U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 PM

3,472 posts, read 3,590,882 times

Advertisements

The area is so safe that it continuously makes it on the top 30 most dangerous cities list. I THINK last I checked, we were #12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 11:46 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,608,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The area is so safe that it continuously makes it on the top 30 most dangerous cities list. I THINK last I checked, we were #12.
Your statement, without proof, holds the same weight as the following statement:

"Tampa is ranked number one for leprechaun murders and unicorn births in the Galaxy"

Please provide some proof to back up your statement. I have provided a few links that tell a different story than your last post.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/23/most-dangerous-cities-lifestyle-real-estate-dangerous-american-cities_slide_17.html?thisSpeed=15000

America's Most Dangerous Cities

Most Dangerous Cities 2009 - WalletPop

FYI, there are 3 cities in florida on the Forbes list, none of which are Tampa. I dont know why tampa bashing is such an "in thing to do" around here.

Last edited by craigm1841; 12-31-2009 at 12:30 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 01:58 AM

An "in thing?" I've probably lived here longer than most posters! And those lists are still inaccurate, I said top 30, the first two are both the Forbes list, and they only go to 15. How is my argument inaccurate?

Old 12-31-2009, 02:19 AM

Top 5 for foreclosures:
Cities worst hit by foreclosures - Jul. 30, 2009

Top 5 for pedestrians:
Report: Tampa Bay area second-most dangerous in U.S. for pedestrians

Top 20 worst neighborhood:
25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

Moderator cut: per OP request

Multiple uses:
Where does Florida rank in most dangerous states? | Tampa Bay, St. Petersburg, Clearwater, Sarasota | WTSP.com 10 Connects

To be fair though, I can't find a top 100 worst cities from a respectable source, and Tampa doesn't hit Forbes top 15.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-07-2010 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM

913 posts, read 661,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTACTROXY View Post
Thanks for your feedback, judging by the comments it sounds that the only thing I need to be concern of is the high amount of sexual offenders in the city..Other than that no much comments about the entertainments, malls, and life style so I assumed in the other aspect TAMP is pretty good Thanks for all your feedback and comments. Feel free to share more if you think I should know more. Favorite place to go.... are the people friendly or superficial? .... THANKS!
I'm a South African transplant living in Tampa for the last year and have been coming over here since I met my wife 8 years ago. We moved over because my wife wanted to be with her family now that we have kids, and she didn't want to move to Africa. I previously lived in London for 10 years.

I find it amusing listening to people moan about traffic. It's hilarious. People here don't have the first idea what traffic is. Go to London for a week and hire a car. You'll know what I mean. Perhaps if you were born in Rexburg ID, you might have a problem. What gets to me more is the distances between places. I eat through miles here.

Drivers here are amongst the rudest, most aggressive and unaccommodating I've come across anywhere. They drive up your rear end, are incapable of seeing turn signals (if you're changing lanes) and their number one priority whilst driving is their cell phone. Reminds me of home (Jo'burg), lol. If you're coming from England though you might struggle. I also hate the big cars. They're not very manoeverable and you don't want to be hit by one of them.

When I first started to come here another thing which killed me was the architecture. Millions of the mass produced, fake rock/wood/brick/spanish/tuscan/mexican/tudor homes along with a billion strip malls and car dealerships. It really can drive you to tears. Don't worry though. If you scratch beneath the surface you'll find some charming 'Old Florida' homes with old fashioned towns and communities. Tarpon Springs comes to mind.

There are loads of things to do here but be warned that it's incredibly easy to fall into 'THE TRAP'! Every city has them, in London it's the pubs, Europe it's the coffee shops and here it's the MAAAALLLLLLLLL! Or should I say the Maul! ....and the fast food joints! Most people come here to enjoy the outdoors, play golf, go fishing, horse riding, the beach etc but are quickly lured into the convenience of the malls. If this happens to you, you'll hate it here.

Touch wood, I haven't had any problems with crime and I don't see it as an issue. Being South African might have skewed my judgement on that. I do worry about paedophiles though.

I think Florida was severely harmed by the oughts. Money gushed in here from every corner of the globe, twisted the locals and complicated life. I see that starting to unwind during this recession and see that as extremely positive (I don't bring that up at bbq's though). Jobs wise that's making life very tough but I think in the long term it will be better.

There's very little smog and even less smug. This is one of Tampa's unique selling points.

I speak under correction but Florida is a right to work state. I see this as a huge positive.

The property tax system is diabolical and is in urgent need of an overhaul. The governor here doesn't seem to know what to do to address this and this leads me to hope and pray that it is a hot topic when next he comes up for re-election. I can't vote but I'll be steering the Mrs and the rest of her family to the 'tax reform' candidate.

Real estate, while still wildly overpriced, is relatively cheap. Homes and condos can be bought on a real showstring.

Oh, and the weather is fantastic. Except the three months at the height of summer

Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM

913 posts, read 661,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
The property tax system is diabolical and is in urgent need of an overhaul. The governor here doesn't seem to know what to do to address this and this leads me to hope and pray that it is a hot topic when next he comes up for re-election. I can't vote but I'll be steering the Mrs and the rest of her family to the 'tax reform' candidate.

On second thought, I've just looked into the candidates. Oh My Dear Lord!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:05 AM

58 posts, read 152,015 times
don't have a black car as it's impossible to keep clean or cool.

the lovebugs are bad a certain time of year.

it's not really as hot as everyone claims.

your blood thins out which makes it easier.

it gets VERY cold in the winter! this winter has been colder than i can take.

check out the brandon area.

checl out the riverview area.

i moved here 10 years ago and would never live anywhere else.

tampa rocks!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,906,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJYFRUIT0 View Post
don't have a black car as it's impossible to keep clean or cool. so is white......

the lovebugs are bad a certain time of year. but of you have a black car you won't see them!!!!!!

it's not really as hot as everyone claims. yes it is.......

your blood thins out which makes it easier. LOLOLOL that's funny!

it gets VERY cold in the winter! this winter has been colder than i can take. true....

check out the brandon area. nooo, way too boring with nothing to do...

checl out the riverview area. even worst, middle of nowhere/snakeland!

tampa rocks!
can't wait to get out of FL.......

Old 03-07-2010, 03:09 PM

329 posts, read 584,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
can't wait to get out of FL.......
BYE!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJYFRUIT0 View Post
don't have a black car as it's impossible to keep clean or cool.

the lovebugs are bad a certain time of year.

it's not really as hot as everyone claims.

your blood thins out which makes it easier.

it gets VERY cold in the winter! this winter has been colder than i can take.

check out the brandon area.

checl out the riverview area.

tampa rocks!
Moderator cut: .. A black car is impossible to keep clean? Come on. Love bugs are bad, this is the only point you've made. It IS as hot as everyone claoms, and it usually does exceed 90 in the summer. I love the heat, so this isn't a problem. The winters usually get around 30, it gets colder also. Brandon is Tampa lite and Riverview is the boonies. Why go to Tampa lite when you can live in Tampa for the same price? I've lived here 22 years, and there are plenty of areas you could get what you're looking for elsewhere. Tampa is a fine city, it also has your problems, and Tampa has it's prizes.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-08-2010 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: keep your comments about the topic not other members
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay