U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 11:04 AM

81 posts, read 268,364 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Could someone suggest a good product for fertilization? I got St Augustine grass in my yard and until recently I was paying professionals to do fertilization. I thought of giving it a try myself and bought Scotts Weed & Feed Super Bonus S...I just applied it a week ago and right now I already have some small weeds growing. Looks like the product did not work as I expected. I am wondering what others are using on St Augustine because I know many people are doing it by themselves. Or should I just get back to paying professionals? When they were taking care I never had any weed out of my grass but was expensive.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 12:43 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,713,081 times
I know my friends landscaper suggested that same product. It should have been applied a while ago. It may be too hot to put it down now. I am not sure what temp is considered too hot. I think it may burn your grass if applied when it is too hot. I went to Lowes (Tampa Palms) and found a garden expert there. He has made all kinds of suggestions. We too got rid of Scotts lawn service and are trying it ourselves. We brought in a sample of soil to Lowes due to a problem of dying grass (St. Aug). They told us it was a fungus. They could be your greatest resource. The expert gave us almost a month-by-month to do list.

With Scotts lawn, I still saw weeds. I asked them to spray something to kill the weeds in my yard. He suggested that I get on my hands and knees and pull it up myself! We have had several companies take care of our lawn, with similar results.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:31 PM

81 posts, read 268,364 times
Thank you for good information. I wasn't using Scott's fertilization service but had another company do it for me and they were doing really good job as I never had any weeds and lawn looked great. However, it was very expensive as they would charge $50 for each application and I am trying to cut my cost. So I bought Scotts Weed and Feed Super Bonus S from Lowes to use on my lawn. It didn't burn any grass but weeds have started to pop out and I am wondering there has to be a good fertilizer available for St Augustine without having to go to professional service.

Which fertilizer are you using on your lawn now? Or any good ones you can suggest? Because Scott's weed and feed didn't work on my lawn.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:32 PM

2,638 posts, read 9,896,748 times
I rely on the University of Florida's extension service for information like this. Here are the general recommendations for turf grass fertilization in Florida. The guidelines vary depending on what part of Florida you are in. Scroll down to table 5 for the nitty gritty. Looks like slow release nitrogen is appropriate at this time of year.

SL21/LH014: General Recommendations for Fertilization of Turfgrasses on Florida Soils
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay