U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 PM

232 posts, read 813,967 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else has been bothered yet. Just noticed them the other day they are all over my yard and at first wasnt for sure what they were since this is our first spring here. For those of you who remember me from other posts my family and I made it down this fall and bought a house near 52. I love it and was a little worried at first due to all the negative posts I seen before moving but we couldnt be happier!!! Now, for the first experience with these nasty little bugs! LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 05:26 PM

149 posts, read 408,720 times
I haven't seen any. Where exactly do you live?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:32 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,051,801 times
I have seen a few (Tampa Palms)

Old 04-26-2009, 07:04 PM

187,012 posts, read 76,911,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shedav View Post
Just wondering if anyone else has been bothered yet. Just noticed them the other day they are all over my yard and at first wasnt for sure what they were since this is our first spring here. For those of you who remember me from other posts my family and I made it down this fall and bought a house near 52. I love it and was a little worried at first due to all the negative posts I seen before moving but we couldnt be happier!!! Now, for the first experience with these nasty little bugs! LOL.
I think you will find they seem to be attracted to the color white. White houses and cars....I've seen the fronts of white semi trailers turned black with them when crossing the states open woodlands. Get them off your car everday or they will eat the paint right off. There is a chemical in them that will go right through the clear coat. Yep they be nasty critters. I personally would rather deal with a 12' gator.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:27 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,051,801 times
Anyone know the history of these pests? I heard it was an experiment back in the 1950's. They wanted to find something that would eat mosquitos. Someone brought the lovebugs over from Japan. Some escaped and they have not only flurished here, but the don't eat the mosquitos they were suppose to do.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 PM

824 posts, read 2,544,604 times
Lovebug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They are actually more attracted to carbon monoxide gas, hence the reason they prefer to hang near highways and are less prevalent in rural or less congested areas.
"
Urban legend holds that lovebugs are synthetic — the result of a University of Florida genetics experiment gone wrong[3]. Speculation about the lovebug abounds. This is partly due to the fact that this insect is an unseen beneficial (lives and feeds in the thatch of grasses) for most of the year. As a result, most scientists are not as concerned with the details of this insect's life cycle, biology and other facets of its existence as they are with more serious pests. For example, while various fungi are known or suspected of being natural controls for this species,[1] time and funding do not allow for more study, except as a side interest.
Research of L. L. Buschman showed that migration explained the introduction of the lovebug into Florida and other southeastern states, contrary to the urban myth that the University of Florida imported them to help control the mosquito population.[4]"
Interesting reading.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:17 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,992,980 times
None where I live

Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM

232 posts, read 813,967 times
We live in pasco county the entrance to our subdivison is on 52. They are just in our yard and we have no white!!!. Not even our cars. Its crazy, I havent checked our neighbors to see if they have them yet but I havent seen them anywhere else either....weird.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 AM

203 posts, read 871,239 times
I've seen them in Ruskin for the last few days.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:39 PM

187,012 posts, read 76,911,148 times
I spotted my first ones in Bartow today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay