Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 06:43 AM

371 posts, read 1,259,289 times

Advertisements

I know you are asked this all the time, and I have been reading this site, but any advice would help and be sooo appreciated! Checking the MLS and Craigslist still doesn't help me see the 'whole' neighborhood!

Was relocating to Sarasota, but now looking at Tampa b/c of job availability ( I'm a nurse) and housing still being affordable. Want the family friendly, progressive thinking area, safe with 'A' rated elementary schools ( how, by the way do you find out what district the home falls in?). I also want a neighborhood where we can walk- a lot- to either nearby food stores, coffee shops, etc and just around the neighborhood. Community pool, playgrounds, etc also a big plus. Need close restaurants, shopping, malls, etc, too since even a 20min drive to these things seems a bit far.

From this site I assume Riverview, Valrico or Wesley Chase, maybe Brandon ( ???) Out of those, do any fit my wants better?

Oh, and price...135K or less if possible?

thankyou, thank you for any advise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 08:16 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,653,627 times
I live in Tampa Palms. I can walk (10 - 15 minutes) to Publix (our supermarket). In the same shopping center is: Blockbusters, 2 banks, 4 restaurants (one is a take out chinese and the other is Subway), Steinmart (clothing), Hallmark cards, vet office (though it's not mine), sports store (in case you need a baseball mit or something) and a few smaller shops. In a different direction off of Bruce B. Downs, on Amberly (a bit longer walk) is some more restaurants, and some shops and exercise gym.

Within a 15 minute drive we have Moffitt, University Community Hospital, VA hospital, Shrinners and doctors offices, and clinics galore.

Problem: I am not sure what you are going to get for $135k. Are you looking for a house? A one or two bedroom condo? Further up the road on Highwoods Preserve (with plenty of shops, restaurants, Home Depot, etc) are nice condos called the Equestrian (or something like that). Nearby to that is the condo's associated with Richmond Place. Also look to see if what you want is on Cross Creek Blvd.

Many of these places have community pools and some have playgrounds. There are playgrounds all over the place.

Tampa Palms (and other schools in New Tampa area) are "A" rated. My kids went to Tampa Palms Elementary, which is an "A" rated school. I took my kids out of there, because it just wasn't a good fit. I have them in an environmentally based charter school, which takes me 10 to 15 minutes to drive. It goes from pre-k to 8th grade. They come out very ready for high school. We came from NJ and found the schools are at least 1 year behind and lack many other things like foreign language, dance program, music program, a great art program, 1/2 hour for eating lunch, then a half hour for reccess (every day). Here they only allow 1/2 hour for lunch, then MAYBE 10 minutes once a week, if the teacher feels like it.

I don't know much about Valrico or Brandon. They don't have as many deed restricted communities as the New Tampa area has. I believe they also have route 60 which has many shops and restaurants. I don't know how walkable they are. I know New Tampa is a mix of progressive (like myself) and conservative. All of Tampa is a mix, unless you go out into the country part of this area.

Oh, we really don't have coffee shops or dinners like up north. I have not seen too many in the 4 years here.

You can DM if you have any more questions about this area.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:02 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Liza, you can see most of the area's neighborhoods on either Maps.Google.com (Street View) and on Maps.Live.com (Bird's Eye and Aerials).

And in your price range, you can expect to find either a short sale or a bank-owned property in the south portion of the county (Riverview/Gibsonton/Apollo Beach).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay