Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 01:53 PM

7 posts, read 50,535 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if someone out there has the answer......What do I plan for my son 16th birthday? If you have a teenager, you'll understand why I'm asking everyone else lol. I ask him and he's so easy going and says "we can just go to dinner or something". I want it to be a nice memory for him to go out and celebrate with friends and family. What would be fun for a teenager that enjoys doing things outdoors, likes crowds, music, food, etc. Please help His birthday is May 16th.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 PM

428 posts, read 1,237,685 times
How many people do you want to invite? And, what would be the breakdown... how many teenagers, how many parents (if any!?!)

Also when you say outdoors, do you mean soccer and cycling, or hunting and fishing, or just going to the beach, etc?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 PM

371 posts, read 1,185,757 times
My daughter has been going through the '16' parties for the past few years. Here are what some of her friends have done (do keep in mind that we are still in Virginia, but these ideas can probably be done in Tampa also):
*Lazer tag party.
*Pool Party at a hotel. Rented a two room suite with full kitchen and living area. 8 kids were allowed plus the bday kids parents. Pool party with lots of games in teh pool, pizza and cake, movies and games in the room, more swimming, hot breakfast in the morning since it was included with room rate. More swimming then the families picked the kids up.
* Video gamer bus. A big bus equiped with video gamer equipment comes to your house (or selected location) and all the kids have several hours to play the games. They are all connected together so all the kids can play at the same time or they can split up and play different games.
* Birthday dinner out at a Japanese Hibachi steak house place. Kids all dressed up nice and it was a nice 'grown up' event for them.
* Birthday party at Water Country USA (a water park). The bday kids family rented a Cabana for the day. They had a park beach towl for each kid. Big tub of ice with water and sodas in it all day long. They had Sunscreen available for the kids. They provided lunch and admittance ticket for anyone that did not have a season pass (most of the kids did have season passes though).
* cookout and bonfire (fire pit in backyard) party
* Sweet 16 party. Birthday girl took 7 of her closest friends to the Kings Dominion amusment park. (This was my daughters birthday). We purchased the tickets at a discount through the military. We rented a big passenger van. Stocked a cooler with juice, water and sodas. Another cooler with all the fixin's for sub sandwhichs. We brought along a basket of muffins and fruit for an on the road breakfast, at lunch we went out to the van and set up a table with a build your own sub bar. We had lots of individual bags of chips and also a big basket of individual sized packs of cookies, snack crackers, rice crispy bars, etc. Plus big containers of cut up fruit salad. We had cupcakes in a cooler for the birthday dessert. After lunch everyone grabbed snack packs to stuff in their pockets and we went back into the park. Dinner was 'every man for himself' since they'd all be scattered around the park. At end of day on trip home everyone had the remaining sandwhich stuff, fruit, snacks, juice, water and sodas.
Oh, we decorated the inside of the van with birthday streamers, signs, etc. It gave a very festive atomosphere and the kids loved it. We had 'goody bags' for the teens. They loved it because it had been a while since they'd gotten 'goody bags' at a birthday party. They had disco bead necklaces with light up flasher things on them, key chains from the amusment park, big swirly suckers from the amusment park, laffy taffy, pixie sticks, jolly ranchers, super sour and super hot jawbreakers, and a few other silly toy prizes that they got a big kick out of.
On the ride to the park I passed out sharpies and a packet of "Hi my name is:_____" name tags. They each had to make a name tag for someone else in the van. And then they had to wear their name tags (on their back) all day. They of course had the 'nothing obscene or illegal' rule. It was a great laugh to see what they came up with. "hi, my name is McLovin", "Hi my name is: Your Dream Girl", "Hi my name is: Your Mom!", "Hi my name is: Jenny, call me @ 555-1212". People walking or standing in line behind them got a good laugh reading the name tags. Everyone said it was the best party they'd ever been to.
Hope these ideas help you out some.

Oh, one more idea. We usually have some pretty fun 'theme' parties for our daughter but for her 15th birthday she opted out of having a party but instead wanted to go to a concert of her 'at the time' favorite band that was playing ON her birthday. We let her take 3 friends. They had dinner before the concert, we supplied the tickets (which were only $25 each) and paid for their dinners. One friend bought her a concert shirt for her present, another gave her the new CD of the band and something else (I forget), and the third gave her cash to get whatever she wanted. That was the cheapest birthday party and the easiest on me planning for it! We made up invitations that looked like a concert ticket which was fun. She already knew they could come, but the invite had all the details like the concert, the location, the time, our contact numbers, etc. that the parents would want.

Last edited by Keeper; 04-21-2009 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Forgot to include something/changed phone #

Old 04-21-2009, 01:00 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,350,292 times
How about Adventure Island? Canoe Escape - kayak or canoe down the Hillsborough River? BBQ/Picnic/Beach at Fort DeSoto's North Beach area?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,728,395 times
Splitsville at Channelside? SPLITSVILLE

Or paintballing?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 50,535 times
You all had great suggestions. Makes me feel much better having an idea or ideas

Old 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,553,330 times
Being a Taurus myself (but much older), I'd suggest you rent a party bus and invite 30 of his closest friends and family. Great time if you've ever done it.

When my daughter was 16, she requested a limo, but she was more into glam. ha!

Either way, please write back afterward and let us know what you did and how it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay