U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 5,931 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a veterinarian who will do a acl surgery repair on a 75 lb. boxer for a lower cost. The way the economy is right now we can't afford a large amount of money. My husband is laid off right now and money is very tight. We love our dog and we'd like to see him comfortable. I am getting quotes anywhere from 1300.00 to 3500.00. I called U. of Fl. in Gainesville, I thought a teaching hospital would be the least expensive and they were one of the highest quotes. Can somebody help me out here. Our regular vet just sold out to one of those big companies and their prices almost doubled. Would appreciate any info. Thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 10:13 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,680,958 times
Sorry to hear about your dog. My dog had surgery with Dr. Callum Hay at 7512 Paula Dr. (off of Hillsborough, not too far from the airport). His phone is 901-5100. My dog had the same surgery last year. He charged us around $2,800. Then there is the cost of coming back once a week for bandage change at a fee of $20 per change for 4 weeks. You need a vet recommendation to get an appointment. All Dr. Hay does is leg surgery. While waiting in his waiting area, people talked about how much cheaper his price is compared to the big animal hospital. Someone quoted a price double Dr. Hay's price. The staff was wonderful. You could call any time, day or night to check on your baby.

He does a lot of probono work for shelters. Maybe he can cut you a break.

I know it is tough during these bad economic times. My husband just got layed off 2 months ago and cannot find anything out there.

FYI: if you dog needs surgery on one leg, the other leg often has to be done at a later point. After my dog had her right leg done, her left leg starting giving her trouble several months later. Luckily, we avoided surgery. Dr. Hay recommended she not play with other dogs or that we rough play with her. It is the sideways motion that is problematic for some dogs like ours. Her left knee is fine now. I find Dr. Hay's is not so quick to do surgery. We did a wait and see for my doggies left leg. So far, so good. I just cannot let her play too wild with us, or play with other dogs.

There is a cheaper alternative to what we ended up doing. The cost was a $1,000 cheaper, but the recovery is longer. At the time, my husband was working, so we were willing to pay the extra money. We choose to have a pin placed in rather than the cheaper alternative. Dr. Hay said in his experience both worked fine. Longer term, they don't know if one is better than the other.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,798 times
My beagle recently had surgery with Dr. Callum Hay for his torn ACL at 7512 Paula Dr. (off of Hillsborough, not too far from the airport). His phone is 901-5100. He charged me $1,450 and did a ton of free rehabilitation because my beagle is stubborn and wouldn't forget that his leg was hurt before the surgery. This was the cheaper surgery with the fishing line technique. BIG dogs cannot get this technique as the line will break and not stabilize the joint. Dr. Callum's price was much cheaper compared to the big animal hospital. The staff was wonderful. You could call any time, day or night to check on your baby. I even dropped him off many times before they opened (so I could not msis time from work) and picked him up at closing.

Read more: [url]http://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa-bay/624449-need-low-cost-acl-surgery-my.html#ixzz0i0ho9dJU[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay