U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 PM

16,992 posts, read 20,601,942 times

Advertisements

Anyone else fed up with the number of teen drivers here who are constantly in the news for deadly crashes.

Last week the one in Seminole killed 4 of the 5 teens in a car that was traveling at a high rate of speed and hit a tree.

Don't these parents worry about being sued? Your minor child injures or kills someone and you are liable.

Yet it is a common news story here. FL needs to raise the driving age and limit the number of passengers a teen can have in a car.

The Seminole crash was a perfect example, 5 teenage boys in car late on a Friday night and look what happened. Only one was wearing a seatbelt.

Where are the parents? We raised our kids that problems that you cause due to reckless driving we are responsible for. But then again we didn't let a 16 yr old drive with four friends to all hour of the night either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 01:48 AM

13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
People have been doing stupid stuff in cars since there have been cars. It's just a fact of life.

It sucks, but it's never going to change.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:56 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,114,119 times
Teens think they're immortal. We all did. Luckily some of us survived our youth. Unfortunately some teens have parents who don't keep up with their whereabouts, and don't instill a sense of safety in them. I was lucky that my father was in the traffic safety business, and he tell me about car and motorcycle mishaps/accidents that he's have to investigate. Scared the pants off of me at times. Also many from my generation (baby boomers) were exposed to these graffic films in high school of nasty car wrecks (I think Scared Straight was the title of the driver's ed film). I still remember those thirty-something years later.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:06 AM

25,807 posts, read 39,015,790 times
I was surprised that my ins. company gave insentives for teen drivers with good grades in school, but I understand why. They are mostly (not all the time..) more careful and have more understanding about their responsibility.

We waited one year longer before we allowed the learners permit which pushed the date to obtain the license back to later.

The State has certain restrictions for young drivers but many parents don't even look at their kids and IMO this issue will only become bigger.

If we see kids in neighborhoods who are sometimes terrorizing the neighborhoods by their vandalism only because their parents leave them outside and are not interested in them at all. Others need to have people watch their community pool to avoid things getting broken, calls to the police have been over and over and the police doesn't have enough people to get out there...only because parents don't watch their kids and the many teen killings is just as much a result of it.

We are left with the sad images and see parents cry and being sad...while I often wonder...how many times were they in a car with the others and how many times have they endangered other peoples life while these parents didn't give a damn at all!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 AM

58 posts, read 176,790 times
im fed up with drivers in the area period.

does anyone else know they made turn signals for a reason? i almost got into 3 accidents last week cause a holes either cut me off or decided on a road where the speed limit is 40-50 to make a turn and not use a turn signal.

if no one else is on the road, so be it. every time i get on the road around here i fear my life. people are just plain stupid.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,037,896 times
The laws have changed. My daughter is 13. She will be disappointed to learn that those who were born after 1994 (not sure of the date), will have to wait to get there learners permit until 16. They can then get there drivers license at 17. This will help a little.

I leave my house to pick up my kids at the same time that the high schoolers get out. They are so obnoxious. Not only weaving in and out of traffic, but hanging out of windows to give their friends the finger or yell at them. They also try to get other drivers attention, to do rude things. I have had them blow those noise horns you hear at games, in my ear.

Would you think the police would know when they get out and wait for them down the road? There isn't a police officer in sight at that time.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:08 AM

16,992 posts, read 20,601,942 times
We didn't have cell phones and texting when I learned to drive. Teens today are distracted with too many devices, and many parents don't parent.

We have been in FL a little less than two years and have lived all over the country, I have never seen the amount of deadly crashes that occur here on a weekly basis anywhere else. Most of the time they are not wearing seatbelts.

Who gets in a car and doesn't put on seatbelt? You shouldn't even have to think about it.

And with this most recent crash all you ever see on the news in teary eyed teens and roadside memorials(which are distracting) on the road.

They are all in shock! What is so shocking about 5 teens driving reckless late on a Friday night and getting into a crash?

Most states don't allow teens to drive till 11pm and have unlimited number of passengers in a car like FL does.

It is amazing how backwards FL is, you watch the news and you never hear anyone questioning why this keeps happening or how with raising the age and limiting the hours teens can drive sould lower the death rate.

They just repeat the same story how tragic( and yes a young person losing their life is tragic) but they never address the issue or discuss raising the age.

Annaegel, I am glad they are doing something, but it still isn't enough.

FL could learn from NJ, they raised their age to 17 for a permit and no other teens in the car, they now have the lowest rate of teen deaths in the country.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:49 AM

540 posts, read 1,201,699 times
The needless waste of life is insane

I never let my kids ride in cars with other teens, nor did I let other kids ride with my kids.

I used gory descriptions of accident victims I cared for and anything else I could think of to scare the bejeezus out of them.

It worked very, very well

Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 PM

13,908 posts, read 19,083,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
We didn't have cell phones and texting when I learned to drive. Teens today are distracted with too many devices, and many parents don't parent.

We have been in FL a little less than two years and have lived all over the country, I have never seen the amount of deadly crashes that occur here on a weekly basis anywhere else. Most of the time they are not wearing seatbelts.

Who gets in a car and doesn't put on seatbelt? You shouldn't even have to think about it.

And with this most recent crash all you ever see on the news in teary eyed teens and roadside memorials(which are distracting) on the road.

They are all in shock! What is so shocking about 5 teens driving reckless late on a Friday night and getting into a crash?

Most states don't allow teens to drive till 11pm and have unlimited number of passengers in a car like FL does.

It is amazing how backwards FL is, you watch the news and you never hear anyone questioning why this keeps happening or how with raising the age and limiting the hours teens can drive sould lower the death rate.

They just repeat the same story how tragic( and yes a young person losing their life is tragic) but they never address the issue or discuss raising the age.

Annaegel, I am glad they are doing something, but it still isn't enough.

FL could learn from NJ, they raised their age to 17 for a permit and no other teens in the car, they now have the lowest rate of teen deaths in the country.
Actually, Florida was one of the pioneering states for the graduated drivers license system.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:33 PM

1,402 posts, read 2,498,183 times
I have just got back from the funeral of Joey (driver killed with seat belt on ) and nathanial - thrown from car. Speaking there was Corey (thrown from car and not wearing belt but survived). Thursday I attended Keith's and tomorrow we go to LeShawns.
There was only one teen driving here not five, he was sadly rushing home - he was a little past the legal curfew, minutes. These were not crazy kids, there was no alcohol involved or drugs.
The driver who clipped their car pulled out wide to turn in the opposite direction. He (an adult) did not use his blinker. My daughter recently was hit by a car from behind for doing the same maneuovre but she was using her blinker. The sun was low and the driver behind did not see it.
I'm not saying it would not have happened, but maybe it would not have had the blinker been visible. This was not the middle of the night, it was 11.15. The teary teens are working through their grief the best way they can, if this means memorials, then let them be to grieve.
Until the law is changed, they are not doing wrong, yes no seatbelts - but I see this every day with adults. Yes, cell phones in cars - but it's not illegal, until it is why expect them to be any different to adults who do it? I see adults driving daily with dogs on their laps, I've even seen babies on laps for goodness sakes. Today on the way home I saw four little kids in the back of an open pick up - it was driven by an adult. Teach your children well is a good standy. The parents of these boys, good folks, they were always in touch with the boys, they had open house for my son and any friend of their sons. These were not absent parents. It makes me a little sad that 'sue' is the first thought on folks' minds. Why not pause for a moment. Dont be so cynical about our young people.
As for the constant news story, they were not invited today, but they were there.
I hope that the law is changed, I hope that children stop thinking they are invincible, I wish that we didn't have a need for our kids to drive, but we live in a different world and they are allowed to drive and they do have cars because we have dreadful public transportation and we live in fear of our children walking streets. But right now, we can only hope our own children make it safely to adult years and we don't have to bury them like these very sad, and distraught families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay