Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,712 times

Advertisements

Im currently a hospitalist in Ny. Base pay 150K. Im getting offers for 190 - 200k all over Florida. Should I take it? Where would you go if you were a young guy from NY? (I am looking to get married and have kids eventually)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 09:13 PM

106 posts, read 566,784 times
Default Tampa area

I say you take a look in the Tampa area I was there twice and I am purchasing a house in Valrico which is 15 miles east of Tampa quite communities and easy access to shops with your salary you can afford nice places so good luck.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:47 AM

144 posts, read 696,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmd View Post
Im currently a hospitalist in Ny. Base pay 150K. Im getting offers for 190 - 200k all over Florida. Should I take it? Where would you go if you were a young guy from NY? (I am looking to get married and have kids eventually)
If you're getting $190-$200k offers in the Tampa area, then you are definitely in good company. The decent houses here run about $250-$300k. This would be a 3 to 4 bedroom, 2-baths, 1800 to 2000ish sqft home. But being a doctor making more than an average Tampa family, you can definitely afford more than that. I recommend you find something nice along the outskirts of the Tampa Bay area, this would include Valrico, Apollo Beach, Wesley Chapel, etc.

These places are not too far from where most of the singles hang out. These areas are normally concentrated along the South Tampa area and some places in downtown St. Petersburg, etc. There are other places, too, but I am not very familiar with them.

As for your hospitals, these are the major ones that I know:

- Tampa General
- St. Joseph's
- University
- Brandon Regional

.... and if you're male and looking to meet someone, I have a single, female co-worker with a master's in computer science who is looking for a doctor. ;-)

Old 04-05-2007, 02:24 PM

489 posts, read 2,009,095 times
Being from that area and knowing of all the quality medical care there, I have to also say Tampa or St. Petersburg - even before reading any of the other recommendations here. In the St. Pete area, there is St. Petersburg General, Pasadena Palms, and St. Anthony's in addition to Bayfront Medical Center near downtown St. Pete. Not sure that is all of them. Not only are there some top notch medical facilities there, you will also be in the company of some very fine medical professionals as well. I still drive up to St. Pete for all of my medical needs, even exams, as there are also some very good private practice physicians there, too. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 11,712 times
Thanks for the replies. Im going to schedule some interviews in the Tampa area and maybee Orlando.

Qacer - I may have to take you up on that offer.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:03 PM

10 posts, read 34,843 times
Default Moving you to FL

Hi, Here's my idea: Move to FL. Now. Buy a nice house while it's a buyer's market. Homestead the house right away. That locks in you taxes, and limits the increases. Try the area north of Tampa, such as Spring Hill. The crime is low, schools are good, and it's a recreational PARADISE. Do you like golf or sailing? I have a house right on a canal leading to the Gulf and just LOVE IT. You have peace and quiet here, if you want it, but all the amenities are nearby. Also, being in a business that it at risk for lawsuits... You should know that FL is THE strongest property rights state in the nation. No one can touch your Homestead or wages. There are other asset protection benefits, as well. Angela

Quote:

Old 04-15-2007, 08:16 AM

5 posts, read 21,611 times
Default Me too!

I'm a single doctor too (veterinarian) and I am moving to the Tampa area in July. I will be working in Brandon. I spent a year there doing my internship and it is a nice area. The traffic is horrible all over the greater Tampa area so to keep your sanity live close to where you work unless you are communiting at off peak hours. Tampa has lots of highways but that being said there is still no easy way to get around. Just my opinion. If you have any questions about the Brandon/Valrico areas I may be able to help. Let me know! Best of luck,
Moderator cut: manual signature

Old 04-15-2007, 10:47 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,857,891 times
Being a doctor helps in any area in FL with so many clients needing medical care! Being single in Tampa bay area means you would probably enjoy living in an area where other single live, like Hyde Park, not in areas where there's a lot of retirees or older persons. You probably will have enough of that at work!!Tampa Bay is a good area to live, as well as the Miami area.
Good Luck!!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,172 times
Tampa is really nice to visit and ofcourse the jobs are there. Denpending on what hospital you will be working at, did you get offers from hospitals around the Tampa area? Spring Hill-Brooksville area is really nice and you can get a lot of house for your money. It is about 45 min from Tampa and the commute is great one straight shot. And yes Cortez has great hospitals that is located in Brooksville. If you want to look in Tampa i would look in New Tampa there are nicer homes and away from so much craziness. If you Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Old 04-16-2007, 09:59 AM

144 posts, read 696,134 times
Quote:
Qacer - I may have to take you up on that offer.

Well, just send me a message when you're up for it. She's also good in Salsa dancing, so she might be able to show you around that scene in town.

In the Tampa Bay area scene, there are a couple of places that you might enjoy. Also, Thursday, Tuesday, and Saturday nights are great nights to go out and have fun at the local joints. For example,

- Hyde Park Cafe (South Tampa) - Tuesday (College night), Thursday (Salsa night), and Saturday. Popular with many fine looking females.
- Whiskey Park South (South Tampa) and North (Carrollwood) - Thursday, Friday, and Saturday normally after 10:30PM or so. Also popular with many fine looking females.
- St. Petersburg Downtown - Every first Friday (starting at 5:30PM) of the month is a big block party on Central Ave.
- Blue Martini (near Tampa Airport) - Upscale bar popular with many ladies, but most of the times I've been there, I've only seen older ladies (40+).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay