guys leave for the weekend...crank up ABBA's greatest hits and put it on repeat. He will have Dancing Queen stuck in his head for months!
This is the best idea I've ever read. Ever.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 PM

30,393 posts, read 21,210,559 times
Just play some loud music that you think he would hate and let him have it.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 AM

31 posts, read 83,014 times
Steal his stereo and put it on ebay!!!
My friend had his stereo in Florida stolen and it didn't even work.
If he has no regard for you, you should have no regard for him.
I saw 5 to 10 people pulled over on the I-75 and I-85 connector in Atlanta all with Florida tags seems like they have not the slightest clue how to behave down their.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,621 times
Default consider this

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Keep calling the police on him. Thats disturbing the peace, and is considered either a misdemeanor or infraction and he can get fined for it. The reason he stopped playing his music before is probably because they told him to stop or they would fine him, so he did. until they left. If you keep calling the police on him, the cops will get annoyed and make sure they dont have to keep going out there. Disturbing the peace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You could go over & talk again when the problem reoccurs. Then... either mention the police & maybe it'll improve.

Or act like it's going to drive you over the edge. Don't mention the police. The music will probably go up a notch just because of a... jerk attitude. THEN call the police. And mention to the police that you thought it was going to improve since the last time they called but it hasn't & it's driving you nuts. Go ahead & exaggerate while you're at it!

I have some wind chimes... really huge, actually, made from recycled cymbals. Noisy as hell. I can sell them to you. If you wish. I ... think.... chimes trump the noise restrictions. Chimes can chime aaaaaallll night long : )

Just my two cents : )

Old 07-29-2011, 07:02 AM

84 posts, read 171,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
This is the best idea I've ever read. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbest74 View Post
The next time you guys leave for the weekend...crank up ABBA's greatest hits and put it on repeat. He will have Dancing Queen stuck in his head for months!
That "feels" like a good resolution, but I doubt it would be an effective one. Escalating the problem can get real ugly, if you don't know who you're dealing with you don't know what they might be capable of doing.

Besides, like it or not they are your neighbor. Based on the article I read, it looks like a second noise complaint offense can get you a significant fine. I'd look at going that angle.

Actually, I'd first try and get to know the other neighbors and see what they think. If everyone in the area is like minded and love to blare music ect... Might just need to move.

Mike

Old 07-29-2011, 07:45 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Why all these responses to a 2 year old thread? Although I sure did get a kick out of "thethinktank's" story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay