U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,509 times

Advertisements

I am taking a job in st pete and we are looing for a home... have 2 young boys who are active and love the water and 2 labs..... any recommendations on neighborhoods to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 PM

259 posts, read 888,341 times
Congratulations and welcome to the area! I'm about to move away, but this is a wonderful place to live!

I don't know enough to make much of a recommendation, because I can't tell what you like from your post.

Are you planning to send your kids to public school, private school or are you going to home school?

St Pete is a pretty dog-friendly city. There are lots of dog parks, and a great dog beach at Ft DeSoto park. Plenty of restaurants are dog friendly with sidewalk tables and water bowls.

That said, if you are new to the south, please be aware that your car is a death-trap in the warm months (most of the year). A few children and many pets are killed in parked cars every year. Don't leave your child or pet in the car, even if the windows are cracked.

Where to live!

If you are the manicured lawn, controlled conditions type of neighborhood, you might look in Feather Sound.

If you like a fun and funky, Gulfport and the Old Southeast Neighborhoods would be my picks. In Old Southeast, in particular, you are never more than a couple of blocks from the Bay.

Those are three very different neighborhoods. There are lots of good places to live here. What are you looking for?

Old 04-22-2009, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 4,509 times
we are looking for a trully "neighborhood" feeling ..... we are in NC in the country but came from Columbus Ohio where we were in an older neighborhood, very eclectic, artsy, but family feeling. I don't mind public schools if they are good. looking for neighborhood activities to meet other families, get kids involved in "stuff", and the kind of place where people know their neighbors, hang-out outside and talk, etc. thanks for the info already provided!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM

259 posts, read 888,341 times
How much money do you want to spend on a home? That may help define where you go.

Allendale is beautiful in St Pete. Old Northeast and Snell Isle are both nice areas.

I don't have kids so i can't comment on the schools. There are lots of activities for all ages in Pinellas County, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay