Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 12:23 PM

849 posts, read 2,909,811 times

Advertisements

Pasco County is the WORST county to drive in. My work takes me through Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco. Pasco's solution to everything is to add a traffic light at every intersection, then mis-time the lights so you have to stop every block, then they wonder why people get impatient and run red lights. It once took me (during rush hour) 15 minutes to drive from US19 and Ridge to US19 and Jasmine. I stopped at every light along the way- Ridge, the one at Steak and Shake, Embassy, Scenic, Fox Hollow, Regency Park, before finally getting to Jasmine. At night, with the lights on yellow, you can make that drive in under 5 minutes.
I lived in the San Fernando Valley of California before coming out here. Their solution to traffic congestion and red light runners was simple: time all the lights on a main thruway to the speed limit on that road. On Reseda Blvd., I could drive from the 101 for MILES before hitting a red light if I set my cruise control for 35. And that's at least 10 signals. That right there prevented speeders (there was no point in speeding if you had to stop at the next light!) and red light runners (people knew they would still get hung up at the next light if they ran one red, and they were less impatient because they didn't have to stop every block!)
I spoke to a guy who works in Pasco Road and Bridge, and he told me the reason why the lights are so bad is because of EMS. He said they use the traffic light changers when they run lights and sirens, and it throws off the light timing because the system isn't smart enough to compensate and get back on time after an emergency vehicle goes through it. Sounds like instead of spending money on stupid "big brother" nonsense like these cameras and more traffic lights, Pasco needs to get a system that works, time the lights properly, and once that is done do a huge ad campaign to prove to drivers that going the speed limit is far more beneficial. Plus, there needs to be more cops in CARS out there to deter this kind of activity. Pasco is NOTORIOUS for being far understaffed in the cop department, and that's why I can go a whole day driving around Pasco and not see a single green and white, then when I get down into Pinellas they roll 3-4 deep at almost every intersection. WAKE UP PASCO! Get some of these idiots out of office we have in charge, and make this county more cutting edge!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:10 AM

30,146 posts, read 20,857,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Pasco County is the WORST county to drive in. My work takes me through Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco. Pasco's solution to everything is to add a traffic light at every intersection, then mis-time the lights so you have to stop every block, then they wonder why people get impatient and run red lights. It once took me (during rush hour) 15 minutes to drive from US19 and Ridge to US19 and Jasmine. I stopped at every light along the way- Ridge, the one at Steak and Shake, Embassy, Scenic, Fox Hollow, Regency Park, before finally getting to Jasmine. At night, with the lights on yellow, you can make that drive in under 5 minutes.
I lived in the San Fernando Valley of California before coming out here. Their solution to traffic congestion and red light runners was simple: time all the lights on a main thruway to the speed limit on that road. On Reseda Blvd., I could drive from the 101 for MILES before hitting a red light if I set my cruise control for 35. And that's at least 10 signals. That right there prevented speeders (there was no point in speeding if you had to stop at the next light!) and red light runners (people knew they would still get hung up at the next light if they ran one red, and they were less impatient because they didn't have to stop every block!)
I spoke to a guy who works in Pasco Road and Bridge, and he told me the reason why the lights are so bad is because of EMS. He said they use the traffic light changers when they run lights and sirens, and it throws off the light timing because the system isn't smart enough to compensate and get back on time after an emergency vehicle goes through it. Sounds like instead of spending money on stupid "big brother" nonsense like these cameras and more traffic lights, Pasco needs to get a system that works, time the lights properly, and once that is done do a huge ad campaign to prove to drivers that going the speed limit is far more beneficial. Plus, there needs to be more cops in CARS out there to deter this kind of activity. Pasco is NOTORIOUS for being far understaffed in the cop department, and that's why I can go a whole day driving around Pasco and not see a single green and white, then when I get down into Pinellas they roll 3-4 deep at almost every intersection. WAKE UP PASCO! Get some of these idiots out of office we have in charge, and make this county more cutting edge!!!!
You are dead on. Driving around this low class area is insane unless it's at 1am in the moring. Driving from Port richey to north Tampa is unreal, every light stops you time after time both ways.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,446 times
Default I got nailed

I got nailed with a $158.00 dollar fine, and was told if I appeal it the fine would double. Worst part is I didn't even know I did it, Because it was rainning so bad and the car in front of me was washing out my windshield so bad, when I seen the light it was green. then this guy cuts over from the slow lane to the fast lane and took out all my vision with the spray from his car.. so I didn't know I went through the light untill it was to late... I Talked to one deputy he watched the video and agreed, but the one that made the judgement call never returned my calls. I now have a new found distrust for portrichy police.....
I don't deny I did it after watching the video, I paid the fine, but it is still wrong for them to do what they did.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,526,550 times
I think snow birds are bad drivers too, specially when I lived in Bradenton we had to deal with them almost 6 month's out of the year...

Snow birds are from Out of State so it seems other STates have bad drivers too...!

Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times
I think that these lights are a bunch of crap!!!!I locked up my brakes last night trying to stop at one of the lights that have the camera.Stopped before the line and got rear ended!So I think these lights are just terrible!!!You cant win u speed up going through one u get a ticket u try to stop right away and get in a accident???Come on this is crazy!!!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,125,196 times
Instead of spending all this money on cameras and cops, how about getting some shovels out and breaking some ground for some badly needed overpasses. Create some desperately needed jobs as well. US 19 in Pinellas used to be a nightmare and now you have overpasses at Sunset Point, 588,Drew St, Whitney, Roosevelt , etc. Put it to a vote if neccessary, I wouldn't mind paying an extra penny or 2 in sales tax if the money went to build some overpasses.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:20 PM

393 posts, read 1,493,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee42685 View Post
I think that these lights are a bunch of crap!!!!I locked up my brakes last night trying to stop at one of the lights that have the camera.Stopped before the line and got rear ended!So I think these lights are just terrible!!!You cant win u speed up going through one u get a ticket u try to stop right away and get in a accident???Come on this is crazy!!!
Sorry to hear that. I got nailed with a $150 ticket in St. Pete and now I'm paranoid. My advice is just to be hyper aware of where the cameras are and slow down long before you approach the lights - even when green.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:27 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,293,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee42685 View Post
I locked up my brakes last night trying to stop at one of the lights that have the camera. Stopped before the line and got rear ended! Come on this is crazy!!!
Yes, locking up your brakes to stop at a traffic light is crazy. It means you don't know how to drive. You should have your license suspended for a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay